Dealers/Shops - Best & Worst? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Dealers/Shops - Best & Worst?

How about a thread to name and shame the stores you have had negative experiences with? and those you recommend?

Be a cool resource to see whom to avoid and who gives great service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 01:40 PM

Re: Dealers/Shops - Best & Worst?

There is no such factor as "rhythm guitar" or "lead guitar". It's still musical instrument, sometimes you perform notes, sometimes you perform individual notices, but you ALWAYS perform in defeat.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedsalim7216 View Post
There is no such factor as "rhythm guitar" or "lead guitar". It's still musical instrument, sometimes you perform notes, sometimes you perform individual notices, but you ALWAYS perform in defeat.
What's that got to do with the topic of this thread?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 05:23 PM

Well, Guitar Center's on my ****list permanently. I don't have to go into detail, I'm sure the reasons are clear enough.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Vendor

Sweetwater is on my sh!tlist after they sent me a JS25ART that they chipped the edge of the angled jack rout flipping out the cord [evidently a plug in test is the only thing they did because the $6000 guitar had no setup whatsoever] and proceeded to touch up the chip with sharpie, like nobody would notice. Don't believe the hype, Sweetwater is not what they used to be.
Rich is online  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 06:00 PM

Andertons in the UK. Returned 2 cosmetically damaged new guitars and got branded a 'serial returner'.

Gear4music.... great service

GAK, great service
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cina View Post
Well, Guitar Center's on my ****list permanently. I don't have to go into detail, I'm sure the reasons are clear enough.
You do not really need a reason. I do not know how much autonomy each Guitar Center franchise has but I have heard rumors of good Guitar Centers every now and again. If a good store manager has power, you might be surprised one day. If a good store manager has no power, like I said, you do not really need a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Sweetwater is on my sh!tlist after they sent me a JS25ART that they chipped the edge of the angled jack rout flipping out the cord [evidently a plug in test is the only thing they did because the $6000 guitar had no setup whatsoever] and proceeded to touch up the chip with sharpie, like nobody would notice. Don't believe the hype, Sweetwater is not what they used to be.
If you have seen the Walmart episode of South Park, you know how this story began and how it will end.

One store that I am really impressed with, though not directly related to guitars, is B&H Photo/Video/Pro Audio. I have never been to their store, but I hear it's cool. As an online customer, you go to their site, find the random niche product you need, pay for it, and they send it to you. This may not seem impressive but considering how many random niche products exist between photography, video, and pro audio, they do an impressive job at covering all of it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Mine would be Jason at Ishibashi, Havent bought from them and never will, found his manner to be abrasive and self important, not to mention his knowledge of product was less than stellar. Be warned, unless you promise him a sale, you wont get much in the way of service.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 09:51 AM

I've had good experiences with Sweetwater, but I have not bought *guitars* from them.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That sucks... I got my PRS and Fender from them no issues, but that scares the hell out of me. What did they say when you told them? Did you get a refund or returned the guitar?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 07:37 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by algorithmsjoe View Post
That sucks... I got my PRS and Fender from them no issues, but that scares the hell out of me. What did they say when you told them? Did you get a refund or returned the guitar?
Neither of which have angled jacks you have to be careful not to flip the plug into.

They tried the "oh, we didn't do that", well, how did it get there then, because it's not only chipped but it's been touched up with sharpie like an amateur. "oh, our guy is so careful, Ibanez must have done it", so you're just incompetent at inspecting new guitars you receive so you missed it? And Mike, HUSA lead tech, checked in every one of those ART's and knows perfectly well how to avoid chipping an angled jack, as I do [and Mike was the one I took it to that has the black Japanese ink that perfectly touches up anything Japanese black, and made it disappear.]

$500 refund, and I've done nothing but talk smack about them since, especially about the complete lack of setup or even minimal adjustment, and damaging, "touching up" and sending out a guitar I paid $6000 for, like I'd never notice.
Rich is online  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 12:05 AM

wow, you are lucky to have your contacts at HUSA, most people will just have a very expensive chiped guitar.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 12:23 AM
Vendor

They offered to touch it up of course, talking up how good their guy was, but I didn't particularly want to risk neck joint cracks on 2 more ships since it didn't have any when I got it, and I'm probably as good at touch ups as their guy. Mike and I both agreed after he inked it we shouldn't even put clear on it, it's so thin there you could easily get in more trouble than result trying to get it all to match any better than it looked just colored.

Actually anybody probably could have beat them into $500 off, I was just pissed at how they'd just sharpie it and let it go, which shows intent to deceive. Anytime you sell somebody something less than perfect as perfect, which is implied in a new untouched guitar, and you know it's not perfect, that's intent.

The flip side is you're the dope tech that just chipped the edge of a guitar you can't replace and know that sh!t is going to roll into your valley, you stick on whatever you can quick to hide it, from his bosses [and fellow dopes], and from me, and pass it down the line. I'm more pissed at Sweetwater than I should be, but the buck has to stop somewhere!

Last edited by Rich; 09-06-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Rich is online  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:07 AM

I know a few guys that work for them and they are ok techs. I don't think anyone is really as good as Rich when it comes to dealing with anything Ibanez related.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:20 AM
Vendor

I know they have one if you watched the Dwezil Zappa SG headstock repair that was in one of their more recent emails. That guy did it right. I think they have something like 40 techs so it's only logical there is a master or 3, and some decent worker bees, and some that just had to fill a need. Techs are not something that plentiful in small town mid America, you either have to steal them, or train them.
Rich is online  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode