Damn, I need a new job - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Damn, I need a new job

I hate it..... on the phone 8 hours a day, having to teach people how to use their own computers, man, this sucks.

Why do people buy stuff they have no idea how to use, or why is it for? It really hurts. There are still people buying analogue modems these days, WHY?????????? It SUCKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 AM

Re: Damn, I need a new job

Because they don't know any better. That's why they call you. Imagine being a mechanic in 1930? It has to be mighty frustrating though! How many calls a day do you usually have to deal with?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 10:03 AM

just be thankful my dad didn't call you to try and work out why his USB digital camera doesn't work no matter how hard you try and shove it in the serial port !!!
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post
Because they don't know any better. That's why they call you. Imagine being a mechanic in 1930? It has to be mighty frustrating though! How many calls a day do you usually have to deal with?
About 30 calls a day, with people who buy modem/routers/wireless routers and have no idea how to install them. We do provide manuals and stuff, and people still call with their products still in the box, saying they can't install. Man, it phisically hurts.... 18 months in this hell hole.

My job is to provide Tech. support to our products only, not Windows/MAC, but people don't/can't realize that.

Last edited by Gino; 04-30-2007 at 10:14 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 05:51 PM

Reviews: 120

Geez you only get 30 calls a day! I did tech support for a major ISP in Australia (also one of the worst) for ADSL and Cable for around 3 years (too long) and we were talking up to 70 calls a day!

I feel your pain man, rude arrogant people who refuse to listen to you and would rather argue and fight than solve their problem, which could be really quick if they just shut up and follow your instructions.

They think that everything can just be fixed up by some magic, or they think that even though they've read your supported configurations and understand you don't fix anything outside of them that they will still get a product and then complain when you can't help them!

Get out of there as soon as you can, working in environments like that is like getting cancer. The negative vibes I received really screwed me up for a while.

If I did something wrong I would be really up **** creek without a paddle, but if I did fantastic work nothing was ever said. It took me months after I got out of that job to not be freaked out in some way when I received praises for good work done.

I wish you good luck in finding greener pastures.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
I hate it..... on the phone 8 hours a day, having to teach people how to use their own computers, man, this sucks.

Why do people buy stuff they have no idea how to use,
Throw me in that category of brainless dults I'd be lost without you guys

Hopefully that gives your job new meaning

And I wouldn't be complaining, dude! You should be thankful that you have a job
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 06:16 PM

hah man I have just the thing that will make you laugh and you can probably relate to.
http://www.geardigest.com/2006/09/01...ed_comments_2/
http://www.geardigest.com/2006/11/21...pport_funnies/
http://www.geardigest.com/2006/11/24...support_humor/
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Geez you only get 30 calls a day! I did tech support for a major ISP in Australia (also one of the worst) for ADSL and Cable for around 3 years (too long) and we were talking up to 70 calls a day!

I feel your pain man, rude arrogant people who refuse to listen to you and would rather argue and fight than solve their problem, which could be really quick if they just shut up and follow your instructions.

They think that everything can just be fixed up by some magic, or they think that even though they've read your supported configurations and understand you don't fix anything outside of them that they will still get a product and then complain when you can't help them!

Get out of there as soon as you can, working in environments like that is like getting cancer. The negative vibes I received really screwed me up for a while.

If I did something wrong I would be really up **** creek without a paddle, but if I did fantastic work nothing was ever said. It took me months after I got out of that job to not be freaked out in some way when I received praises for good work done.

I wish you good luck in finding greener pastures.
I don't know what's worse, really: 70 calls a day or 30 calls that take 30 minutes, 1 hour or even sometimes 2 hours. (My record is almost 3 hours, and I didn't get it solved: that's the time it took for me to convince this australian guy that his computer was faulty) + about 50 or 60 e-mails to answer, every day.

I thank God I have a job, but this was the last job advertised in my area, for the past 18 months! It's a dead-end job, my work is not recognized, I mean, I'm carrying all the lazy people on my back.

I know this is making me ill: headaches 3 or 4 times a week, migraines, stomach ulcers. I need to get the hell out of there.

Cheers, guys.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Banned

Have you consider getting into a trade, like floor covering. It's not even a little hard for a qualified installer to make 50k a year, and an exceptional one to make twice that.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:50 PM

I actually don't mind doing some customer service when the customers are humble and willing to listen. I remember working at Wal_mart in the electronics department, though, and having more than a few customers who asked for help and then argued with me every step of the way. And then there was the customers that would come into the store looking for a fight.
Customer service: when it's good it's great but when it's bad it's a f*cking nightmare.
Write that down.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:58 PM

been there, done that since 1996, still doing it. i'm on phones, deskside, rebuilding, restoring data, listening to idiots all day. man i have stories! i can't believe the stupidity. i don't mean stupidity since they don't know pc's...that doesn't make them stupid. what makes them stupid is not listening to me when i'm walking through something and they blunder ahead, clicking clicking clicking....i don't have to tell you. no one listens. it's unreal.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
been there, done that since 1996, still doing it. i'm on phones, deskside, rebuilding, restoring data, listening to idiots all day. man i have stories! i can't believe the stupidity. i don't mean stupidity since they don't know pc's...that doesn't make them stupid. what makes them stupid is not listening to me when i'm walking through something and they blunder ahead, clicking clicking clicking....i don't have to tell you. no one listens. it's unreal.
you see those links i sent, funny stories in there.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 11:23 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
I don't know what's worse, really: 70 calls a day or 30 calls that take 30 minutes, 1 hour or even sometimes 2 hours. (My record is almost 3 hours, and I didn't get it solved: that's the time it took for me to convince this australian guy that his computer was faulty) + about 50 or 60 e-mails to answer, every day.

I thank God I have a job, but this was the last job advertised in my area, for the past 18 months! It's a dead-end job, my work is not recognized, I mean, I'm carrying all the lazy people on my back.

I know this is making me ill: headaches 3 or 4 times a week, migraines, stomach ulcers. I need to get the hell out of there.

Cheers, guys.
Trust me that figure is including calls that were half an hour to an hour. My record was talking to a guy who lived down the street from my office and I was on the phone for 3 1/2 hours and couldn't resolve the problem! That guy was cool though and it was a particularly sh1tty day so I stayed with him to avoid talking to more tools! His computer was having exceptionally long restart times and we restarted a lot.

I understand the making you ill part too. I had re-occuring throat infections for like after a year after I got out of there due to all the talking, air con, sick people, etc. Plus the headaches, the stress, the difficulty unwinding after a day at work. Call centres have to be one of the most hazardous workplaces, and you just sit on your arse!

Again, good luck finding a better job.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
Great stories there. I love the one about the lady trying to use her mouse as a foot pedal
Makes me thankful I work third shift and never have to deal with people.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 07:53 AM

Patience is a virtue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode