College Applications - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 563
College Applications

Ahh, that brilliant time of my senior year has arrived... and finally hit me. I've been working on applications for the past three months (cutting into guitar time, but I'll have plenty of time to play guitar once I'm in college).

So far, I've sent in my application to Oxford, and have my applications for Columbia and MIT due this Saturday. So, it being my last week before they're due, I'm going to be pulling all-nighters like crazy.

Plus I've got my UC: Berkeley app due next month, and the apps for UPenn, Stanford, Rensselaer, and Syracuse due in January.

Sorry, I just felt like I needed to type this, it feels a lot better getting something off my chest. It'll feel even better once my first two American applications are sent in.
CityofBlindingLights is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 12:46 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 2,639
Re: College Applications

Did you say you'll have plenty of time to play guitar in college? With the schools your applying for you'll see a definite cut in playing time. I know your probably very very smart if your going to try and get in those schools but even if your course work isn't difficult it is still very time consuming. I have yet to be truly challenged in college and i am senior, however i have been extremely hard pressed because of the time. I am taking 18 hours, none of the classes are extremely hard but I can't always devote the amount of time needed to be successful.

the best advice is go off to school, dont stay at home and treat school like a job and not like school. I mean you dont go to work for a couple of hours then go home then come back. wake up study/read go to class study read after class and go till however long it takes but not less.
j.arledge is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 12:54 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 1,847
Re: College Applications

Hey man good luck. But remember the schools name is improtant and those schools are obviously good for a reason. But in high school they seem more important than they end up being when you are job hunting. Keep it in mind so you won't feel too much pressure.
kotornut is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 563
Re: College Applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
Did you say you'll have plenty of time to play guitar in college? With the schools your applying for you'll see a definite cut in playing time. I know your probably very very smart if your going to try and get in those schools but even if your course work isn't difficult it is still very time consuming. I have yet to be truly challenged in college and i am senior, however i have been extremely hard pressed because of the time. I am taking 18 hours, none of the classes are extremely hard but I can't always devote the amount of time needed to be successful.

the best advice is go off to school, dont stay at home and treat school like a job and not like school. I mean you dont go to work for a couple of hours then go home then come back. wake up study/read go to class study read after class and go till however long it takes but not less.
Haha, I know what college coursework is like. Two years ago, I went to Stanford for their summer program for high school students, and am also now taking a course in quantum mechanics at Columbia.

But what I'm referring to, in terms of having more time, is no more standardized testing (except GREs in my junior year, and maybe MCATs) and no more long and annoying applications.
CityofBlindingLights is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 07:48 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: south carolina
Posts: 295
Re: College Applications

Instead youll be doing long annoying projects and homework assignments and reading. I also did very well in HS and college but, regardless of doing well and not being challenged too hard, I spent a ton of time just getting the work done with 18 hours each semester to graduate on time. Definitely cut into my guitar playing a good bit :P

good luck though
CalledToArms is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 6,973
Reviews: 1
Re: College Applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
the best advice is go off to school, dont stay at home and treat school like a job and not like school. I mean you dont go to work for a couple of hours then go home then come back. wake up study/read go to class study read after class and go till however long it takes but not less.
I have to disagree quite strongly on this. My advice would be to treat college whichever way works for you!

Many of my friends liked to study on campus. I couldn't concentrate in the libraries and reading rooms as an undergrad so I used to spend as little time as possible on campus. I'd go home as soon as I could, where I felt happier, I could spread out all my materials, papers, textbooks and notes and learn as I wanted to learn.

You just need to do what ever suits your learning style. Having said that you seem to have selected some great schools, and there will be a lot of pressure on you to keep on top of everything. Guitar can take a back seat for a while. However I'd also remind you to keep everything in perspective and make sure you get a true work/life balance
jono is online  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:31 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 2,639
Re: College Applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I have to disagree quite strongly on this. My advice would be to treat college whichever way works for you!

Many of my friends liked to study on campus. I couldn't concentrate in the libraries and reading rooms as an undergrad so I used to spend as little time as possible on campus. I'd go home as soon as I could, where I felt happier, I could spread out all my materials, papers, textbooks and notes and learn as I wanted to learn.

You just need to do what ever suits your learning style. Having said that you seem to have selected some great schools, and there will be a lot of pressure on you to keep on top of everything. Guitar can take a back seat for a while. However I'd also remind you to keep everything in perspective and make sure you get a true work/life balance
true i should have phrased that differently. You should find what works best for you. I do my work when i am at school because i dont have the distractions of home. I found a nice little study room in the basement of my school's libary and that is where i go when i have a lot of work to do.

So yes you need to find what works best for you. all i mean to say is find out which way lets you devote the most time to be sucessful.
j.arledge is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:16 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,282
Reviews: 3
Re: College Applications

The best advice I can give is to just stick with it once you get there. Even if you change majors 4 times, just stick with it. I am finishing up my bachelors degree and will be hitting 27 years old when I do. I've taken enough credits to probably have two or three degrees by now. The biggest mistake I made was after I lost hope in my initial major (journalism), I left school. No matter how difficult anyone thinks going to school is, going back is 1,000 times more difficult.

In regards to where you live... everyone is different. Lame answer, I know, but it's true. Some people will find dorm life too distracting. You have crazy roommates, parties, feuds with neighbors, parties, etc. Some people think life at home is the same way with disagreements with parents, always traveling to be with friends, feeling like you're missing out on the campus experience, etc. There can be negatives to both sides. When I was in the dorms, I was very easily distracted (although I would've been the same at home). I was always wandering the streets checking out the city and whatnot during the day. When my roommates were gone I got most of my studying done. I lucked out that they were both athletes and were away often... because otherwise we'd be playing video games or stuff like that. This was prior to there being a Starbucks every 25 feet in Chicago, otherwise that would've been a good study spot.

At any rate, good luck. I remember back in high school there was no better feeling than getting accepted into all my top choices and getting that final decision made before Thanksgiving break my senior year. At that point, there was nothing more to worry about than enjoying the rest of high school and getting good grades.
jay ratkowski is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 10:28 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 1,847
Re: College Applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay ratkowski View Post
The best advice I can give is to just stick with it once you get there. Even if you change majors 4 times, just stick with it. I am finishing up my bachelors degree and will be hitting 27 years old when I do. I've taken enough credits to probably have two or three degrees by now. The biggest mistake I made was after I lost hope in my initial major (journalism), I left school. No matter how difficult anyone thinks going to school is, going back is 1,000 times more difficult.
I think this is awesome advice. I wish I had more people in my university years had told me this. I too took a while I went to school for 6 years changed majors twice and almost got kicked out for my grades going bad. I hated school and I always wanted to quit. I was too distracted for the first few years, but I eventually figured out how important it was and I had to go back and take classes over again and make up credits and all. Once I was on the academic straight and narrow there was no better feeling than earning my Schwartzenager signature on my Degree (yup on all Cal State Grads). Of course I didn't care who's signature it was.

It's tough, I know some high schools are really good, but in my experience high school doesn't prepare you half as much as they need to for what a university is like. So you just have to keep on trucking and eventually, you will make it.

I think you, City, are someone that probably enjoys school so you probably won't have the same problems I had, but nonetheless stick with it.
kotornut is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 08:06 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dunmore, PA
Posts: 2,325
Reviews: 12
Red face Re: College Applications

Things are only difficult if you let them become so...No one else is going to benefit from your education except you, if that's not enough reason to easily succeed, then there are no others...

College is important and you do it because you are supposed to! And just like breathing, eating, or playing music, it will be as difficult or easy as you like it to be. Take it seriously and you'll do fine, with a grain of salt and you may struggle. The time to party is not when you're paying for a higher education, but when you've arrived in a well paying job and can enjoy the fruits of your labor!!

"Do, or do not... there is no try!"

Armed with all the advice in this thread, go out there and succeed dammit, because that's what's expected of a JEMSITER!!
DEADTUNES666 is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 09:06 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 1,847
Re: College Applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
"Do, or do not... there is no try!"
Mad Yoda style right there. Although I don't agree with that philosophy.
kotornut is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 01:07 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Posts: 82
Re: College Applications

All hail the mighty Yoda!
Veno is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 01:45 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NB Canada
Posts: 3,467
Re: College Applications

For all you guys that do really well in school I was wondering what roll if any your parents had in getting you to take school seriously and to do well and go to university.
I have a seven year old daughter and I want more than anything for her to get good grades and go to university some day. Some kids seem to get in with the wrong friends and make bad choices and it almost seems like bad luck. As if the parents can't do much about it. But I see other families that have several kids and they all go to university.
What can I do as a parent to help ensure my child excells in school?
She has all the potential in the world by the way. She is the smartest kid in grade 2. But I know that potential only takes you so far.
Rotti is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 02:02 PM
site founder 0% owner
 
jemsite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: NJ - USA
Posts: 11,475
Reviews: 1
Re: College Applications

as a parent you can essentially mandate your child gets an education... it can be an expectation of a family member... a responsibility if you will. i know many parents who demanded that and it's not unreasonable. kids are already trained in that they go from what pre-K thru High Shool and now college is basically a pre-requisite for any decent job. college is like what high school was a few decades ago.

the problem is that the brightest of the bunch also needs to be motivated and most importantly needs self-motivation and a desire to be an achiever.

those traits i believe are mostly innate and genetic... not learned, coached or parented.

good luck... glen
jemsite is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 6,973
Reviews: 1
Re: College Applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
No one else is going to benefit from your education except you, if that's not enough reason to easily succeed, then there are no others...
An even better reason is perhaps that the family you don't even have yet can benefit from your college education. It wasn't something I thought about when I was at university, but now I'm so grateful that I actually bothered to pay some attention in class... Occasionally... Sometimes
jono is online  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










 
Similar Searches

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Protect my gear in College newbieguitarmaker Off-topic / Miscellaneous 22 03-06-2008 09:28 PM
College Football Upsets michblanch Off-topic / Miscellaneous 1 09-30-2007 10:09 AM
College Gig in Sept... MelodyMan Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 1 07-20-2007 03:25 PM
When you went off to college. . . Gex Off-topic / Miscellaneous 8 12-27-2006 09:29 AM
Berklee college of Music SlickXQ Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 8 12-18-2003 06:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome