Covid, and you. - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Vendor

Covid, and you.

We have been talking about this in another thread

https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/i...ml#post1550157

But it's important enough to deserve it's own place for people to comment, complain, and sometimes grieve. We will all be affected by this and may end of knowing somebody that doesn't make it.

In reponse to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
“Social distancing” effectively eliminated all demand and all supply for anything involving music and people and it took about 1 day to do it. This virus certainly disrupted many industries in terrible ways but music was down before it heard the shot proverbially speaking. I understand why it needed to happen though.

Observations:
COVID-19 has created the unusual problem of healthy people risking their health by interacting with other healthy people. Asymptomatic people are both healthy and contagious at the same time which is really not helpful.
3M N95 respirators are in short supply and are reserved for medical workers. This suggests they are effective.
The social distancing measures are in effect through April 30th now.

Thoughts:
Everything I am going to say would be difficult to do, might fail, might succeed, and have been thought of I am sure.
- Would you wear a N95 respirator if it allowed you to return to something close to normal life? I realize it does not solve all problems but it would significantly lower the risk of airborne particles caused by people sneezing, coughing, breathing, from reaching your mouth and nose, which according to the CDC is one way the virus is transmitted. It seems it would also keep your airborne particles to yourself. Again, this is not perfect but if it made a significant difference, would you be willing to wear them so you could be in public with other people?
I always wondered if someday we'd look like we lived in Beijing.

They're expensive right now, I bought 30 today, she may be a rahab nurse but she gets junk that's for show, they have to wear a mask but it wouldn't stop anything and is completely unsealed. every medical facility is a place where there are alot of people and there's no way you can be in medicine and be 6' away from anybody. Normally you could buy them for $4 but they're $10-$20 each, depending on if you can catch the right bulk deal.

The ones with exhalation ports aren't going to stop you from spreading it but the unvalved ones would. Except that everything about you is contaminated. It's liking on my leather for 2 days, you buckles for 3, your clothes for up to a day. Every hard surface you touch that's been touched by alot of people is infected for 3 days. I go to PT everything I touch is beings sprayed and sanitized after I'm done, including the pen I sign my receipt with, you throw it in the trash.

We're in a climate that I have to assume you're infected and you have to assume I am, and we feel just fine. They're worried about basketball season, Baseball? Football could end up cancelled, they're racing virtual game on race day!!!

We live in a very different world. I fully expect that no matter what competence level there was in charge this was going to end up getting us, but we have the most cases in the world and are behind everybody else in preparedness. It doesn't help that people will just not ****ing listen. My grandaugter came down 2 weeks ago and an hour into the visit tells me their best friends had just had it and said it was like a bad cold, they weren't worried in the least. So I've been self isolated for 13 days, I'm 98.6. I think I skirted it [knock wood]Virus parties, at least 3 I heard of where somebody tested positive after one. Sometimes I wish I'd just catch it and get it over with, but then who even wants a bad cold, much less what it can possibly do.

So lets send grandpa back to work as the greater at Walmart, and all the workers in environments just begging to spread virus, just so the economy starts again. The good news to you young guys is if it kills enough of us boomers you've got a shot at a Social Security check.

This has the possibility of diapering in a month, to the possibility it collapses the entire system, the whole world. 2 tril? Maybe 10 tril for the US. So what, we each owe $400,000 to the national debt as it is, what's another $150***. Forgive your mortgage for 3 months now everybody living paycheck to paycheck is going to be in foreclosure before they can even get back on their feet. It's 2008 on steroids since they repealed Dodd Frank and Glass Steagall and all your pension and savings account are back in the plunging market. Depression, total economic collapse when the insurance companies can't pay the load and collapse, the banks are down, nobody has any money to buy anything anyway, or pay your bills. You certainly don't want to be in an airplane without a hazmat suit on, how many restaurants can survive?

With at least of most of America finally starting to get it it's going to slow that curve but IMO it's going to be a sign wave, speeding up and slowing down, and over again. You can only relate to the Spanish 1918, but everybody forgets it was the 1918 to 1920 flu. We know more now but we put too much faith in science bailing us out, just like they'll be able to save the planet. Sometimes you need a good pandemic to thin the herd, as the earth cannot support the amount of people, culling the population 5% can only help it.

Interesting times.

To your question, I'd wear a mask, but the data shows most of the pear to pear transmission is by touching infected surfaces and infecting yourself by picking your nose or etching your eye. Anybody stop picking your nose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 03:52 PM

Re: Covid, and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Anybody stop picking your nose?
I ask them to stop but people are persistent.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 04:27 PM

I guess it depends for hand washing. I spent the last week on quarantine at home since my grandkids had gone out of state, but back at work at the hospital wearing a mask for the next week. Yesterday we were cleaning out a rat infested house that my daughter bought (1st house) and I didn't bother to wash my hands when we roasted brats and hotdogs for lunch. Just a country boy I guess... But here at the hospital where I work?? I wash after every elevator button I push or doorknob I touch!! Location, location, location... ;-)
post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 03:58 AM

NYC looked dreary today but it really made the HSNS Comfort stand out as a beautiful ship when it arrived. That was good event I wish the media dwelled on a little bit longer.

The media could also try something new: make an effort to reduce anxiety instead pouring fuel on the fire. People can handle terrible news. It’s the speculation of how terrible news could be even more terrible and therefore probably will be. This is what they seem to dwell on and this what bothers me and I don’t think I’m alone on that.

I know I’m generalizing so I apologize to the journalists maintaining their integrity.
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 06:55 PM

Sunny and 80 degrees here by the pool in Florida!
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 01:41 PM

I live in Madrid, Spain. We are confined at home since the 15th of March. It has just been announced that we are going to stay this way at least until the 26th of April!. We can only go out to buy food, medicines or to do essential work (hospital workers, doctors, essential factories, etc).
Myself, I haven't gone out since the 20th of March. My girlfriend goes out to buy food and that's it. Economy is going down the drain. Historic unemployement record on March. It's really scary what's going to happen.
10.000+ deaths now.
It's hard, really hard.
Stay safe!.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We live in a very different world. I fully expect that no matter what competence level there was in charge this was going to end up getting us, but we have the most cases in the world and are behind everybody else in preparedness.

With at least of most of America finally starting to get it it's going to slow that curve but IMO it's going to be a sign wave, speeding up and slowing down, and over again. You can only relate to the Spanish 1918, but everybody forgets it was the 1918 to 1920 flu. We know more now but we put too much faith in science bailing us out, just like they'll be able to save the planet. Sometimes you need a good pandemic to thin the herd, as the earth cannot support the amount of people, culling the population 5% can only help it.

To your question, I'd wear a mask...
My mask question was hypothetical. I had no idea 5 days later it would be strongly advised by the government. 5 days ago feels like an eternity and yesterday all at the same time.

Regarding leadership, I agree. This got past many brilliant people all over the world. In order to be prepared, it seems we would need to know how to prepare and what we are preparing for. The only things I feel comfortable saying is no one wanted this and what this virus has done to the world in such a short amount of time is humbling.
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
My mask question was hypothetical. I had no idea 5 days later it would be strongly advised by the government. 5 days ago feels like an eternity and yesterday all at the same time.

Regarding leadership, I agree. This got past many brilliant people all over the world. In order to be prepared, it seems we would need to know how to prepare and what we are preparing for. The only things I feel comfortable saying is no one wanted this and what this virus has done to the world in such a short amount of time is humbling.
>I always wondered if someday we'd look like we lived in Beijing.

I've always thought it was inevitable. I spent around $600 on masks in the last 3 days. Thankfully before they started talking about it. That's the only way China got it under control, they were all under mandatory order to wear them. And the pretender surgical mask they give her does little to stop transfer in close contact with anybody carrying. Prices are insane, you have to shop hard and alot because ebay is closing down most of what they find because it is gouging, but when your nurse has to deal with 100 people in close proximity every day there's a very good chance one is a carrier. 3M 8511's were $25-$50 each before the announcement, now they're closing near $80 a mask in 10 packs. And of course there are plenty of fakes to wade thru.

Stay safe everyone, and stay the hell away from me
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

We’re still under the advice that masks aren’t necessary, that said based on new reports of ‘alternative symptoms’ I’m fairly sure I’ve had it a couple of weeks ago. I took a week of work with what I thought was tonsillitis, but couldn't get to see a doctor, so just retreated to my bed to try to sleep it off with the aid of common house hold medicines...

Based on how I was feeling, I’d prefer to have it in the spring or autumn than summer or winter!

Stay safe everyone

Last edited by jono; 04-05-2020 at 03:55 AM.
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
We’re still under the advice that masks aren’t necessary, that said based on new reports of ‘alternative symptoms’ I’m fairly sure I’ve had it a couple of weeks ago. I took a week of work with what I thought was tonsillitis, but couldn't get to see a doctor, so just retreated to my bed to try to sleep it off with the aid of common house hold medicines...

Based on how I was feeling, I’d prefer to have it in the spring or autumn than summer or winter!

Stay safe everyone
Thank you for sharing and I sincerely mean that. Recovery from the virus is a side to this problem that is not being recognized beyond vague reassurance, which turns out not to be very reassuring. New York is starting to release the number of Coronavirus patients who have recovered and been released from the hospital. I appreciate that and I imagine others do to. Even a quick note saying “I had it, it sucked, I’m better now,” preferably from someone with a first and last name, is good news. A little bit of good news is not enough to make everyone believe things are back to normal, but they provide little boosts to morale.

Rich, you are a man who can get stuff, like Morgan Freeman from Shawshank Redemption, which is a compliment.

Last edited by jono; 04-05-2020 at 03:55 AM. Reason: typo in my post that was quoted
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 11:39 PM

It has been 21 days since the last post. I’m not sure what that equals in COVID time, but I hope people are coping as well as they can. Check in if you feel inclined to do so.
I was watching CNBC one day and one of the news anchors who was working from home had in the background an acoustic guitar leaning against the wall. I found that encouraging. Have any of you seen guitars in places you would not expect belonging to people you recognize for non-guitar reasons?
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Vendor

Finding out the now extremely low death rate , and high asymptomatic but infectious rate, it's a tricky f*****.

You can have it and never know it, every single sneeze and a couple blown noses and that may be your whole experience getting sick. Or get a blood clot and lose your leg.

I bet it's been here since December, they'll find somebody that died somewhere, exhume and test positive, dead from pneumonia or unknown causes.

Unsettling to see the WHO put out a statement not to assume you cannot get it again if you test positive for antibodies. They must know something to say that after the heat they've gotten lately.

She had a "flu" in February, hit her at work, so she got tested before she left, she didn't have the flu, but she was definitely sick for 2 days and recovering for a couple after. Right after I got hit with what I thought must have been food poisoning, 4 hours of death and then recuperating a day. No idea, we should all be taking an antibody test, if we can believe the result, questionable. It's the new race to millions in snake oil, fake supposedly approved test kits a hospital in NC spent a half million on. Lots of scams crawling out of the woods, don't click on any email links...... Or we could all inject disinfectant or bleach to kill the germs, we should look into that, sounds like good advise.....

Last week, she worked the covid ward [4 patients, rehab facility], next night she went in and was told since she worked it she had to work it again. Then after working it half the night they pulled her to a clean ward, cross contaminating it. This is the same major player that put out the order, after I bought masks, that nobody was allowed to wear anything but the show masks they supplied, because everybody was trying to protect themselves and wearing real masks under the show. They did give her an n95 for the positive ward.

Figure 40 million positive, mostly on the coasts with fly over coming on strong. Lets all go get in a crowd elbow to elbow unprotected and protest that they should be protected, and sanitized, and probably infected 14% of them. Sounds like fun but I'll pass.

Gotta be many on hard times out there, paycheck to paycheck, and missing 6? now. Anybody get their assistance deposits yet? Anybody checking the couch for change? Used to be able to find enough to buy a pack, then they got expensive! Unemployment? Are they giving you full salary plus $600? Would you rather make the extra $600 or go back to work?

Strange new world. We can go to Georgia for a haircut and tattoo, then hit the beach in Myrtle on the way home.

Anybody else stir crazy watching out for GERMS!!!
FireEagle likes this.
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 03:24 AM
Contributor

Yeah this one is not fun at all. For the most part it's behaving in the same way we know most coronaviruses behave, but with some extra tricks up it's sleeve. The induction of such an inappropriate immune response in some people is a real kicker.

This is an image I took of it the other day...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200409_SARS-CoV-2_11.53.37 CCD Acquire.jpg (805.5 KB, 95 views)
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteropid View Post
Yeah this one is not fun at all. For the most part it's behaving in the same way we know most coronaviruses behave, but with some extra tricks up it's sleeve. The induction of such an inappropriate immune response in some people is a real kicker.

Wow! Thank you!
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteropid View Post

The cameras on these new iPhones are brilliant

Tags
covid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode