The day I thought the world had ended - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

The day I thought the world had ended

On the 23rd September 2009, Sydney Australia experienced an event that we had not experienced before, well, not in my lifetime.

On the 23rd of September 2009 I woke to something I had never seen before in my life. It scared me to say the least.

My alarm went off at it’s normal time of 5:30am. A time when it’s normally still dark at this time of year, with stars still visible. But on this day, things were not right. I woke to my alarm to find that our bedroom curtains were glowing a very bright red colour, with red light bleeding through the gaps around the edges.

After rubbing my eyes, thinking that I was still asleep, I looked again. Things were still very red. I jumped out of bed and threw the curtains open. What I saw, is what you see in the photo above.

Everything was bathed in a deep red light, the tree’s were blowing violently, and plumes of dust blew sideways.

Immediately I grabbed my phone, and to my dismay I noticed that my phone said, “Limited Service” on it. I woke Amanda thinking a nuclear explosion had happened, or World War 3. When I threw the curtains open and looked around, I honestly expected to see the four horsemen riding down the road.

But as I started to wake more, I began thinking it might’ve been a firestorm.

I decided to look out the back, stupidly thinking/hoping that maybe it might be normal back there…

I ran to get my camera and capture the event, but was afraid to step outside still. After taking photos I ran to my computer to check what the hell was going on. Strange, here I am thinking the world is ending or I’m trapped in a firestorm, and instead of attempting to find out information I go and grab my camera.

Hoping that I could still access the internet, I opened Firefox. Nothing. There was no news anywhere about this ominous red environment that awaited outside my house.

What the hell was happening?

I posted of facebook, and awaited replies. What else is one to do these days when he thinks the outside world may not be around? Unlikely that one would be able to access the internet if the world was ending, but hey, it was 5:30am!

It turns out that what we were experiencing was a dust storm. The largest one Sydney’s ever experienced.

Today, it appears we’re experiencing the same thing over again. But not as large. Outside is currently more of a yellow colour, and I can see further than I could on that red Wednesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 04:47 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: The day I thought the world had ended

i`m sure that was terrifying thing to witness first hand, kinda beautiful to look at in a wierd martian landscape kinda way though !
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 04:50 PM

Sounds pretty intense. Good thinking with the camera too.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 04:51 PM

Reviews: 37

i would have doodood in the pants lol
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
Today, it appears we’re experiencing the same thing over again. But not as large. Outside is currently more of a yellow colour, and I can see further than I could on that red Wednesday.
Need more pics for a rainbow collage

Didn't know that dust storms could be red though. If everything was red I would have thought that it was the end of the world and that I was in the dead zone or something as well.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 05:11 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

pretty wild... reminds me of the old flick Total Recall. ...glen
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 05:13 PM

Reviews: 15

I saw the pictures on the news here the other day - must have been pretty creepy to actually be there.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Get your azz to Mharz
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 06:44 PM

I like how the alarm can wake you but not a nuclear blast, haha!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 07:50 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
'makes me wish i had three hands!' hahahah
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 09:09 PM

Thumbs up Re: The day I thought the world had ended

That is ... unreal ! Strange story, thanks for sharing Wilch.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 11:56 PM

Raining Blood!!!!! \m/
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 12:28 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Beautiful!

The more we destroy mother nature the more we'll see huge changes on the weather.
My country used to have no problems with weather,no tornados,eartquakes,hurricanes etc but since 2007 some tornados are attacking the southern part.
We used to think we were lucky cause the only problem here was THE WORST POLITICIANS EVER but now mother nature is angry too.
And in the day we all have destroyed the amazon forest (yes we all because foreigner industries are cutting the amazon forest),we'll see mother nature in all its glory vanishing us Virus from this planet.
I really hope till there those NASA dudes won't be able to take us to another planet cause for real,we'll destroy another one.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 01:38 AM

Weird but very cool. I reminds me of the time i woke up in the middle of the night and it looked like there was police car parked outside because my window was flashing light through it like a flash from a camera or police car lights. I opened the window and looked up at the sky and the clouds where green with millions of lightning strikes going through it. The lightning was not going in the normal up and down way but in circles.
The strangest thing was there was no sound or thunder just light.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
My country used to have no problems with weather,no tornados,eartquakes,hurricanes etc but since 2007 some tornados are attacking the southern part.
Your country used to be connected to the continent Africa and had all kind of weathers and seasons during the millions of years since then.

Change is natural and it's too easy to point the finger to men's industry. We've heard for years about Co2 problems. Did you know nature itself causes almost all Co2 problems itself?

On topic: I saw the pictures in the morning news paper and it looked spectaculair. I can imagine that this would be a weird experience. Thanks for posting the story and pictures.

Tags
2009 , dust storm , september , sydney

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode