Curious about starting a public forum.... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Curious about starting a public forum....

Hey all.

I'd like to know what the difficulty would be to set up a message board similar to this one or projectguitar .com or whatever.

It would be a board only accessible to a few hundred people (i.e. passwords/user names assigned, rather than public registry)

Do i need my own server or would i put it on somebody else's?
how hard is it to set up/maintain, etc.? How much will server space be?

As i said, it would be more private than public, so moderators would probably not be necessary. I don't expect any SNERTs.

Any info would be appreciated.

thanks Glen, etc.

~K

PS: Snot Nosed Egotistical Rude Teenagers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 05:27 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Curious about starting a public forum....

given limited traffic you only need...

* a web host that supports php and mySQL database (most do)
* your domain name if you want an easy url to remember
* install phpBB (free) or vBulletin (paid)

figure 25-50mb space for the board and whatever mb for the database. with pruning you can keep the board under 20mb quite easily that size.

Both the above forums can allow limited registration, private mode and access via passwords. The board can be up in 30 minutes. The only maintenance you'll need to do other than backup is to install updates ASAP to avoid intruders (especially phpBB) which can take the same amount of time or less if you have a stock board... glen
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 05:26 AM

You want to make sure you have shell access to your server, that makes things a whole lot easier. I'd go for at least 100Mb disk space for your boards + added tools (phpadmin). If you allow uploads of images/video's etc. take that into consideration too. Your database size will vary, but to give you an idea, the vai.com boards database is currently around 130 Mb (10.000 users, two years worth of posts).
Maintenance is installing updates (with the proper tools this is a matter of minutes, no matter how insanely modified your board is (mods are added pieces of software with new or diffrent functionality, there are loads of nice mods out there) and maintaining your database (running optimize daily, analyze & repair weekly. This can be automated).

Last edited by Jeroenn; 05-24-2005 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Typos
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the help guys. (althoughI have no idea what "Shell Access to your server" means.)

I downloaded phpbb and followed their instructions for uploading it to my invisibleband site into its own folder. When i try to go to the install.html file, my website says "You are not authorized to view this page
You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied." I don't know how to get around this, so i'm at an impasse.

As far as what i'm doing...I'm part of a tennis group - a few hundred people fom the area. It's hard to make 10 phone calls everytime i want to make a match, so i wanted to start this thing up so people could post 'looking for a match May 30th during the day' kind of stuff. There won't be downloads or uploads off the server beyond the normal forum graphics. I don't foresee it taking up more than 20-30MB tops.

Since most of the threads will be date specific, I won't need to keep them on the server for more than 30-60 days or so.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 09:30 AM
site founder 0% owner

i haven't installed phpBB in a while but I believe you first need to go into mySQL and create a database and user for that database. then when you run the install script (from the install directory) you must update/upload config.php text file with the proper info

Code:
 --- for example config.php might look like this in notepad ---
<?php
// phpBB 2.x auto-generated config file
// Do not change anything in this file!

$dbms = 'mysql';

$dbhost = 'localhost';
$dbname = 'tennisdb';
$dbuser = 'username';
$dbpasswd = 'password';

$table_prefix = 'phpbb_';
define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);
?>
once that is done the install routine will create your user account, allow you to add forums & be visible.

it actually takes longer to explain than do so if you need help PM me with some login info to your site & i'll get it done later today... glen
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

ahhh...the missing link!

is MySQL an application? I have no clue. Am i dumb? is this something I should know? I did read that i had to do something with the config.php file, but i couldn't figure out what or how. I guess this is it.

I'm not sure I'll have time to tackle this today, but thanks for the offer and i probably WILL take you up on it at some point.

~Kenny
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 09:47 AM
site founder 0% owner

mySQL is an applicataion run by your webhost. in your website control panel you will have access to mySQL (if your webhost offers that)... glen
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 10:13 AM

mySQL is a free database application that a lot of websites and ISPs use. It generally comes as part of a hosting package that you can then use (e.g. to drive the back end of your forum software).

Dave
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

How would i access MySQL? All I've ever used to interface with my website server is WS_FTP.

Can I download it and run it locally and then upload the configured config file?

Again...pardon my complete ignorance.
~Kenny
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 02:07 PM
site founder 0% owner

you access it from a control panel / login from your website typically. you can't do anything with it by ftp. if you don't have mySQL then email your webhost and inquire about adding it or consider switching hosts. it comes with every hosting package nowadays... glen
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
How would i access MySQL? All I've ever used to interface with my website server is WS_FTP.

Can I download it and run it locally and then upload the configured config file?

Again...pardon my complete ignorance.
~Kenny
Throw that ws_ftp away kenny. It's not supported anymore, use coreftp .

Regards

André

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

eh...it works. I do very little on my website other than an update here and there.

so i have the little forum up & running, but it's very unstable. I can't even get onto the administrator panel...i just get a 404 error.

:-/

I'm losing patience and will to do this project.

~K
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

pretty much anything i do i get a 404. It can't find anything. i kept the directory structure as i was instructed to do, but i can't get off the first page....even to log out.

very frustrated. what do i do?

~K
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 04:50 PM
site founder 0% owner

what is the link? sounds like you have the paths incorrect when you initialized phpBB... should be very easy to fix.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

i'll PM you the ID/Pass

Last edited by kennydoe; 05-25-2005 at 12:07 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode