Considering an ipod touch 4g - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Considering an ipod touch 4g

Hey, im considering getting an ipod touch 4g 32gb. This will be the first apple product i have ever bought, managed to resist this long haha.
I was really just looking to see if anybody here has had any experience with the ipod touch and can give some feedback on how they found it. How is it for surfing the net?
Hope you can help,

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 05:57 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Considering an ipod touch 4g

my 8 year old daughter wants one which basically sums up the device in a nutshell.

it's an ok device for younger people without smartphones. for adults, it's mediocre in sound quality and designed for those who find color-by-numbers artistic. as a music player it's a pretty dreadful experience when you factor having to deal with iTunes bloatware. Thanks to the music store's near monopoly (and original proprietary DRM) there are few alternates today (not even sure in the UK).

If you're young and can't afford a smartphone then it's more useful since it has wifi/web access as well. good browser but no adobe flash (see jobs vs the world) which is it's saving grace. low res screen (480x320 HVGA) is lame (needs to be updated to match iPhone 4 which finally got a real screen). They'll probably announce that at CES in january after xmas sales clears inventory LOL.

i wouldn't pay 3x more for 32gb though... the sound quality won't be heard even with larger files. You might want to check if there are any "subscription" services for in the UK (like zune pass in the USA but that won't work on any apple products) for similar products... glen
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 07:38 PM

Glen, thought you were supposed to caveat all posts of this type with, "I would rather eat steamed poo than buy a Mac for any reason, but..." I KNOW not everybody likes Mac gadgets, but...

iTtunes doesn't use DRM anymore (at least for songs). You can put the MP3's wherever you want. Screen is 940x640 "Retina" display. Sound quality is as good as whatever headphones you use. The built in speakers suck, no doubt. iTunes is kind of a pain in the ass until you get used to it. Straight drag and drop would be easier, but you can essentially do that depending on what options you select within iTunes. Web browsing is decent, but certainly not laptop level. On the plus side, most major sites have mobile versions of their pages that are iPod/iPhone friendly.

My daughter has a couple of friends with the iTouches, new and old, and if you want the nifty features of the iPhone, but you don't want her to have the phone, then it's a decent piece of gear. If you're getting it primarily as an MP3 player, you might be better off with a Nano or something smaller. I think it's too big to run or work out with (though I see people do it all the time). If you want it more for the surfing, then it's ok. As a travel aid, for watching movies or listening on the plane or something, it's GREAT. If you want to play w all the aps, then it's fine for that too.

I wouldn't say it's the best thing ever, but it's neat if that's what you want.

** Oh. as for capacity - yeah, you don't NEED 32GB, but I got the 32GB iPhone, and I'm glad I did. My last iPhone was 16GB, and it would hold a heck of a lot of stuff, but after I loaded all my songs and a few movies on it, it was full. If I was on a LONG trip, I might blow through all the movies on the way out, and then have to remove and add movies before my return trip. The extra capacity allows me to overstuff the media on my phone so I don't have to ever bother with refreshing the media during the trip, which I may or may not have time for. So yeah, it IS overkill, but it HAS come in handy, at least for me. For an 8-year-old, I dunno. Guess it might mean more time between "Daddy, I need some new stuff on my iTouch!" Though if she's anything like my kid, she won't NEED your help! Lol!

Last edited by TAorama; 11-16-2010 at 07:49 PM.
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 09:16 PM
site founder 0% owner

Wow the iPod did the new screen already... makes it more attractive if you browse the web all day with it (assuming wifi coverage). -1 for not having a 16gb option... goes from 8 to 32GB and large $ increase. LOL. touch (any model) as an MP3 player primarily it's the wrong choice. sound is meh though (all models though) and the better the headphone the more you notice. My point though is 320kbps encoding is a WASTE as it sounds no better (on any ipod) than 256 or even 192kbps. If you have a VERY LARGE library and want quality encoding 32GB is insufficient anyways.

apple.com has a refurb 16gb nano for $150 without the lame square touch screen. not a terrible bang for the buck but you're paying 2x for apple name there too.

ultimately $299 for a 32gb non-expandable music player that can't make calls or sms is pretty steep. you need wifi to do web meaning you probably have a nicer PC nearby reducing iPod touch to another expensive, limited gadget to deal with.

i know itunes store doesn't DRM for music but the removal was waaaaay late. it also doesn't play industry standard lossless or wma lossless. so you have your music library and the "for ipod" libary compromise which is annoying ... glen
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 01:15 AM

iPods are not meant to be the ultimate, hi-fidelity, listening machines. For mobile listening, either jogging, or in the car, or on the plane, or at work, or whatever, they do just fine. If you're going to run tunes through your $300,000 Wisdom Audio speakers, you're probably not going to use ANY portable player as your source. I understand and respect a purist attitude toward audio, but I don't think that's the intended purpose for these devices.

And sure you pay a premium for Apple stuff, just like you do for status-y goods in any category. But if that's what you want, that's what you want, and the price really isn't a factor. I do agree that it's a shame to pay $12 for an album's worth of lossy music when you could probably buy it in a store on a CD for the same (or close) money. But if the place you listen to that music is going to be primarily on the go or in less than studio-quiet environments, you (or at least 99% of the general public) probably won't hear the difference.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 PM

I was debating the same thing, whether to get one or not. I went for it.

The Perks

1. I really liked the idea of having a retina display to admire.
  2. The camera is really nice, both still and video.
  3. Browser works great, I live in the Bay area so there is wifi all over.
  4. I run a few websites and blogs. The tools for web design are outstanding.
  5. It has Bluetooth. So, you can grab a headset and make skype calls and or facetime.
The Cons
  1. Its expensive. I feel like I am self conscious about leaving it in my car or running around with it in my pocket.
  2. Unless you go the jailbreak route and steal apps. I hear it can be a real money trap in the app store.
I had a few other reasons to get one. One was that I listen to the Adam Corolla podcast all the time and I got sick of syncing my old iPod via cable. But, all in all. I am so impressed with the thing. If you can't talk yourself into it, just tell yourself you will return it after a chance to play with the thing for a few days.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:39 PM

All the apps/games get boring after like 20 minutes, all I use mine for now is occasionally surfing the web and listening to music. Don't get me wrong, they're great, I'm just not into the apps and such.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 PM

buy one and give it to your gf\wife. my other half has her face buried in it for hours at a time and it keeps her off my back about guitar playing. anyways, it's a cool gadget-everyone's right though the sound quality sucks. the better stereo you have it seems like the worse it sounds.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:51 PM

Reviews: 11

If you just want a music player, Id recommend getting a "normal" ipod instead. The touch's are sweet and all, but are over priced for what you are really getting. If you need a portable app machine, thats a different story of course. If you have a droid or whatever, its really moot to get the ipod touch in my opinion.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:30 AM

A couple of the techs here got them and love them. For phones they use Android but wanted something different. I think they are going to make the switch to iphone but wanted to try these first? The one guy loves the integration with itunes, contacts and calendar and the app store. He also utilizes netflix quite a bit so for him it's perfect. The other guy just loves the layout and all the features it has to offer. I used to use an ipod for all my music until I misplaced it. I have been using my iphone as ipod and love it. It can't handle all my tunes but currently holding 1100 songs and 400+ videos, and 1200+ photos, with room to spare, I'm not complaining. A refurbished 160gb ipod is going for $209.

I've been through MANY music devices from cassette players to cd players to minidisc players to DELL mp3 players to sony to the next name brand. Finally settled on ipod...my first apple product...about 4 years ago. To me, it was so much better in cataloging and syncing and ripping than all the others combined. I've never been a fan of windows media player and didn't want to look into other players for ripping, etc. Apple, for me, was efficient, stable, easy and quick.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I love my old IPod for music, but prefer my Android phone for apps.

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I love my old IPod for music, but prefer my Android phone for apps.
Havre you used an iPhone though as well as the Android? Which Android do you have? (this is an old enough thread I don't feel too badly about pulling it a bit off topic)
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 01:26 PM
site founder 0% owner

semi-old thread for sure.... people still buy iPods instead of better phones?

Jim you mentioned Thunderbolt in another thread... look elsewhere unless 3 hr battery life is your thing and don't mind heavy & clunky. Thanks to verizon's tech incompetence it's "4G" phone are powering two radios...one for 3G and one for 4G with no ability make it work only 3G. Add in a power sucking OS and huge screen and well you get the picture... glen
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Havre you used an iPhone though as well as the Android? Which Android do you have? (this is an old enough thread I don't feel too badly about pulling it a bit off topic)
Motorola Backflip. It's good for music, too--just more space on my Ipod.

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 02:59 PM

Man... I feel like I've wandered over to my friend's house. I'm horrible with keeping up with all this new-fangled phone technology, but every time I hang out with one of my friends he brings me back up to speed with it. He and his dad are phone junkies. His dad just got the Thunderbolt and hasn't started complaining about it yet, but why he bothered I have no idea. 4g isn't even available in my area. Me. I'm working off an Envy 2. It amazes me how the market of having a phone blew up. Nowadays it seems like a modern day cocaine, but that's just me I suppose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode