College audition pieces - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
College audition pieces

i think this would be the most fitting spot to put this thread. sorry if im wrong.

So im begining to look at going to college for music education. i have tons of experiece teaching. ive been teachin at this place called the music factor for around 3 years now and i love teaching. every college requires you to audition a solo. and i have no idea what to play. the schools im lookin at are mainly jazz bassed which is cool, i love jazz. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 09:11 PM

Re: College audition pieces

Stairway to Heaven or Smoke on the Water.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 09:44 PM

maybe some jazz fusion pieces, like a Guthrie Govan song or something
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 10:41 AM

You might want to check and see if the university websites have suggestions. Also if they have profiles of the professors, read those, it might give you an idea of what sort of things they would want. Also keep in mind that a lot of music colleges are very pretentious about certain things, so going in with metal or hard rock regardless of how good or technical or theory deep it is, they might not approve.

Also keep in mind that the audition is not necessarily very make or break as it is for music performance majors (though it probably depends on the specific school and evaluator as well), assuming you can at least do what they want competently (keep in mind there is usually more to the audition than just go in and play the piece you prepared). Make sure you put just as much effort into the other parts of the application process. Even if you blow them away at the audition, you can still get rejected because depending on the school it may still fundamentally be more of an education major than a music major.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3

alright thanks. im thinkin wonderful slippery thing by govan and maybe improv a bit for them in the solo section over the chord changes. i know my theory and i can read. im lookin at cal state longbeach. theyre building a great music program and i actually teach with jeff jarvis and jimmy emerziain at the music factor who both teach full time at long beach. im hopin they can help me get the schoallership hehe
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 12:31 PM

I would still probably just do a classic jazz piece and apply your own solo over it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM

Anything from any of Joe Pass' 'Virtuoso' series of CDs. "On Green Dolphin Street" from Virtuoso 2 is a great piece
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:26 AM

Here's an even better idea: Get THIS video of the late Tommy Jones (a Chet Atkins protege) playing some of his favorites. There's an available tab for the whole DVD you can download from Elderly when you purchase the DVD.

Work out "Shenandoah", and play that
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 03:13 PM

Reviews: 1

I hold two college music degrees - the first in jazz piano from UB.
My audition pieces were:

Giant Steps- McCoy Tyner's version ( note for note)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PukuQPUKfyU
Night In Tunisha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_v7mUGoKDc
Improvisation like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK33_n8QmWs

Tags
guthrie govan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode