Computer Gurus, need help - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Computer Gurus, need help

Hi there,

I'll get straight to the point. I have an old laptop (PIII, 128MB RAM) that runs XP Home, but it cannot quite handle it. So I was thinking I would install Win98 or perhaps Ubuntu but the problem is that the built-in CD driver does not work properly. Actually it works when it wants to work. Sometimes it reads the CD sometimes it doesn't. So I thought I would use my external hard drive for booting the computer and then install the OS (whichever it may be).

The problem is that I don't know how to do this. Heck, I don't know if it's possible. So any help on the matter is greatly appreciated. I will use the computer only for powertab and vacations (storing photos etc). I'd rather use Ubuntu but I don't know if I can get the powertab program to run on it. There is something called Wine but would it work with powertab? (André, this was to you )

Anyways, thanks in advance for your time and help.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 09:59 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Computer Gurus, need help

if powertab runs on it install windows2000. works great on old systems and rock solid. external usb drive would help, but you should be able to install from hdd if you google around... glen
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 10:14 PM

You should get a mac, they come in different colors.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 10:16 PM

Get some more ram, my old PIII ran xp pro fine with 512 until it died. (completely unrelated im sure)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 11:05 PM

yeah you need more ram for sure, XP requires at LEAST 256 to run decent, 512 is even better and probably the max for a older laptop.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 02:09 AM

Don't bother with Linux on that one, or on laptops period. It may even fail to install due to insufficient RAM.

My recommendation is to get as much RAM as you can from [email protected] or elsewhere and don't bother upgrading/downgrading to anything software wise. W2000 is not significantly less demanding in terms of memory, everything else is either more demanding or unsafe to use.

You also need to realize that this laptop is on its way out. Start looking for deals.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
if powertab runs on it install windows2000. works great on old systems and rock solid. external usb drive would help, but you should be able to install from hdd if you google around... glen
Good suggestion .

Regards

André

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 06:10 AM

I'd stick with XP too, and definitely get more RAM. You can make XP run a bit leaner (about win2k level) by stopping unneeded services from running at startup. Google for XP and SERVICES and you should get some geeky pages describing safe ones to kill and how to go about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode