Computer problem!!! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Unhappy Computer problem!!!

Hey everybody.... Computer problem today. I was using my laptop as normal and it went black ('on' light still lit). Trying to reboot and most of the time it the screen stays black (not lit at all). Can also hear the fan rev then stop. 'on' light stays on.
I have got it to come to the win7 desktop 4 times out of dozens of tries. After a few minutes in windows I get a BSOD saying something about page error in non-page area or something like that the first 3 times. This last time it said something about 'bad pool header'.
I don't think the HDD is the problem (or at least I hope not), since it does boot to the desktop those 4 times (twice in safe mode).
What do I do?
I also need to read up on slaving the HDD to my desktop, because I have some extremely important files on it.

Specs:
Acer netbook - 2 years old.
1gb of DDR3 RAM.
250gb HDD.

Please help.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 06:11 PM

Re: Computer problem!!!

I'd say go to a professional, it might also be a heat problem if the fan area got dirty in that 2 year use.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 06:35 PM

https://www.google.no/search?q=bad+pool+header

Some tips and hints there. Seems the "bad pool header" can be caused by many different things, not just one solution to that problem.
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 PM

Reviews: 2

It's the video processor/card. Hopefully it's not integrated- if it is you need to slave the HD. If it has a vidoe card, you can replace it. This has happened on a couple of laptop's around the house here, Always because the puter is used on a bed with a comforter. The fan isn't able to exhaust hot air or draw in cold clean air............
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

It costed me 20 dollars(chinese stuff duh), it has two fans so heat is not a problem and you can close it making it fit in any place.
I screwed those powered speakers now I can use my laptop wherever I am in the house including while taking a bath and watching some...........you know what

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
Ryc. That seems logical. It is just a netbook, so it is integrated, unfortunately.
One thing that made me think (hope) it could be RAM, is that about half the time I start it up, it shuts off after a second, then automatically back on.
Wish I could keep the thing on long enough to run any diagnostic... By the same merit..... (just got it to start as typing).... I hear no fan.... but then i just got a BSOD trying to boot up...
I may follow mertay's advice.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 PM

Reviews: 18

Take the thing apart and clean it up.

Since it's a netbook, I would try changing the ram and maxing it out (I believe most netbooks will top out at 2gb of ram)

Check that all connectors are plugged in all the way.

Jimmy
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I've got the HDD out and am attempting to slave it to my PC. Problem is, it is booting from the netbook HDD (which seems to work, except it is incompatible with the hardware). How do I make it boot the IDE first, instead of the laptops' SATA?
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Just a little update.... "Slaved" the SATA from the laptop. For that, I needed to set the boot order in BIOS to use the IDE drive on my PC first. The drive seems to be stable.... Does that mean that the RAM (or possibly Mobo) bit the dust?
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 06:30 AM

Reviews: 18

Yep. Could be a problem with either. Check to see if there's a bios update for your netbook and swap out the ram with working ram to rule out a ram problem.

Jimmy
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! My next steps now is a hard reset, then I'll have to get RAM. I can't afford any of that stuff until Wednesday, so stay tuned if the hard reset does not work.

On the positive side, I just mirrored the hard drive to an external! In a day or two I will mirror the mirror to another internal hard-drive.
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Thanks! My next steps now is a hard reset, then I'll have to get RAM. I can't afford any of that stuff until Wednesday, so stay tuned if the hard reset does not work.

On the positive side, I just mirrored the hard drive to an external! In a day or two I will mirror the mirror to another internal hard-drive.
You might want to try your ram in another machine.... friend or family?? That will pinpoint the problem immediately.

There's no risk that I'm aware of using a bad stick in another computer....... the "test" puter wiil BSOD immediately, but be fine when it's original RAM is put back in.

FWIW.... I'm 99.9% sure it's the video processor on your MOBO.

Which Acer model is it? I'll see if I can find another one for parts or at least a good MOBO.
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post

Good to hear you were able to make a good mirror...... I keep a copy on hand after every clean install now. I've had too many failures in the past........ that's one downside of building your own machines.......... there are no recovery discs....LOL
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm the only person I know with DDR3 RAM (perspective: there isn't even a Denny's for like 50 miles where I live).... I'll look around though. Maybe a computer shop would let me test.... maybe?
If it is the GPU, what do I do? Re-flow it, or will I need to learn to get handy with thermal paste?
I haven't tried the laptop today, since I finally got to bed around 5. I'll do more testing tonight.
The model is a Acer Aspire One D257.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 02:52 PM

Have you tried switching off your router for a few minutes and then switching it back on?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode