Coffee - again - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Coffee - again

I know there is a coffee thread somewhere, but rather than impose on someone elses thread with a problem of my own, I've taken the time to start a new one myself.

Right, well, here goes (sigh).

Well, at home for some time, we've been trying to brew up a good coffee. We have a filter machine, and a perculator and one of those Bodum jugs with the push down thing.

For a while, they all taste like ****, no matter what coffee we put in it, filter coffee or coffee made for all coffee makers, just ****. And it's decent coffee too, no cheap stuff.

No matter what we do, ****.

So I thought, hmm maybe there is a problem with our machines, so I bought some of those filters you put on top of the mug and put the coffee in yourself, then you put the sieve on and pour hot water in.

I did it as per the instructions, but still, ****, **** **** ****.

What is going wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:19 PM

Re: Coffee - again

Ask the hulk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz8xwsiSoQ0
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:28 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

did you try a different coffee in terms of actual bean and the way it was ground (finer vs courser) & actually roasted? you might want to try a different brand coffee,perhaps your taste buds no longer agree with the roast.

i've had some "fine coffee" taste like total drek because i just don't like the flavor or roast. i find too our taste buds change in that we might require milk or sugar at times (if you drink it black) to offset the bitters in the coffee

these machines are pretty much idiot proof but you might want to descale (google it) the drip machine and make sure you're starting with fresh, cold water.

my permanent solution would be to purchase a good espresso machine and leave the drip coffee and equivalent to guests .. glen
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I thought about the descaling, so before I went to any trouble, I bought those 'on cup' filters to give it a go, still no good, but as you say, could try some other blends, as we're doing it as it's supposed to be done.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:46 PM

Una greca y un chin de cafe cubano.. problem solved!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Banned

im a bit of a coffee addict.heres how you make a nice brew, forget about perculators n stuff.boil a pan of milk,pour the hot milk into a mug THEN add the coffee (always put milk or water in first) if you pour hot water or milk onto the coffee this burns the coffee,thats why coffee tastes funny.there ya go nice brew.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Dee

Ant, seeing as you're from the UK, maybe you can find coffee by Brian Wogan. I know it's a funny name, and no, I don't think he's related to Terry, but Brian Wogan's After Dinner blend is just supreme. Try it, if you ever get a chance.

http://www.wogancoffee.co.uk/
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reccomendation.

At the moment, instants are tasting better to me!! That's saying something too! Douwe Egberts is an instant I like.

At the moment, I've got some Twinings Filter coffee, I'll check the blend and report back.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:19 PM

Another couple of coffees to try are Illy and Lavazza, with Illy being my favourite. I'm sure you can pick some up from either Tesco or Sainsburys.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:31 PM
HSH

We're being bombarded with commercials from bocajavadotcom who claim that the coffee we all drink is stale because it's roasted weeks or months before we drink it. They roast to order, and ship. Not a commercial for them here, I've never tried them, but lately I'm beginning to wonder. I'm in the states, buy Starbucks or store brand, and at home it all tastes like cat pee. Kind of smells like it, too, so I'm thinking there's an ammonia component (now there's a band name!) happening. Might try the mail order, as I drink a lot of coffee and need it to taste good. I use a press, btw, no drip. It made a huge diff over the automatic. Guess you could say it's a stick shift!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

This is what I've been attempting to drink, it's the intense one on the right of the photo, strength 5.

http://www.twinings.co.uk/coffee_product.asp
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 03:01 PM

How is your water? It might also be that your coffee maker needs a good internal cleaning. It's amazing how much difference that can make.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 03:37 PM

Like Gurj said, Illy is the best coffee on the planet. I prefer the dark roast. Plus, the empty cans are great storage. You can order direct from their website. I order 2 cases at a time , one dark roast and one regular.

Try french press, that's how I make it. I like to taste a little of the ground bean on the roof of my mouth, so I grind it a little longer than recommended because I want some to trickle through the french press.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Just made another one, threw the ****ing **** straight into the sink. Colour is all wrong, looks weak, looks like watery ****.

Just don't get it.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 04:19 PM
HSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981 View Post
Just made another one, threw the ****ing **** straight into the sink. Colour is all wrong, looks weak, looks like watery ****.

Just don't get it.
Seems as though, through trial and error, you've eliminated the machinery, if indeed you have the same bad results with all. That leaves the coffee or the water. Have your water analyzed. Try a pot with bottled water, as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode