Coming to the Big Apple - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Coming to the Big Apple

Hi There,

in august I'll be coming to the Big Apple for vacation with my wife.
One of the things I want to do is go to the Martin guitar factory for a tour.

If anyone (local) has any good tips/advice for my vacation, please share here!
e.g. recommended hotels/restaurants/trips/etc...

thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 06:38 AM

Re: Coming to the Big Apple

Don't really have any info for you, but was curious if this your first visit to the US?
Enjoy your vacation!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

thanks distantshore!

No, this is not the first time.
Been to Seattle, Denver and Florida on business related trips
been to the westcoast on holiday 3 years ago ( SF, LA, yosemite, grand canyon etc etc. )

I really like drivin' around and visiting national parks and popular places well known from movies or rock&roll history; and of course: guitar shops!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 11:41 PM

That's great!!! I've been wanting to visit the big A
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 12:15 AM

I'm not from NY but visit there a couple of times a year or so. I believe the guitar shops are all on 47th or 48th street near 8th ave. Manny's, Rudy's etc.

Personally I like all the pubs and variety of restaurants, the deli's are awesome. 3rd ave near Houston has tons of Irish pubs.

Hotels in Manhattan are very pricey except for one I found called The Carlton Arms which is nothing fancy but not bad or dirty. It's very artsy inside. Best deal in Manhattan.

http://www.carltonarms.com/
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 12:46 AM

Cool. New York City is awesome, I have been there a couple of times....enjoy your vacation there.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

thanks Guitvai1,

that Carlton Arms hotel looks very weird, but seems a great place to get into a new york state of mind.

I'll definitely check out 47th/48th street then!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 09:10 AM
site founder 0% owner

How many nights are you staying and what are you looking to do? Standard tourist things? So many museums, shows, window shopping, etc. you need to narrow it down.

Guitar-wise, you probably want to head down the village too... there are some vintage stores around this one by washington square park
Matt Umanov Guitars
273 Bleecker St

If you don't rent a car, to get to Martin would be very difficult from NYC using mass-transit but perhaps there is a BUS that goes from Port Authority nearby. You should contact Martin about that. I personally wouldn't rent a car and stay in the city. if $$$ is an object and you don't mind taking trains consider staying in NJ along the rail/path... glen
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

thanks jemsite,

We'll probably spend 5 nights and since it's our first time in NY, we'll surely need to narrow our things to see and do-list.

In New York we have the following on our list so far:
sight seeing: empire state; chrysler building; ground zero;central park;cbgb's;5th avenue; ellis island/statue of liberty ; brooklyn bridge; guitar shops :-)

things to do: broadway show, yankee's game?, sightseeing with a new yorker?

We're planning to rent a car after we depart from NY city, we'll be going to Niagara falls by car and some other places still to select. Then we'll probably drive by the Martin factory, as you mention, it's not really doable with public transport.

thanks guys, keep those tips coming!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitvai1
I'm not from NY but visit there a couple of times a year or so. I believe the guitar shops are all on 47th or 48th street near 8th ave. Manny's, Rudy's etc.
The shops you're thinking of are all on 48th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues, not 8th.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 12:58 PM

Bus fare from NJ is roughly $4 to Manhatten and the hotels are half the price. It all depends how late you're gonna stay out. If you're like me the city is open all night then a cab will cost you $50 to get back.
Tip: get to the empire state building in the morning before the lineups get huge, I waited 1.5hrs in line. Niagara falls is roughly 7.5hrs drive from NY City.
Take the Staten Island Ferry it's free and a great way to see NY from the water. It runs all day.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

great tips, thanks
but 1 question, with NJ you mean ??
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 01:59 PM

Sorry - NJ = New Jersey, it's right across the river from Manhatten.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 02:17 PM

Check this site out if you're a Seinfeld fan.
http://home.earthlink.net/~asena/srny.html
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 02:39 PM

If you have time, there's also a pretty good vintage guitar store on 30th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues called 30th Street Guitars. I used to work in the building and spent more time and money there than I did in the office.

There's also a club across the street called Downtime where I used to catch local bands playing from time to time...There are also a bunch of recording/rehearsal studios and music related stores within the building. Just go into the lobby and check out the directory.

Also, I know that CBGB is closing down (lost their lease I believe), so I don't know if it will still be there by the time you come here. If you plan on seeing bands play or taking advantage of the city nightlife, get a copy of the Village Voice (it's a free weekly newspaper put out on Wednesdays that most newsstands and kiosks have or bins where you can pick it up on select street corners), there are tons of club/theater/movie listings there. Hope this helps!

Tags
guitar shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode