Cut my left index finger - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 25
Unhappy Cut my left index finger

Fark I just sliced the top of my index finger just under the Knuckle. I was building a PC and was pushing a metal partition thats supposed to move when pushed. I pushed and it was a little hard, and suddenly it gave way and my finger went right into a nice piece metal. The insides of PC boxes are so sharp.

Anyways my first thought was oh no, I may not be able to play guitar in the imediate future and possible for a lot longer than that.

I had a little girlie panick attack and started sweating. I didn't care about the finger just about playing the AXE.

Finally I got myself into action and got some medical supplies (bandaids) and detol spray.

Anyways just thought id share my recent scare.

I almost want to take out an insurance policy on my hands so that if anything happens I can get a pay out.

Not because, of all the money id miss out on because im such a great muso, just cause the amount of pleasure id miss out on from playing its worth millions to me.

Anyone else ever have a scare like that.... maybe breaking a wrist or arm and not being able to play the axe.. ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 07:34 AM

Re: Cut my left index finger

I locked my thumb in my car door about 4 weeks ago. I ended up goin to the Er like 4 days later and they burned a hole through my nail to drain the blood and man there was a lot. Then they were tellin me i had a piece of metal in the finger cuz it showed up in one of 4 x-rays and i need surgry. Im def. it was dust or something so I'm not worrying about it plus id feel it if there was. The nail came off and now the new one is like half-way grown in.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 AM

yes, im a service engineer and part time carpenter....
needless to say accidents can happen, two weeks ago I was swinging my hammer and caught it on a joist, missed the nail and hit my thumb which burst, spraying me and the whole area with blood.
a couple of weeks before that I cut a huge slice (1") off the end of my right index finger with a stanley knife - ive had so many hand/finger injuries that you can play dot-to-dot with the scars

the human body has an amazing ability to heal - dont stress over it.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 AM

I had a pet coc katiel rip the callous and dig in deep into the tip of my left index finger.

He ripped out a good 5mm crater.

I couldn't play guitar for a quite some time. All cause of a tiny freakin injury. Everytime I tried, it either hurt, or left blood on the fretboard (through a bandaid I might add), and generally just made things worse. so I left it and let it heal.

Was very nice to play again when I could though. Felt like the weight of the world had been lifted off my shoulders. I felt free.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 05:28 PM

Christmas day 2005.
An hour after the future Mrs. Doe gave me a Parker for Xmas, i did this.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 06:34 PM

oooh that looks nasty lol
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 PM

12" serrated knife. Slipped off what i was cutting. It bled surprisingly little.

Through a mircale, it was deep, but didn't do any tendon damage. It's a year and a half later and it still hurts occasionally.

I have other pics from before the stitches, but those are just a bit gross. I'll spare you. thank me later.

Be careful out there boys!
~K
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 25

How do I know if I need stitches or not ?
its not as a big as the one in the picture.

I can bend and move my finger fine and it doesn't hurt. I guess I should ask a doctor.

My brother in law is a doctor so I will ask him soon as I see him next.

Its great having a doctor in the family...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 10:20 AM

if your range of motion is okay, chances are it's okay. How bad is the pain?

When i had my cut, it hurt for MONTHS after the stitches came out. Playing guitar was possible, but certain copen chords (C, especially) hurt a lot to hold down.

When i bend my finger as i sit here typing this 18 months later, i have pain when i make a full-tight fist.

If you have insurance, it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to see a Doctor and get confirmation on this. What's the worst that can happen?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:31 PM

kennydoe, please could you send me the pics before you got stitches?

lol
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:53 PM

Man kennydoe's accident reminds me of my advisor for my master's degree.

Supremely talented composer and guitar player. This gentleman was using a chisel at his house and it slipped, and SEVERED! the tendon to his index finger in his left hand. he said the tendon sprung all the way back to base of his thumb! For about 8 months it was very had for him to barre with his index. The thing of it though was that he is such an amazing talent he still played circles around me with a damaged finger. He just figure out diferent ways to barre and to play passages that we were working on. I will always remeber that! Just thought I'd share....

Also we can't forget Django Rheihart....and to a way lesser degree Tony Ioomi . Just listen to some of Djangos recording and think about his accident. Have a good weekend!

Last edited by tobe; 06-15-2007 at 02:54 PM. Reason: finger to many times!!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 03:20 PM

I couldn't play for two years once. When I was a teenager I sliced off my knuckle, middle finger, left hand. Then when I was 25 my wife slammed my hand in the door and my left index finger popped like a grape. Reinjured my middle finger as well. That was a good year or so. My daughter kicked my right thumb and sprained it. 3 months before I could comfortably hold a pick again and it still pops when I bend it. I will spare you the pictures of my scarred sausages.

Last edited by Dino; 06-15-2007 at 03:21 PM. Reason: spelling like a third grader
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 03:54 PM

Just this morning, I accidentally sliced through the webbed piece of skin in between two of my fingers.

Reading everyone's comments here sounds like an episode of "Scarred" or something, one of those reality television shows. I'm in a medical field, but it still makes me a tiny bit queasy read some of these stories.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
I couldn't play for two years once. When I was a teenager I sliced off my knuckle, middle finger, left hand. Then when I was 25 my wife slammed my hand in the door and my left index finger popped like a grape. Reinjured my middle finger as well. That was a good year or so. My daughter kicked my right thumb and sprained it. 3 months before I could comfortably hold a pick again and it still pops when I bend it. I will spare you the pictures of my scarred sausages.
Everything you know about injuries is wrong!!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex10 View Post
Everything you know about injuries is wrong!!!
Well, I still suck, and I have to blame it on something.

Tags
playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode