Considering Relocation: Atlanta? Central FL? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Considering Relocation: Atlanta? Central FL?

I've gotten to the point where I think I have outgrown Gainesville and feel that I need to be somewhere where I can be around more possibilities musically/professionally. Gainesville is a small town and I see very little chance of pushing forward professionally here. I am thinking a bigger city with more musicians and venues might be a feasable solution. No consideration for Nashville or LA since there are TOO MANY musicians in those locals, I'm not a country player and I would be a very small fish in the LA scene (even though I do love it out in LA). I'm probably too "blues rock" of a player to do anything in LA.

Right now I'm considering Central FL (Daytona, Orlando, Tampa) and the Atlanta area. I'm hoping to find "like-minded" musicians that have what it takes to succeed and the desire to acheive goals. I play ROCK: classic, southern, modern, blues, ect.

The band I have been in for over 3yrs has hit its' plateau and I doubt with the current members, that it will ever be more than it currently is.

There is a possibility of meeting other musicians in the area but again, this town is small and limited to venues and like-minded pro players. I have been here for about 7yrs and I feel the need to change things up.

Anyone in the Atlanta area playing professionally have anything to say about the area like finding players, starting a teaching practice and what parts of the Atlanta area would be good choices to check out would be much appreciated.

I lived in Daytona for over 20yrs and know the Central FL scene fairly well so I know what I'd be getting into there. I just know very little about the Atlanta area. It seems like it would be a great area to get heard and set up shop (teaching). Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 01:09 PM

Re: Considering Relocation: Atlanta? Central FL?

Atlanta has quite a few original music venues that do pretty well. Numerous sports-bars that book cover bands on the weekends. Atlanta Institute of Music is here, and there are a ton of musicians here in just about every style of music.
All that said, you can't escape the fact that Atlanta is the hip-hop capital of the world right now.

If I were offered a choice, I'd definitely stay in FL.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 01:11 PM

I agree. Depending what kind of music you play, Atlanta might be a good place to go. Tampa also has an active music scene. Fort Lauderdale and Miami have tons of clubs that always need bands, but the traffic and crowding down here is horrendous.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog777 View Post
Atlanta has quite a few original music venues that do pretty well. Numerous sports-bars that book cover bands on the weekends. Atlanta Institute of Music is here, and there are a ton of musicians here in just about every style of music.
All that said, you can't escape the fact that Atlanta is the hip-hop capital of the world right now.

Thanks for the heads up on the Big A (trying to sound hip hop)

I've always spelled RAP with a silent "C" (C R A P)

I am leaning towards the Daytona/Volusia County area because it is a hop skip and a jump to O Town, Tampa and South FL.

I just figure it would be good to weigh my options. If anyone knows of other cool places to move in the Southeast US, I'm all ears

Last edited by screamndemon69; 05-05-2007 at 04:09 PM.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 05:42 PM

While I am familiar with Daytona (200 baby!), I have no idea about the music scene.

I will echo surfdog's comments about our scene, but while Atlanta seems focused on hip hop at times, there are still plenty of rock people. You could literately play live every night if you wanted two. I have two friends in separate bands, and they are always being asked to play.

I am not sure what the teaching market is like, but one of the two friends gives lessons and he is always booked.

Let me know if you need/want more info

Here are some local bands I know to give you an idea

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=111440628

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=43160133

http://www.myspace.com/threatoflife

http://www.threatoflife.com/

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=41315717

http://www.myspace.com/s w a n ksinatra

http://www.s w a n ksinatra.com/

http://www.myspace.com/thebastardsuns

http://www.thebastardsuns.com/

Last edited by Ayrton; 05-05-2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: added links
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 09:07 PM

As a resident, I wouldn't recommend Tampa area. There is a fierce underground music scene, but most people seem to like the dance/techcno club around here. Ybor city is filled with them.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the Big A (trying to sound hip hop)
You're close -- the hip-hop crowd affectionately refers to our city as "THE A-T-L."
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 11:38 PM

People will always think other cities have a better scene than their own, and most would be wrong. I hear Atlanta people complain, and then see bands drive all the way from south Florida because they say there are no rock clubs in south Florida.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
No consideration for Nashville or LA since there are TOO MANY musicians in those locals, I'm not a country player...
You don't have to be a country player to succeed in Nashville. I know of tons of hard rock, blues rock, etc players in Nashville.

You could consider Memphis as well.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks gang! I appreciate all the info!!

I'm going to continue researching and take everyone's input into consideration and if I need more info, I'll post more questions.

That's good to hear about Nashville and Memphis has never even been a consideration. I'll check into those areas a little more as well.

Like i was saying about Daytona (actually to be specific, I lived in the nicer Ormond part of the area), I lived there for 20yrs and know the area very well. It is close to all other Central FL locals and there is a bajillion places to play (that actually pay fair money). I just always think of the quote from Jeff Foxworthy to sum up Daytona and the surrounding areas, "If you think Daytona is paradise, you might be a redneck".

In the Daytona area you can bank on a minimum 20 gigs a year just from Bike Week and Biketoberfest events that gets you exposed to an International crowd. The biggest downfall is the seasonality of the area. It has always been a love/hate relationship with that area.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog777 View Post
Yep, I'd take FL big time over Atlanta (or any part of GA) as far as the music scene and eveything else. I love the Daytona area and have a long history there (family)

Sounds like more than location, you are just burning out with your current band and want to progress. I'm thinkin you need a change my friend (somethin fresh) in the band area rather than a geographic change.

All that being said, just try to remember, it's easy to take things for granted whether it be the location OR the band. (grass is always greener) Just don't make too hasty a move or it may be one you end up regretting

I'm sure you'll find the right direction!

Rock on ~BONES!!!~
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Yep, I'd take FL big time over Atlanta (or any part of GA) as far as the music scene and eveything else. I love the Daytona area and have a long history there (family)

Sounds like more than location, you are just burning out with your current band and want to progress. I'm thinkin you need a change my friend (somethin fresh) in the band area rather than a geographic change.

All that being said, just try to remember, it's easy to take things for granted whether it be the location OR the band. (grass is always greener) Just don't make too hasty a move or it may be one you end up regretting

I'm sure you'll find the right direction!

Rock on ~BONES!!!~
Thanks Bro.

You are right about getting burned out with my current band. They are a cool group of guys but the lack of goals, desire to work and true caliber talent is a little disheartening. I can't carry the band by myself. My drummer is the only guy I feel on par with. He is rock-solid but has many other serious issues.

At 35yrs old, I'm the YOUNGEST guy in my band. That started out as a good thing and brought new life into them but that seems to have faded.

I'm definitely ready to make a change of somekind. I usually get the 5yr itch to shake up my world and I'm now two years past due for some changes.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 06:01 AM

Well.....I hear ya totally bro. That's why I finally formed my own band after years of dissapointment, let down, burn out, etc. But even with that, now it looks as though my guitarist has other priorites

Hey......wanna move here and join??
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Well.....I hear ya totally bro. That's why I finally formed my own band after years of dissapointment, let down, burn out, etc. But even with that, now it looks as though my guitarist has other priorites

Hey......wanna move here and join??
I have thought about CO in the past being that it is my home state (Springfield to be exact). Snow is the only thing holding me back or I would take you up on it.

I've always LOVED the Western US. People are very different in a good way west of the Mississippi. I have LOTS of family out West. I still have a close friend in Beaver Creek playing keys in a cool band. I'm just not a snow person anymore. I'm spoiled with all the sunshine and bikinis in FL. You gotta love a place where shorts, skirts and bikinis are worn more months a year than long pants.

Maybe that is a big consideration. If I start my own project, I would have more control over the destiny and would only be able to blame myself for any failures. I already have a name, MADSTOK, that I have been using for business purposes. I can try to put it together as a side project and if it takes off then I can re-prioritize things with my current band.

To be fair to the guys I play with now, I guess I shouldn't expect alot from a band with a name like, "FLASHBACK" that actually booked itself as "Intense Flashback" when I first joined

I tried to get the name changed to "Average Jones" at one point.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I tried to get the name changed to "Average Jones" at one point.
Lol....how about "Average Bones"

And dude...the weather isn't bad here at all for the most part (this winter was not the norm) But it's been beautiful since mid January (and the shorts / skirts and bikini's are out in force )

and what do you care about bikini's anyways.....you're OLD and married

*my turn to run and hide*

Tags
combo amp , heavy metal , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode