Cryptolocker!!! Eveyone read this!!! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Cryptolocker!!! Eveyone read this!!!

I'm sure some of you guys might already know about this nasty virus but I thought I would make a post. These jerks made a malware program called Cryptolock that encrypts your files then shows you a screen that says you have 72 hrs to send them $300 to enter the decrypt code to unlock them. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO GET YOUR FILES BACK!! according to experts. Make sure you backup your files and KEEP THEM OFF LINE!!

Here's a link to more info:
http://blog.malwarebytes.org/intelli...-need-to-know/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Cryptolocker!!! Eveyone read this!!!

Stickied in case ...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 03:54 PM

Worth looking at this as a mitigation strategy. Take the dash out of the domain name between foolish and it (added to avoid the swear filter here!)

http://www.foolish-it.com/vb6-projects/cryptoprevent/
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 04:17 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
Worth looking at this as a mitigation strategy. Take the dash out of the domain name between foolish and it (added to avoid the swear filter here!)

My daughter got hit with this on her Laptop 2 weeks ago. It's easy to disinfect, but once you do there's NO getting back your encrypted files if they're not backed up.....EVER!

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=46
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
My daughter got hit with this on her Laptop 2 weeks ago. It's easy to disinfect, but once you do there's NO getting back your encrypted files if they're not backed up.....EVER!

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=46
This is why I always tell people to backup everything, then backup the backup.
Every day stuff should be on an external hard drive.
Important stuff goes on DVDs, at least three copies of family pictures, important documents, etc.
One copy stays on the shelf, another goes into a firebox, the third goes to a trusted friend or a deposit-box for safe keeping. That may seem extreme, but I NEVER want to lose the pictures of my cousin, who sadly; is no longer with us. And puppy pictures and vacations and... well, you understand.
I won't pay for online backup though, maybe when I'm making more than a Wal*Mart fabric-cutter salary.

It's also become pretty common for people to leave their backup hard drive connected all the time to allow automated backups. Not a good idea.
Plug it in ONLY to do a backup, else a 'virus' like this can also lock you out of
those files as well if the drive is plugged in when the 'virus' runs its dirty work.
It's inconvenient sometimes since you have to remember to plug it in from time to time and depending on your backup software, having to manually run it, but there are many solutions that will keep track of changed files and back them up as soon as you plug it in.
The software that both Western Digital and Seagate provide on their external drives, while not the best, will do just this. The Windows 8 File History will do this as well, but it doesn't run as soon as you plug the drive in all the time. It runs on its schedule.

Good people are getting the word out. I'm sure one of my computer-stupid friends will be calling me with this. This kind of 'virus' has been around a while and I've not seen it myself; yet. Only heard a colleague in school talking about his mothers computer having this happen. Good thing she didn't send any money and he was like me about diligent backups.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 03:55 PM

Reviews: 1

One thing about backups. I have discovered that many of my backup discs have over the past 5 years (mostly pics and some audio), even though they have been in cases on a shelf in a temperature controlled room, the data is gone, the Drive treats it as a blank disc.
Span your backups across several types of storage medium. Cloud, DVD, BluRay, external drive, Flash Drive, whatever, don't put all your eggs in one basket.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
One thing about backups. I have discovered that many of my backup discs have over the past 5 years (mostly pics and some audio), even though they have been in cases on a shelf in a temperature controlled room, the data is gone, the Drive treats it as a blank disc.
Span your backups across several types of storage medium. Cloud, DVD, BluRay, external drive, Flash Drive, whatever, don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Did you close the sessions on your disks?
Sometimes when you place a disk with an open session (a disk you can record more data too) in a different computer it will see that disk as blank, and often with reduced capacity (it can only see the portion that's still record-able).
That is good advice, though.
That's why I say, "Backup your data, then backup your backup."
Since I posted here previously I've paid for more storage on my Sky Drive and I have all important 'stuff', like family pictures and copies of important documents, stored there as well. So I now keep four copies of all my important data. Technically more than four, since online backup, even google drive and sky drive, are stored on multiple servers to keep the data they are storing for you safe.
For those that don't want to think about it though, Carbonite is great. You install the software, pay your fee and backups are done to the 'cloud' for you.
Pretty 'no-brainer' stuff and I know a few people that use it and it's saved their bacon a couple of times when they deleted files they later realized they shouldn't have.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 04:38 PM

Just wanted to add:
Do not use re-writable DVD or CD, or even BD for backup. Use W.O.R.M. disks for backup and close the session. Less likely for there to be a problem later. Re-writable disks aren't able to burn the dark and the reflective 'bits' as intensely, so it's more likely that even small scratches can cause errors on the disk.
(No, I'm not old enough to remember when record-able CDs were called 'Write Once, Read Many' but we learned about it in a computer history class and it's too cute not to use. )
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 09:52 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Cryptolocker!!! Eveyone read this!!!

Wouldn't having a virus protection solve this issue?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
Wouldn't having a virus protection solve this issue?
Not always.
Virus scanners use a database of known 'viruses' and if a particular 'virus' isn't in the database yet, that 'virus' will be ignored. Heuristic detection can also be 'tricked' into allowing malicious software to run on any operating system.
Even Apple OS and Linux, no matter how 'virus-proof' their proponents claim differently.
I personally have only had one virus in the 14 years I've been heavy into computers. And it was the simple 'Stoned Virus', all it did was make your computer slow and I deliberately infected a computer that I was going to format anyway, just to see what it did for a laugh. (It was boring, actually)
I don't do anything special other than pay attention to web sites I go to, links on those same sites before I click them, and never, ever open an attachment in email unless I've been told by the sender that they are sending it beforehand, or I'll contact them and ask if they've sent me something if it's already in my email.
It's not hard to not get a virus, but it's also very easy to get one if you're not paying attention. More often than not it's because of a torrent, or another file sharing site that gets people into trouble. Warez sites are usually the worst for that. Everyone likes free software, especially something like Photo Shop that's crazy expensive... but... well, you can guess what you often end up with in addition to the software you were looking for.
Also, that MP3 of Justin Beiber isn't always an MP3. Your 11 year old daughter that just had to have whatever his latest song is, and got it on some sharing site, will click it and ooops! You now have a Trojan Horse that's installed a key-logger and a click monitor watching to see when you go to check your bank balance.
Anti-malware helps, quite a bit, but more often the problem is between the chair and the keyboard.
I'm not criticizing how people use their computers, mind you. I've never known a time when computer viruses weren't something every computer user has to worry about...I clean other peoples computers and think what it must have been like in the 'early days' of the Internet, way back in the early 90's, when you could dial your modem and not worry much about getting a worm.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 02:03 PM

An update on this, as there are two new variants of this software.

In order to provide protection for these two variants you need to setup a rule in your anti-virus software to prevent non-trusted processes from writing to the following extensions:

*.odt, *.ods, *.odp, *.odm, *.odc, *.odb, *.doc, *.docx, *.docm, *.wps, *.xls, *.xlsx, *.xlsm, *.xlsb, *.xlk,
*.ppt, *.pptx, *.pptm, *.mdb, *.accdb, *.pst, *.dwg, *.dxf, *.dxg, *.wpd, *.rtf, *.wb2, *.mdf, *.dbf, *.psd,
*.pdd, *.pdf, *.eps, *.ai, *.indd, *.cdr, *.jpg, *.jpe, *.jpg, *.dng, *.3fr, *.arw, *.srf, *.sr2, *.bay, *.crw,
*.cr2, *.dcr, *.kdc, *.erf, *.mef, *.mrw, *.nef, *.nrw, *.orf, *.raf, *.raw, *.rwl, *.rw2, *.r3d, *.ptx, *.pef,
*.srw, *.x3f, *.der, *.cer, *.crt, *.pem, *.pfx, *.p12, *.p7b, *.p7c

This place is still good too :

Remember Dave's note to remove the dash in the URL - the swear filter would block it otherwise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode