Cool computer thing I did. - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Cool computer thing I did.

Step 1 - Buy external HDD.
Step 2 - Partition External HDD to have a small unformatted partition, and a large unformatted partition.
Step 3 - Install Linux on the small partition using an ext4 filesystem, and then format the large partition with NTFS from within windows.
Step 4 - Boot from your external Hard drive on your home computer and set up everything you want on your desktop.
Step 5 - Take your external drive around to a friends house. Edit their BIOS to boot from your external drive.
Step 6 - Enjoy your own desktop, with all your tweaks and settings, fully functional, on your friends computer.
Step 7 - Set your friends BIOS back to the way it was before you came around, so they can get back into their computer.
Step 8 - Leave.

In a nutshell, what this lets me do is use an external hard drive as the root of any computer system. All my tweaks and programs are readily available. I don't have to figure out where anything is on a friends PC (With some messy friends this is a nightmare), and on top of that, if you're using a friends PC who doesn't know how to take care of their stuff, you don't end up getting suckered into fixing their spyware problems!

Everybody wins! Its also safer all round than using your friends PC, since if anything goes wrong and you screw up from within the linux on your hard drive, the only thing that'll get screwed up is your linux partition on that hard drive, rather than your friends computer.

I know, nobody cares, but I thought this was a cool idea I've also tested it, and it works just fine!

For anyone who is wondering why I didn't install windows, heres why - Windows tracks the composition of hardware in a system. If you change too much hardware at once, windows throws a fit and assumes you've cloned the hard drive to use in another computer, and won't boot, as an anti-piracy measure. It wouldn't work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 03:51 PM

Re: Cool computer thing I did.

It is handy to do, i have a few flavours on Usb sticks for taking things about home and to uni etc, (i like pendrives as they are very quick to backup from and i dont take all my music)
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
handy tools for making live distros bootable on flash/hdd whatever.

also you can use portable apps http://portableapps.com/ and just have a second 'start' menu on any computer..that one is really handy for work/Uni comps that have restricted access
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 06:15 PM

Reviews: 11

I approve the approval of linux
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 11:46 PM

Reviews: 2

A lot of older PC's are unable to boot from USB... and since most of the computers i fix are old 95/XP machines, this method has one serious flaw.

But for machines that do boot form USB, it's great.

Toodles!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by julzius View Post
A lot of older PC's are unable to boot from USB... and since most of the computers i fix are old 95/XP machines, this method has one serious flaw.

But for machines that do boot form USB, it's great.

Toodles!
I don't think i've used a 98 era PC since....about 2003.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode