cholesterol levels - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

cholesterol levels

to the "younger" kids out there, they'll see this thread as an old man thread...hehe. well, i'm 38, and you may think that's old. that's cool, you'll be there too some day, and you'll realize not much has changed except more stress.

anyway, a pre-op physical last year when i had shoulder surgery showed high cholesterol. full blood work. i'm a little freaked out, as i don't eat what they told me to stay away from. cut out red meat, eggs, fatty foods, etc. well, i RARElY eat steak of any kind and i'm not into greasy or fried foods...i don't even use butter! i do enjoy my coffee with sugar and have cut down on pop over the last year...i'm just tired of it. never was too big into it anyway. i told the dr. and nurse i'm mainly into pasta and rice and potatoes...all of which they said to cut down, and eat more fruits and veggies and excercise. i walk A LOT but i guess more cardio could help.

so i was told to take another test next year....just had one a few weeks ago and the results are below. if it doesn't lower, i will probably have to go on lipitor. seems my body is producing too much LDL, which is the bad stuff. this sux. they said not to be freaked out...but, it's hard not to be.

222 - total cholesterol (should be under 200)
154 - LDL (should be under 130)
43 - HDL (ok they said, but higher is better)
126 - Triglycerites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 12:36 PM

Reviews: 15
Re: cholesterol levels

Cholesterol levels have more to do with you genetics than anything that you eat. There are a bunch of foods out there that you can eat that have a positive affect on your levels. Drink green tea, eat nuts, eat fish, etc. Also moderate alcohol consumption can lower bad cholesterol.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-man...ol-fast?page=3
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:39 PM

Everybody in my family has high levels. I'm 41. My total two years ago was 273. Not a fan of meds, I cranked up my workout routine several notches and completely changed my diet, added a lot more fiber, etc. After 6 months of that it was 265. I relented and started taking Lipitor. After a little over ONE MONTH it was 160.

I still work out a lot, but I eat whatever I want. Better living through chemistry.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 12:55 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespauled View Post
Cholesterol levels have more to do with you genetics than anything that you eat. There are a bunch of foods out there that you can eat that have a positive affect on your levels. Drink green tea, eat nuts, eat fish, etc. Also moderate alcohol consumption can lower bad cholesterol.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-man...ol-fast?page=3
Yes, yes--YES! I've had high cholesterol for several years. I cut out every" bad" stuff the doc told me to. The levels went a little lower, but not enough. After several more tests, they blamed it on genetics, as everyone on my mom's side has the same problem. They started me on Lipitor two years ago and it took mylevels to a closer to normal range.I love Lipitor! I can now eat ice cream and tons of cheese again and not have to worry about anyting other than gaining a few pounds.

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

while Lipitor is a good thing for lowering the numbers, i'm not convinced it is an overall good thing. in a nutshell, that statin blocks the production of the "bad cholesterol", which in turn changes other things. it's not fixing the issue, just preventing something by putting a bandaid on it. I have read that lower cholesterol levels have been associated with higher rates of cancer. statin drugs block the synthesis of mevalonate, which is vital in the body's synthesis of cholesterol. blocking this step, every following step is also blocked. the synthesis of Coenzyme and squalene, both precursors to cholesterol, is also blocked. Coenzyme Q10 is very important for heart function, as it acts as an antioxidant in conjunction with Vitamin E. it is important in energy metabolism in the function of muscles, which is why muscle pain is a common side effect of statin drugs. i'm not saying it is going to really hurt you if you take it but it takes away from other functions by lowering the numbers chemically. working out and cardio and diet will help but only so much, as it is genetics mainly. what is good for someone else may not be good for you. that is why the numbers are used as a scale, or starting point of reference. i don't think i will be going on lipitor even if my dr. wants me to. i have heard of too many other people having other issues because of it...again, not saying it's a bad thing. if it's life or death, yes, i'll take it, after researching it even more, but i will prevent it for as long as i can.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 08:33 PM

I am a medical student, and I can pretty firmly say that it's not really what you eat, but the caloric intake that will define your lipid profile. The body is able to convert carbs into proteins and fatty acids, proteins into carbs and fatty acids, etc. The only thing it can't do is make FA's into glucose, but that's besides the point. The big thing that's always stressed for cholesterol/fat decrease is eat less and excessive more. Simple solution, but a hell of a lot harder to maintain than you think. Of course, different people, different cases, and your genetics have a lot of say, but decreasing calories and increasing exercise will invariably change your lipid profile in a positive way. If you haven't read the article about the "twinkie diet," I suggest you do so. It's not a real diet, but an article about the nature of calories.

Last edited by bobombom; 01-08-2011 at 09:36 PM.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 08:39 PM

Oh, and shredmaster is pretty much correct about statins. It's an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor, so it will have effects on both LDL and many other bodily functions. Don't take it unless you have to. However, it's not as bad for you as many internet articles may state. Is lipitor the only thing your doctor mentioned? Bile acid chealators or the new class of drugs, Ezetimibe (intestinal cholesterol channel blocker) may be worth a look.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 09:38 PM

Reviews: 39

I ate like the whole edge off a brick of Romano cheese, and some summer sausage today.

My 30's are gonna suck.

And probably my next bowel movement.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post
I ate like the whole edge off a brick of Romano cheese, and some summer sausage today.
nicely done
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

bobombom- thanks for the info. he really didn't mention anything, so i was assuming lipitor. i am sure if i logged everything that i ate, i would be surprised, however, we don't eat red meat or beef much at all. it's chicken, rice, pasta, cereal, milk. that's pretty much me. i won't give up pasta, no way! what i'm doing now, is elliptical 3-4 times a week average, and drinking more water. maybe a can of coke every 2 days. i do have my coffee and tea at night, with sugar. that's my intake for the most part. my sugar levels are really good. it's just the LDL and HDL that are off. my LDL is 154 and HDL is 48 i think. maybe 43. i know HDL should be higher than LDL....but i'm way off. I have heard it's bad, then I have also heard it's ok. I'm not heavy but I would like to lost 10 lbs to really trim up / tone up. That will help too. HOWEVER, I have been reading health forums and there was this guy, almost a vegetarian and drank only water. He was a track athlete and workout fiend. His numbers were worse than mine! A year later, he was even worse! No reason for that. His body was overproducing is all. We're all different, so maybe his high numbers are good for him? I don't know anymore.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 01:10 PM

Your values aren't that bad though. Normal for LDL's is anywhere from 60 - 130 and HDL's, 30 - 130. The only time we ever consider it significantly bad is if either value exceeds 200. The ideal scenario would be when your HDL's and LDL's are at similar values around 80 or 90.
As a future healthcare provider, I know I'm not supposed to say this because it causes a lot of temptation, but in all honesty, you can eat whatever you want to as long as your energy intake composition looks like this: 45 - 65% carbohydrates, 20 - 35% fats, and 10 - 35% proteins. These ratios should be within your daily caloric allotment. You don't ever have to give up pasta...you may have to tweak the portion size though.
As for exercise, elliptical is great, but stairmaster is ideal. Stair workouts result in the biggest increase in plasma free fatty acids during workouts, meaning that you are using more FFA's as your source of workout energy. Just my two cents.
I don't really think your levels are currently that bad that you have to take lipitor, but listen to your health care provider I guess. If you can, try increasing fish oils in your diet. That will increase HDL's to an extent.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 06:32 PM

Reviews: 4

Most doctors don't know **** (take your pick of which obscenity).

Carbs are the killer, not fat and not meat.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 PM

I don't know if I should take offense to that. I'm not a doctor yet, but I can tell you first hand that our medical training is far from easy.
Secondly, no offense but you are absolutely incorrect about carbs. The recent interest in carbs is because of its high caloric value and relative ease of taking in large amounts of it. The real "killer" is caloric intake. Biochemically, carbohydrates can interconvert between fats and proteins, so your statement holds no truth.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:11 PM

Oh, and my statement is not to be taken contentiously. I'm just stating a fact. Not trying to start a fight.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:39 PM

Reviews: 4

Whatever. I know how science works.

Those "in the know" proclaim what is and what ain't. Then after a while, someone proves different and the "scientific community" screams "IT CANNOT BE TRUE!".

Until they say "Of COURSE it's true! Isn't self-correcting science wonderful?"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode