Computerised guitars ??? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Computerised guitars ???

Well im watching a TV program and the new Gibson lp comes on and its all electronic tunes it self 500 + presets mp3 recordings in the guitar. Just curious your opinions on these new Gibson's, should guitars be Computerized? Personally I don't think id ever buy one (not because they cost 5k either) they don't appeal to me... Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:03 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Computerised guitars ???

The only thing that appeals to me about that guitar is the fact you can add effects to seperate strings. Other than that it seems a little too like you're not really playing the guitar.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

I was just thinking that whilst playing a riff I made up how good it would be to only have 2 strings with a flanger.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:26 PM

Stupid idea, but eventually someone will do something with it that blows our minds and tons of people will want one.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_SA View Post
I was just thinking that whilst playing a riff I made up how good it would be to only have 2 strings with a flanger.
That actually blows my mind already.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 11:20 PM

Reviews: 25

If the extra electronics dont hinder the actual playability, then why should it matter.

The only real drawbacks, is the extra cost, and the fact that the more electronics that can fail, means that eventually it will fail and you will have to send your guitar back to the manufacturer to get the onboard computer fixed or replaced....
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
If the extra electronics dont hinder the actual playability, then why should it matter.

The only real drawbacks, is the extra cost, and the fact that the more electronics that can fail, means that eventually it will fail and you will have to send your guitar back to the manufacturer to get the onboard computer fixed or replaced....
I think it definately would affect playability, if you did have 2 strings different from the rest and you wanted to play a chord and one string is distorted while the rest is clean you'd sound like a fool, so that would mean you'd have to have a set of effects to keep hold of it all and you may as well be driving a car in a traffic jam with all the pedal kicking you would do!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 06:49 AM

Guitarists deal with effects and settings all the time, if you left an effect on when your not supposed to you would look like a fool anyways. The fact that you can select effects for different strings is just another form of effects.... and something else that you need to keep an eye on....
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Guitarists deal with effects and settings all the time, if you left an effect on when your not supposed to you would look like a fool anyways. The fact that you can select effects for different strings is just another form of effects.... and something else that you need to keep an eye on....
Exactly, but to me it's just more work for you to do, I believe in EVH's way of keeping it simple, good guitar and a good amp, with as little effects needed.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydogga View Post
Exactly, but to me it's just more work for you to do, I believe in EVH's way of keeping it simple, good guitar and a good amp, with as little effects needed.
Why does it have to be only one way. Sometimes I like simple sounds and sometimes I like experimenting, I dont believe in being closed off to other ways of doing things.

Vai doesn't keep it simple and it works for him.....
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 08:36 AM

I don't need any of the stuff it can do. But for someone this will save time and money. If you play with several different tunings, this guitar will make it work live. Effects on seperate strings, who didn't like the idea of a synth drone in E while playing a sexy sax solo? Roland GR synths were made for guitarists to play sax, I swear!

I think most people have seen Jimmy Page with the Transperformance LP.

The new thing is that you finally get all these options in one guitar. Clever? Useful? Worth it?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 11:50 AM

Well, the most important issue about this guitar is to me that it incorporates the two things I totally hate when it comes to making music:
1. Complexity (I mean in a way of adding a lot of functions that make it almost impossible to "just play". Don`t get me wrong I love big effect boards but only the ones that consist of stompboxes.)

2. Computers ( they tend to crash)!!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 04:51 AM

Wink Re: Computerised guitars ???

I suppose this is only the start of all this stuff and there will probably be a lot more of it in the future look at the whole amp modelling thing its huge now and someone will do something interesting with it and it will probably go stratospheric for a while until they come back to the good old magnetic pickup .
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 06:02 AM

Reviews: 1

Different guitarists have different needs. I think with the Dark Fire, Gibson was trying to make a guitar that would supply all their needs.

Whether or not they succeeded, only time will tell.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think the tuning facility will be something that folks will like, simply to ensure the guitar really is in tune. i'm not sure about all the rest of it though.

I think that the guitar remains a very organic instrument you play with your heart not your head, especially when it comes to the sound. So folks tend to like the guitar to make the sound, not the software.

Modelling amps are cool, but there's still (today at least) something very special about a simple valve amp, a cord and a nice guitar. As far as I know, most pro guitarists still start with a tube amp as the centre of their sound and I think guitar-wise it'll be the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode