Detroit - Disney World of the Midwest - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Detroit - Disney World of the Midwest

Not noly do we have a Mayor that is as crooked as a 60 cycle hum, but now we can't even depend on 911 operators.

A 5 year old boy called 911 to notify them that something was wrong with his mom. They hung up on him. He called again, and they told him to stop playing games - and the 911 operator hung up on him again. His mother died. 911 never dispatched emergency services because they thought the boy was playing games on the phone!

The Detroit police reviewed the 911 tapes and admitted that it did sound like the boy was playing games. Does that mean they shouldn't have at least investigated the situation?

The boy's last words on TV were "I just want my mom."

Too sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 11:17 PM
rgr

Re: Detroit - Disney World of the Midwest

Very sad, I hope that operator is now jobless. I don't say that lightly either, I don't wish that for anyone, but that's one of those life and death jobs where everything needs to be taken seriously.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 03:01 AM

That is very sad indeed..
When my girlfriends seven year old daughter and her friend called 911 and did a hangup. we were called back by the 911 operator, and even though we told her everything was ok(and my g/f's daughter told them everything was ok), she still dispatched two uniformed officers that were at our door within 10 minutes. A minor inconveience for them, but was comforting to know it was handled so fast.
(By the way the girls got a nice lecture from the officers about when and when not to dial 911)
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk
Not noly do we have a Mayor that is as crooked as a 60 cycle hum, but now we can't even depend on 911 operators.

A 5 year old boy called 911 to notify them that something was wrong with his mom. They hung up on him. He called again, and they told him to stop playing games - and the 911 operator hung up on him again. His mother died. 911 never dispatched emergency services because they thought the boy was playing games on the phone!

The Detroit police reviewed the 911 tapes and admitted that it did sound like the boy was playing games. Does that mean they shouldn't have at least investigated the situation?

The boy's last words on TV were "I just want my mom."

Too sad.
Nice .

Regards

André

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Even more scary is that the Department of Corrections (prison system) erroneously released a man from prison last month who wound up killing three people last weekend. Two of the victims lived less than 20 miles from my home and the third about 60 miles away.

The people who made the mistake are on unpaid leave.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Even more scary is that the Department of Corrections (prison system) erroneously released a man from prison last month who wound up killing three people last weekend. Two of the victims lived less than 20 miles from my home and the third about 60 miles away.

Wow!

Regards

André

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 06:49 PM

That is so incredibly sad.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 07:35 PM

Thtas very sad, but if they thought it was a joke i wouldn't blame them.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:

Hey Kirk, remind me to elect you for the Detroit tourism board. Sad stories, yes, but stories that occur in every large city in the country.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb
Hey Kirk, remind me to elect you for the Detroit tourism board. Sad stories, yes, but stories that occur in every large city in the country.
Sorry man....I was just at the JLA tonight for Cirque de Soleil and once again - no signs for anything! I was at Cobo on Saturday before Superbowl and no signs. You'd think they would have signs on I75 or I94 for Cobo or JLA, but you kind of have to guess where to go and where to park.

Yeah, I'm not the best candidate for the tourism board.

To be fair, the murders weren't in Detroit, they were in New Baltimore and Clio Michigan - suburbs of Detroit and Flint respectively.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 12:32 AM

Angry Re: Detroit - Disney World of the Midwest

Thats why im gettin the hell out of here in the spring. I have enough stories to start my own forum.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos grijalva
Thtas very sad, but if they thought it was a joke i wouldn't blame them.
I believe the policy is to dispatch emergency services (whether they be EMS , Fire or Police) no matter if it is a joke or for real. The system didn't work.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 02:38 AM

Pretty scary stuff happens in the big cities.

The Baltimore City P.D. is under investigation for failing to write reports for hundreds of felony and misdemeanor crimes that appeared to be unsolvable when officers got to the scene. The directive for this policy was reportedly initiated by a ranking commander on the current police commissioner's staff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode