Cho bought the ammo clips on ****.... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Cho bought the ammo clips on ****....

I was just reading this on the news

The VA Tech shooter bought some of his ammo clips on the bay using ID "blazers5505"
There was one purchase from seller "oneclickshooting" that has been removed from the site. They will all be removed pretty soon.

auction # 140098812797 for more ammo clips is still online....plus a few others where he sold some Hokies tickets, and a calculator (after dropping from the class).

Heavy ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 01:03 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Cho bought the ammo clips on ****....

You can't police **** or any other auction sites for selling LEGAL merch.
THey'd have to shut down www.gunbroker.com
Good luck on that one.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 09:23 AM

BTW, those are "magazines" and not "clips". The mass media misinformation campaign continues.....
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 09:49 AM

why has he been revoved from e-Bay? it's not illegal to sell ammo, is it?
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:48 AM

the life here at VT isn't the same.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
BTW, those are "magazines" and not "clips". The mass media misinformation campaign continues.....
Indeed. The media is grasping at straws. They haven't been able to peg any blame on the usual suspects: music, video games, and movies (except for one), so they have to go after e-bay, of all places.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex10 View Post
why has he been revoved from e-Bay? it's not illegal to sell ammo, is it?
That kind of thing is done in "self defense" sometimes. When they caught the "Son of Sam" killer in NY, the town changed the number on his house to keep people from looking for it. If I worked for the 'Bay I'd want his accounts removed as well, to keep people from searching for his ID for years and bogging down the servers for everyone else.

Also, I don't know that there's much of a point here with this thread. He legally bought burgers at BK and socks at Target as well. If people want to talk, fine, but if the thread gets way off topic it will be closed.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 11:04 AM

Reviews: 18

Cho's sister works as a contractor for the Dept. of State and she hasn't been to work since last week. No one knows where she is and the big rumour is that the Korean gov't has been moving them from place to place on a daily basis. Fairfax County PD has been sitting outside their house in Chantilly since last week and they haven't seen anyone go in or out of the house. For some reason, I have a feeling that he must've sent something to his family in advance at the same time he sent the stuff to NBC News.

This dude was apparently getting picked on in high school for his diction by many kids. When interviewed on tv, his own great aunt referred to him as an idiot. It's interesting how people's dirty laundry begins to surface after they're gone.

The thing that bothers me the most is that the NRA has so much power to control the policies of this country regarding handguns that it will never be shut down. I think the laws conerning the acquisition of guns need to be revamped in a big way. If someone whom has been declared "a danger to himself and possibly others", by a court of law, shouldn't be able to acquire a gun period. Once again, the amount of control the NRA has over gun distribution is simply incredible. If you're sent to a loonie bin, why would that not show on the background check that is required by Virginia law to obtain a gun????

Jimmy
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
The thing that bothers me the most is that the NRA has so much power to control the policies of this country regarding handguns that it will never be shut down. I think the laws conerning the acquisition of guns need to be revamped in a big way. If someone whom has been declared "a danger to himself and possibly others", by a court of law, shouldn't be able to acquire a gun period. Once again, the amount of control the NRA has over gun distribution is simply incredible. If you're sent to a loonie bin, why would that not show on the background check that is required by Virginia law to obtain a gun????

Jimmy
The NRA does not support people who have been deemed by the legal to be a danger to themselves and others owning firearms. I know this because I'm a member of the NRA.

The fact is the legal system and the health care system dropped the ball on this one. I freaked out when I heard about his mental health status.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 PM

Actually it's pretty irrelevant where he got the clips, ammo, or the guns. He could have just as easily bought them from a individual selling them in the want ads of the local news paper.

Gun regulations do not need revised or those of us who do legally own guns will certainly be turned into criminals also. As usual we have a knee jerk reaction to a terrible incident.

For anyone who thinks criminals or those with limited mental capacity will not find a way to perpetrate their crime, severely under estimate their intentions and capabilities to achieve their goal.

Just look at the hijackers on 9/11.... not one carried a gun! As for those in other countries that have gun bans..... it did not stop the bombings in Britain or Spain.

Or how about the old guy who ran down all the people in a flea market a few years back with his car???? He was pissed off at something that happen to him.

Do you propose we ban cars too? How about sticks, baseball bats, chains, knives, or any other inanimate object that could potentially be used as a weapon?

Guns are not the problem..... It's society's adversion to use violence to respond as our reaction to anger.

As far as mental issues..... not everyone who seeks mental health help is a danger to themselves or those around them. Should we make anyone seeking help from a mental health professional a target of additional scrutiny?

The fact remains that many who have been deemed a danger to themselves and others have overcome their problems and gone on to lead normal and productive lives. Those individuals should be re-evaluated and allowed to exercise their constitutional rights..... including owning a gun.

Until we as a society (human race) realize there will be mass murderers and criminals in every sect of life and there is little we can do except be vigilant and continue to maintain the capability to protect ourselves. Otherwise we're going to continually place blame in the wrong areas. All the while waiting and watching the next tragedy unfold.

But that's just my opinion.... YMMV.

Last edited by jemplayer55; 04-23-2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: spelling....
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 12:20 PM
site founder 0% owner

^^ agree with all (it's not a gun or e-bay or other problem just an overall society problem) but i do place a small burden of responsibility on the mental health professionals and school(s).

first "mental health" is very broad... can cover post partum depression to a pedophile. need parameters and focus when screening. this seems to be botched clinically, not legally. Many red flags ignored, but we can all monday morning QB any problem after it happens

second, schools and universities tend to hide crimes and brush problems under the rug to help future enrollment (some cities actually do this even in highshools, etc.). Expulsion of a student is lost revenue and possible litigation and certainly bad press and blemish to enrollment. They have their own "security" and the like to cover up small problems.

There were several red flags to his overall stability including a teacher threatening to QUIT if he wasn't removed from class. i don't know many professors willing to forgo pension, healthcare and a very nice salary for no reason. Not a rocket science here.

It's also not to say some seemingly normal person with no red flags can't do something similar in the future... cause stuff happens... glen
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 12:40 PM

I agree Glen..... too many universities as well as military academies sweep too much (problems or incidents) under the carpet. Until we each face our own inner villain and are willing to share..... we'll continue to have seemingly unprovoked and unexpected acts of violence.

The mental health issues have gone under the radar too long also. I'll bet most would be shocked at the number of people incarcerated as criminals that actually have some form of mental illness and don't belong in prison.

We have no real way of determining just how fragile a persons mental state is or addressing it until it's so fractured it creates a tragedy for someone else.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:14 PM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: Cho bought the ammo clips on ****....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
I agree Glen..... too many universities as well as military academies sweep too much (problems or incidents) under the carpet. Until we each face our own inner villain and are willing to share..... we'll continue to have seemingly unprovoked and unexpected acts of violence.

The mental health issues have gone under the radar too long also. I'll bet most would be shocked at the number of people incarcerated as criminals that actually have some form of mental illness and don't belong in prison.

We have no real way of determining just how fragile a persons mental state is or addressing it until it's so fractured it creates a tragedy for someone else.
Where would you propose we put them if they have killed another human being or done some major crime that deems a prison sentence?. I'm not trying to start an argument that will go on for days for one. Secondly, while I do realize that there may be some card carrying members of the NRA on this site, I still believe that the NRA is an organization that needs to be tamed (and I mean really tamed).

With that being said, I believe that if you are planning on going to college and you have some sort of mental problem, it should be noted on that person's file whether it's good or bad. I know no one is perfect but, if that's how things need to go, so be it. As far as the colleges are concerned, they should be held accountable for incindents like the one last monday. I think the whole system is full of flaws. Not only did the teacher threaten to quit if the kid wasn't removed from her class but, the tutor that was assigned to him went to the dept. of student affairs and the cops, told them what was going on and they did nothing.

On a side note, there is a congresswoman from NY whom for the last 10 years has been submitting legislature to congress on gun control requiring that the NRA be dissolved and it keeps on getting tossed and tossed out. In that time, both her husband and her son died out of interesting causes. Let's face it guys, most people in the DC area know that the NRA has polititians from both sides in their pockets and they basically have control of congress either way.

I agree that even if the guy couldn't have obtained the guns legally he would have gotten them from someone else but, the chances of him acquiring a gun at that point would have been minimal because it's not like you can go to thug.com and find a thug in your area.

Jimmy
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:40 PM
site founder 0% owner

we make it easy for criminals and deviants, that is for sure.

i am for legal gun ownership, but i find it disturbing that handguns (ie. concealed weapons) can be purchased LEGALLY at pawnshops and the like in some states and AMMO can be mail-ordered again without any registration, etc.

i go thru more "security" just putting my older daugther into Shoprite Grocery Stores's child play area for a half hour in "scrunchy's playhouse".

just another example of a dysfunctional system in which we live... glen
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
i am for legal gun ownership, but i find it disturbing that handguns (ie. concealed weapons) can be purchased LEGALLY at pawnshops and the like in some states and AMMO can be mail-ordered again without any registration, etc.
When a pawnshop sells a firearm, they put the buyer through the same Federal background check process that a dedicated firearms store does. As a matter of fact, anyone can legally sell firearms if they possess an FFL (Federal Firearms License) which is not that easy to get to being with.

The reason pawnshops often get an FFL is so they can buy firearms off of people (when they pawn them). While some pawnshops do sell new firearms most of the ones I have been into only deal in used ones. I've had a local pawnshop handle firearms transfers for me quite a few times when I've purchased firearms from out-of-state dealers. As a matter of fact, you cannot just walk into a gun store and buy a gun if you do not reside in that (gun store's) state. You can pay for it there but it has to be shipped to an FFL holder in your state and they deal with the background check.

Anyone selling ammunition via mail order/the internet makes sure the person buying the ammunition can legally do so in the state the ammunition is being shipped to. As you know there is no background check for purchasing ammunition so that's as far as it goes.

In general, unless one is a shooting enthusiast, most folks are not very familia with local and/or federal firearms regulations. It's not as easy to legally purchase a firearm as some people and the media make it out to be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode