Creating my own business? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Creating my own business?

Hey guys, my friend Jesus and I have been throwing the idea around of making a business that builds Pc's for people (probably mostly gamers) and that repairs them we want to make it as affordable as possible (unlike Voodoo pc with their 1k dollar paint jobs that are worth 30 bucks). Do you guys think that will make a good profit and what would be the first steps into creating a business like this? Also does anyone have any ideas for this business to make ever more profit. (I was thinking if got enough money from selling a few pc's that I could get a cnc machine and start custom cases)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 05:48 PM

Re: Creating my own business?

PC market is fiercely contested - been there years ago and bought everything in pallets and ex-stock job lots - I got it cheap but it was still hard to be competetive..

custom cases sound cool though
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

yes, competition will be the hardest thing to get past since all the big businesses like to keep the little man down. We will definitely start locally so that competition isn't so bad but if we start expanding we will have to put up with people like Alienware, Dell, Voodoo Pc, Falcon NW and all the others trying to beat us to a pulp.
I was thinking also have a Website where you can contact us and tell us all your uses for your PC and we will build you a pc quote, then if you would like to buy we can do that. Also on the website have something like IBUYPOWER.com where you can simply select your own components and have your pc built by us and sent to you.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 06:14 PM

Reviews: 25

Thats all great but your first problem is to advertise. I run a pc repair and building business and the number one deal breaker for a successfull business is advertising. If no one knows about you then you wont get business...
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
Hey guys, my friend Jesus and I have been throwing the idea around of making a business that builds Pc's for people
Do they come with Re-pentium processors? Haw Haw Haw
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
Do they come with Re-pentium processors? Haw Haw Haw
lol, well we will have this disclaimer: "If your Pc Dies Jesus will resurrect it"
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 07:23 PM

"Running a business? Need to keep those documents safe? Let Jesus Save them for you!"

Last edited by Davey; 12-14-2007 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

hahah nice, but in all seriousness do you guys think I could profit off this? If not I'll get a CNC machine anyway and make custom guitar bodies and pc cases (for myself >_<....maybe others)
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 07:45 PM

In all honesty, the PC industry is such a hard business to trade in. I'm a part-time PC tech and I can tell you that there is ALWAYS someone there doing whatever you are doing better, cheaper, etc. There are soooo many people with their fingers in this pie it's very hard.

However, if you can find a niche market and you have a back up plan (this is essential) you should go for it.

Personally I had video games business set up earlier this year that also did PC upgrades and repairs but it fell through due before I even opened due to not finding the right location. Location is near enough everything. Fortunately I had the back up plan, I sold all my stock quickly (and donated a huge chunk to a children's hospital too) and came off practically where I started, which is not a bad thing at all.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 10:40 PM

Reviews: 1

I think affordable cool cases would be awesome. Maybe you could start out modding cases and ****ing them, see where it goes? Between ****, craigslist, and other online venues you may be able to at the very least make a supplemental income. Anyway, best of luck to you, let us know what you decide to do!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 10:49 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
Hey guys, my friend Jesus and I have been throwing the idea around of making a business that builds Pc's for people (probably mostly gamers) and that repairs them we want to make it as affordable as possible (unlike Voodoo pc with their 1k dollar paint jobs that are worth 30 bucks). Do you guys think that will make a good profit and what would be the first steps into creating a business like this? Also does anyone have any ideas for this business to make ever more profit. (I was thinking if got enough money from selling a few pc's that I could get a cnc machine and start custom cases)

Thanks
i see no profitability in this.

gamers will not pay YOU to do this and there are alot of variable and pitfalls. one return or defect would crush profits on the next 5 sold.

the best PC DIY business would be in an affluent area servicing virus-removal, internet/newPC setup, setting up wifi for cash only. part time by appt... glen
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
i see no profitability in this.

gamers will not pay YOU to do this and there are alot of variable and pitfalls. one return or defect would crush profits on the next 5 sold.

the best PC DIY business would be in an affluent area servicing virus-removal, internet/newPC setup, setting up wifi for cash only. part time by appt... glen
*DING*
Exactly.
Service is going to make more profit than build/ customization.
Consider the Overhead and labor of one over the other.
I hate to tell someone NOT to do something, but at the same time, unless you are doing something that has NEVER, EVER been done before, as 249 said, that is not very likely. Being an out of garage guy now with PCs is just not going to bring you the same fortune that Michael Dell found.
If you were able to align yourself with a specific vendor or acquire rights to a specific technology, then you may have a shot, but being the small guy, that seldom happens.

Anyway, best of luck whatever you do.
Keep us informed.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 10:12 AM

like any biz, this could be good or not good. the pc market is filled with many people who want to do this, and also filled with many who gave up fast. we thought of doing it ourselves...being that my crew at the day job will be out of work soon...we were going to start a biz like what you mentioned. we started the website, got our biz cards....but it just isn't working. we talked a lot and it just kinda stopped moving ahead. i did get a couple clients for the biz and i took care of it all from start to end. being that i also have the photo / video thing i'm babying, i can't do this too...so i'm out for now. all in all i think it's a good idea but people have to know you are out there. try to hit the home markets as well.....home users won't need custom cases....but moms and dads and people in neighborhoods who buy pc's from bestbuy will need help with stuff such as spyware and the like. maybe they want to get into wireless or you could suggest that to make their lives easier. make these people your target market. win them over with your charm honesty and knowledge and you will get return clients and they will certainly talk about you and pass your name on. you can also include the custom thing too but i wouldn't make that your main thing. good luck.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 11:01 AM

Make sure you have a business plan for short (build up), medium (diversify service), and long term (expand). Its good to dream about expanding, but keep it real and get there step by step. Your first goal is to stay above break even for the first couple of years, while building a customer base.

The glen's idea (on-site customer support) and the custom cases (I hope you meant customer designed - you-assisted) are good services to have. Service is where it is going to be in my opinion.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post
Make sure you have a business plan for short (build up), medium (diversify service), and long term (expand). Its good to dream about expanding, but keep it real and get there step by step. Your first goal is to stay above break even for the first couple of years, while building a customer base.

The glen's idea (on-site customer support) and the custom cases (I hope you meant customer designed - you-assisted) are good services to have. Service is where it is going to be in my opinion.
alright guys, I'll start off working with my friend's mom's business of Pc service (I'll open the Naples division in my mall, his mom has the Ft Meyers division.) It is called CSA which is Computer Service of America. Once I get some more moola I will start a separate thing that creates custom cases, and yes they can be customer designed or I can put up some examples that I'd do.

Like I would start my own PC service business but competing with my Best Friend since 1st grade (and his mom) is hard to do and they are already pretty well established. As I said I could just join and help expand which the money would help me expand my ideas of getting a CNC machine for making Wacky things.

I also just got the idea of maybe trying to swirl a pc case??!?!??! hmm??? Would it be possible? hah
Also with a CNC machine maybe I could make custom fan grills and custom metal window decals. Also maybe as an addon service to the typical virus remove, repair windows stuff maybe have a service where I can reduce noise of your PC (I know my PC is a beast for noise so I think its an alright Idea), because I have access to high quality acoustic foam from Yamaha since my dad's Piano Service business is sorta attached to them

One last thing, hah, from reading what you guys think I have definitly decided to drop primarily building pc's (maybe as a side note kinda think I could do) and I am trying to go for stuff that is not offered as often but would be pretty sweet to have. I know that ive seen only about 1 custom pc case maker and he sells them for A LOT!!!! so if I can keep coming up with cool ideas that I know the consumers will consume (duh) then I think I might have something. What do you think?

edit: WHAAA I just got another idea!! How bout selling Modded HD's that have like LED's and Clear Windows, If I do do that I would probably start with selling them and not modding current hd's that the person has already because there are chances of messing up the data. (I will practice with crappy old HD's first hah) and once I get good I can mod your current HD (and yes I am not dumb I will still back it all up)

double edit (lol) : on more Idea, I could solve temp issues with pc's as a repair service. I know sooooo many people that have had problems with their pc's because of crappy fans and stuff like that, I could use my knowledge of air flow and physics to create the best cooling for your PC. (maybe add some LED's here and there ) Also maybe have a thing where I could Window your non-windowed pc case

Last edited by newbieguitarmaker; 12-14-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Tags
custom guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how do we stay in business
how does radio shack stay in business?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode