For the computer guys - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

For the computer guys

I've been having problems with my computer for a while. Had it for almost a year and it's based around the Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Gz.

What's been happening is this,

When I switch the pc on, the light, fans and the hard drives start up, then all shut down, then starts up again. This will happen for a few moments or even minutes.

Sometimes a screen appears informing me that overclocking has failed. But, I do not do overclocking. I've checked the settings and they are correct, 2.4Gz, no more, no less.

What's happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:11 AM

Re: For the computer guys

Maybe something in your bios got changed or corupt some how. Try going into the bios and setting to defaults. If you can't get into the bios look for a jumper on your motherboard that will let you clear the cmos. If you can't find the jumper just pull the battery out for a few seconds and then put it back in.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:16 AM

yeah, clear the cmos. if that doesn't fix it, listen for it to post(the initial beep from startup). if it posts, it will probably have a hardware issue. more like a bad hdd or bad ram.

rich
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 10:17 AM

have you added or removed any hardware lately? i.e. put in a new soundcard..
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 10:26 AM

yeah, what they said....to add to Rotti's idea..... I would wait a minute when you pull the jumper and battery out. Also unplug from the wall so there is no power at all. Then I would update the bios as well! flash it! how long has this been going on? you can also try to hit a restore point. not sure this would do it but worth a shot as well. good luck.
steve
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

I've not added or changed anything. I'll try the CMOS idea and see what happens.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Dee

Could be many different reasons why this is happening. A bad stick of memory could cause this. Did you try removing all RAM except one stick? Try that, test it, then try the other/s.

Finding the cause of a problem like this is a process of elimination. Clearing CMOS and checking each stick of RAM are the first things to try. If you have a manual for your motherboard, look in there and it should tell you which pins you need to put the jumper on to clear CMOS. Leave the battery out for at least a few minutes. And do all this with the power switched off at the mains, but before you mess with the motherboard, press the power switch on the front of your PC a few times to ensure any remaining power is discharged. When you start the PC again, the BIOS should be at their default settings.

Last edited by Dee; 03-05-2008 at 11:26 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:27 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

yup, after resetting the Bios (in theory this should not help if you didn't make a change but do it anyways).

you gotta pull all cards/ram and eliminate one-by-one the problem hardware. even the drive controller (integrated on the MOBO) can cause this... real hassle... glen
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:38 AM

Reviews: 1

Now comes the part where some goof posts about his MAC wouldn't ever have that problem...
*waiting*
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
Now comes the part where some goof posts about his MAC wouldn't ever have that problem...
*waiting*
Should have bought a MAC!?

Anyway, Couldn't this be caused by other things besides BIOS/CMOS or hardware issues?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:48 AM

Reviews: 18

What kind of pc is it? Meaning, is it off the shelf or did you build it yourself? If this is an off the shelf box, look for a bios update. Generally, when a manufacturer detects an issue with the bios, an update is put in place to remedy the problem.

Jimmy
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 01:36 PM

it could be many things.. but an easy check would be to test the power supply or swap the ram.. worst scenario, ur motherboard is messed. ive had this happen before.. when you try to boot the computer, does it make it far enough for you to hear a single beep?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Well, after a while, it'll boot up.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 02:23 PM

What was the last thing you did with the machine before it started acting that way?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981 View Post
Well, after a while, it'll boot up.
sounds like the hard drive is going out. clear the cmos and start backing it up. then reformat and see if windows can format it. if not, time for a new hard drive.

rich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode