A Comment on Politeness - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

A Comment on Politeness

First, I must say I am not the most polite person in the world but I do (mostly) try to be so. I just read something somewhere by someone that basically says If you dont like it.. Now when offering up a part of yourself such as a sale of a item and when your selling/offering something your in a sense selling yourself if you get my drift.

What does it say to folks if in your introduction of your item/yourself if you give the impression of F*** you this is they way it/I is? This person/store/place already has a less than stellar reputation from past actions and does this. Would/could anyone really trust him/her?

It is not my intention to rant or preach here but I am a firm believer in Karma. This person/store/place just seems to want to get the end result he/she desires.

Just a few thoughts I needed to vent upon.

Thanks
Cos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Vendor

Re: A Comment on Politeness

It didn't give you the warm and fuzzies?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It didn't give you the warm and fuzzies?
No but you do sweetie

I didn't want to directly call that person out as I don't want a flame war. Not that I dont' enjoy flame wars . I just thought that the person who rep is less that steller would use a bit more Tact to acheive his/her goal.

It should not be too hard to figure out what I am refering to but please folks don't post who are what you might think I am talking about. He/She will get what they deserve in the end.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Vendor

Well, you don't have to be "polite", but a "please" would have made a serious difference in the way it read
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Well, you don't have to be "polite", but a "please" would have made a serious difference in the way it read
You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Seems they have vinegar in the viens.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Dee

Hello! Can I have a link to whatever it is you're talking about? PM me if you don't want to do it here. Thanks.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 07:29 PM

If it's the item I suspect it is; well, if the vendor simply doesn't want to deal with tyre kickers, then so be it, if he/she has a price thay are fixed on, and won't even consider wavering, then why not simply say it bluntly - so be it - we are talking about what is technically nothing more than a simple business transaction here.

The number of times someone will put an item up for sale here, and the majority of replies are along the lines of "dude, no way is a blah blah blah worth $x, you're kidding yourself..." is amazing.... now, personally I don't believe any Gibson is worth even its own equivalent weight in firewood, but if someone wants to sell one here, I have the grace to keep that opinion out of their thread. If this seller is simply anticipating this kind of reaction and simply saying "sorry, no debate entered into", then so be it....
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Hello! Can I have a link to whatever it is you're talking about? PM me if you don't want to do it here. Thanks.
No, like I said if you figure it out on your own then fine but I won't directly point fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
If it's the item I suspect it is; well, if the vendor simply doesn't want to deal with tyre kickers, then so be it, if he/she has a price thay are fixed on, and won't even consider wavering, then why not simply say it bluntly - so be it - we are talking about what is technically nothing more than a simple business transaction here.
Nothing wrong with being firm on something. If you read all I said you would see the part past experiences/actions tainting their name/id

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
if someone wants to sell one here, I have the grace to keep that opinion out of their thread. If this seller is simply anticipating this kind of reaction and simply saying "sorry, no debate entered into", then so be it....
That arguement is pointless if you consider the fact that some site have rules about conversations in marketplaces and mod/site admins would nip it in the bud.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
No, like I said if you figure it out on your own then fine but I won't directly point fingers.
If they're that rude then they need to have fingers pointed at them.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 07:58 PM

That arguement is pointless if you consider the fact that some site have rules about conversations in marketplaces and mod/site admins would nip it in the bud.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you there, but still, this sort of thing has happened on numerous occassions here, and it really isn't cool - not the moderators fault, but posters should be polite enough to keep out of the trading threads unless they are either seller or buyer (or potentially either).

In any case, I do actually agree with you with regards to the general topic of this thread - email and SMS has made people increasingly blunt and abrupt (mind you I was married to a French girl for a long time, and the French had absolutely no need for email or text to make 'em blunt....!), and given that this is a written word forum, it is no skin off anyone's nose to actually be polite and respectful towards others.... their Karma will eventually get back at them.....

Cheers

David
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

David, I think I can agree with what you said there cept the marry the frech chick part. I could not get over the hairy arm pits and smell of the french .

Far be it for me to offend French folks but haha :P
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 08:07 PM

This is the friendliest message board I have ever been a member of.
There is no tolerance for name calling or rudeness, which is why I return here. I love the fact that there is no drama.

If there is a vendor that is being less than cordial and going out of their way to be rude, then I would think that the moderators here would not take kindly to treating Jemsters that away.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblanch View Post
This is the friendliest message board I have ever been a member of.
There is no tolerance for name calling or rudeness, which is why I return here. I love the fact that there is no drama.

If there is a vendor that is being less than cordial and going out of their way to be rude, then I would think that the moderators here would not take kindly to treating Jemsters that away.
They are not being overtly rude and that was part of my point. They wern't name calling, flaming, or being nasty. They are trying to acheive a goal and not going about it in the best way possible considering their past reputation with their efforts it trying to achieve said goal.

This is a pretty nice place and does have a bit o' drama but hey that is part of life.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
David, I think I can agree with what you said there cept the marry the frech chick part. I could not get over the hairy arm pits and smell of the french .

Far be it for me to offend French folks but haha :P
Glad you believe in Karma.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2416/...a72418e2_o.jpg

Tags
david mccarroll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode