Comcast, Anyone know... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Comcast, Anyone know...

Anyone know if I can get HBO from comcast while still maintaining my Enhanced Cable, I don't feel like paying for extra channels I don't want in the Silver package but I'd like HBO. They haven't contacted me back yet so I figured I'd ask you guys. They may charge me so much extra a month that I might as well upgrade to the Silver Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:36 PM

Re: Comcast, Anyone know...

Yes, if there anything like my company they can sell ala cart. However you may have to get HBO/Max since, if there anything like us, they are contracted to have to give both because they are owned by the same company. Of course the best thing to do is call them and speak to a live person and hope to god you don't get some dolt in India. And its also not cost effective to the company to sell just 1 channel.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:39 PM

Just drink the Comcast Kool-Aid. Trust me, you'll like it.

I have the Triple Play package with Digital TV + all of the HBO, Showtime and Starz channels, Internet and Telephone for $129 / month.

Before that, my individual services were $80 for the cable with the premium channels, $30 for DSL and $40 for the phone. My Verizon DSL was only a bit faster than AOL dial-up. The cable seems 10 x faster.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
Just drink the Comcast Kool-Aid. Trust me, you'll like it.

I have the Triple Play package with Digital TV + all of the HBO, Showtime and Starz channels, Internet and Telephone for $129 / month.

Before that, my individual services were $80 for the cable with the premium channels, $30 for DSL and $40 for the phone. My Verizon DSL was only a bit faster than AOL dial-up. The cable seems 10 x faster.
wow nice, all I need is digital voice. I will check into it since I don't have a phone line, I was trying to save money with using cell since most of the ppl I talk to are on the same network. Just If I lower my minutes then I might lvl out the price.
Just I have some crazy internet I got from them so idk if the package has it cause it says 6 MBPS internet and mine is 16
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:35 AM

I called them recently to get HBO, because I wanted to see the John Adams series. It cost me $2 bucks a month to get HBO and Starz added to whatever it was I had.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I called them recently to get HBO, because I wanted to see the John Adams series. It cost me $2 bucks a month to get HBO and Starz added to whatever it was I had.
nice, that would be so much better because I can do with 2 bucks more lol
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:58 AM

comcast is wayyyyy overpriced! and their "service" and "tech support" (it's funny they even call it "tech") are ridiculous. they're clueless...i've had 6 years in dealing with them. just canceled with them cuz i couldn't take it anymore. that $2 more is nothing, if it's true, but they rape you overall with everything else! i was paying around $89 a month for basic cable and internet; that's with no movie channels! with movie channels it would have been $145 a month for cable! that's half a car note! i'm paying $70 less a month with WOW with much better service. no static channels or pixelations and no DVR issues. support on the phone is much better when you need them.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 10:55 AM

With Comcast, I think your plan expires after a while, so if you haven't changed it in a bit, there's no harm at all in calling them and just asking them to lower your price for the same service; just ask if they have any new packages that are less money and come with the same channels. That's what I did, I called and said I wanted HBO added and my total price to go down, and I got HBO, Cinemax, and Starz for 2 bucks with whatever they changed. I may still switch to the Verizon FIOS deal (phone/internet/TV) when 'John Adams' is over, but I'm not moving now while it's still on!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
With Comcast, I think your plan expires after a while, so if you haven't changed it in a bit, there's no harm at all in calling them and just asking them to lower your price for the same service; just ask if they have any new packages that are less money and come with the same channels. That's what I did, I called and said I wanted HBO added and my total price to go down, and I got HBO, Cinemax, and Starz for 2 bucks with whatever they changed. I may still switch to the Verizon FIOS deal (phone/internet/TV) when 'John Adams' is over, but I'm not moving now while it's still on!
ya I want FIOS but I don't think it is in my area yet >_<
and I don't think I can get them to lower my price yet since I just moved and got different services than I had at the last palce
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 02:29 PM

We don't have FiOS in my neighborhood yet. We do have 2 competing cable providers though. The other is Millennium Digital Media. If I were to compare dealing with the 2 cable companies (I've had service from both) to a dining experience, Comcast would be McDonalds and Millennium would be the mess hall at Baltimore City Jail.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
wow nice, all I need is digital voice. I will check into it since I don't have a phone line, I was trying to save money with using cell since most of the ppl I talk to are on the same network. Just If I lower my minutes then I might lvl out the price.
Just I have some crazy internet I got from them so idk if the package has it cause it says 6 MBPS internet and mine is 16
Comcast has to compete against another cable provider in my county. When you get into Baltimore City, Baltimore County and Howard County where they have a cable monopoly, their rates are 20 to 30 percent higher.

If we didn't have the competing companies here in Anne Arundel County, I'd probably have digital satellite of some sort.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 12:59 AM

If enhanced cable = cable box then yes.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

>_> since I moved into a new Apt a few weeks ago I had comcast installed and then a week after installation I asked you guys about HBO/Cinemax. Well, I payed a fee of 89 dollars for installation in my 2 bedroom apt and then I get the bill today for $109 + $185 the $109 is the monthly and the $185 is a one time charge the Fking tacked on, I called and they told me it was installation for installing a whole jack for accessing cable. I live in a cable ready apt! WTF!!! Also, no one at anypoint in time told me that there would be ANOTHER installation fee that is over double what I had to pay to the guy who installed it (a job I could do since I probably have more certifications than him). My friend got his installed in his huge house for $25.

Comcast has betrayed me!! lol
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:50 PM

sorry to hear that man. call them and complain. tell them they never told you about it and if they don't take it off...and they may take it off...you are cancelling. i have never had to pay for any install the 2 times i used them in our homes. comcast is an out and out nightmare. i had an issue with them "installing" a port in my townhome we used to live in. they wanted $200 for install but the 2 "techs" they sent out wouldn't go in the attic to drop the line. the first guy came out and said they don't do that...but why did they send you then? he wasn't sure...and he left. the 2nd guy came out and said it wasn't in their contract to go in attics or crawl spaces and i was out of luck, sorry. i did it myself. they also couldn't figure out where the lines traced from the attic into which townhome. i did that myself as well...took an hour but i got it traced and dropped the line. then i had issues with slow connectivity and bad picture. after 3 "techs" they couldn't figure it out. i found out they were not using a bi-directional splitter coming into the house. i changed it out with a $1 splitter from radio shack and everything was awesome. all this great service for $135 a month an no movie channels. won't use them again ever. i changed over to someone else last month. good luck with your situation!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

I did call them, they are being bitches. I will not let this go since I was uninformed of this huge one time fee by any of the people I talked to prior or during the installation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode