Did you ever get the feeling..... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Did you ever get the feeling.....

That someone put a toilet seat over your head so the whole world can dump on you?
Most of you know I got laid off last week, now I'm having trouble getting a refinance on my house that we were jsut about to sign and to top it off the increbily ineffective Immigration department lost my wife's green card and their response was
"Our records show we printed out your green card and sent it to you. Since it was not returned we consider this case closed" So now we have to come up with another $600 to pay to file papers we already filed once, we will probably have to go through another interview process and someone else probably has my wife's green card.
So I'm almost in the situation of losing my house, maybe my wife and already my job.
I'm sure there's a country song in there somewhere

It's not a good time to be Cid.

Last edited by elcid; 10-04-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 09:30 PM

Re: Did you ever get the feeling.....

Cid, no matter WHAT happens, you're still the hero of some wacky fifteen year old girl you've never met.
If that doesn't cheer you up, I'm not sure what will.
I know it won't, but .. if I do the Funky Chicken Dance, would that help?
I'm not an adult, I haven't been through this, so I can't offer any words of comfort..
Hang in there buddy!!!!!!!!!!!
You still have teh ability to make everyone laugh so DON'T WORRY about it, okay??? You're still awesome in MY book!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 09:47 PM

ElCid I have been thru a similar situation and trust me it may seem like there is no end in the near future but it will all turn around for you. You got to perservere thru this. Im here for ya if you ever need to vent or talk im a IM away.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
That someone put a toilet seat over your head so the whole world can dump on you?
Most of you know I got laid off last week, now I'm having trouble getting a refinance on my house that we were jsut about to sign and to top it off the increbily ineffective Immigration department lost my wife's green card and their response was
"Our records show we printed out your green card and sent it to you. Since it was not returned we consider this case closed" So now we have to come up with another $600 to pay to file papers we already filed once, we will probably have to go through another interview process and someone else probably has my wife's green card.
So I'm almost in the situation of losing my house, maybe my wife and already my job.
I'm sure there's a country song in there somewhere

It's not a good time to be Cid.

Elcid, sorry to hear about your predicament.

Regarding your wife's green card, it may be wise to see good professional counsel, i.e., a good immigration lawyer. I understand that this is probably not what you would wanrt to hear given your job situation, but in my experience, immigration matters/fubars/miscommunication i.e., them losing your wife's card are too easily escalated or excarcebated unless one is familiar with how to deal with immigration. Common-sense as we know it frequently does not apply. With good counsel you may be able to prevent the matter from getting to the point where you have to file again, or jeopordize her status, etc.

good luck
wemedge
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.
Wem, we had a lawyer, I'm trying to convince her to call him back but this has been going on for almost 3 years now so she's feeling pretty beaten too. Hopefully she'll call the lawyer and everything can be fixed once and for all. It just seems like theses last 3 years everytime we start getting ready to break even something comes and pushes us back down. I feel like the itsy-bitsy spider.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:51 PM

I just started a new job 3 weeks ago after being off work for 6 months.Quit my last job due to a bad relationship and a suicide in my family.I was working for BMW and it was paying really good but everything at once in the same month went to hell in my life. I fell apart for a few months and just wanted to be by myself. Had to sell my car, move in with the parents-all that fun crap. Here in Detroit the automotive industry has been decimated by outsourcing over 100,000 jobs in the last 3 years. All I know is manufacturing and used to be a bench jeweler but the price of metals has gone through the roof and wasnt practical to do solo work anymore. This new job pays 61k a year and I felt totally relieved to get back on my feet again but today I got a real kick in the crotch and not quite sure what to make of it. The company introduces me to a guy today that has come from Mexico to help with current issues. The thing that got me all worked up is the fact that Im showing him my job and how to do it. Just yesterday I recieved an email from their Montreal headquarters to tell me how good of a job Ive been doing. I have spent the last three weeks organizing there quality control system because the previous project director had no organization skills whatsoever. Im getting the impression that since everything is up to par for them, its time to dump me and bring in cheap labor to run what I have already organized. The company predicted a six to nine month window for me to organize this system and didnt realize that it could be done in three weeks. I really do not know what to think. If I stay at my parenst for another month Im afraid I will just lose it and get on a bus and never be heard from again.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 12:18 AM

damn, that really sucks
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 03:16 PM

Hey Cid, hopefully you are due a turnaround for the better soon.Fingers crossed for you.
That opening line made me laugh in a "i know that feeling" kinda way
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 03:25 PM

Jemuniverse, your job situation does sound suspicious. Hopefully it doesn't turn out that way though.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemuniverse777 View Post
I just started a new job 3 weeks ago after being off work for 6 months.Quit my last job due to a bad relationship and a suicide in my family.I was working for BMW and it was paying really good but everything at once in the same month went to hell in my life. I fell apart for a few months and just wanted to be by myself. Had to sell my car, move in with the parents-all that fun crap. Here in Detroit the automotive industry has been decimated by outsourcing over 100,000 jobs in the last 3 years. All I know is manufacturing and used to be a bench jeweler but the price of metals has gone through the roof and wasnt practical to do solo work anymore. This new job pays 61k a year and I felt totally relieved to get back on my feet again but today I got a real kick in the crotch and not quite sure what to make of it. The company introduces me to a guy today that has come from Mexico to help with current issues. The thing that got me all worked up is the fact that Im showing him my job and how to do it. Just yesterday I recieved an email from their Montreal headquarters to tell me how good of a job Ive been doing. I have spent the last three weeks organizing there quality control system because the previous project director had no organization skills whatsoever. Im getting the impression that since everything is up to par for them, its time to dump me and bring in cheap labor to run what I have already organized. The company predicted a six to nine month window for me to organize this system and didnt realize that it could be done in three weeks. I really do not know what to think. If I stay at my parenst for another month Im afraid I will just lose it and get on a bus and never be heard from again.

sorry to hear about all that. sometimes i just want to get on my bike (pedals) and just bike across the country or something.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.WizardNeck View Post
sorry to hear about all that. sometimes i just want to get on my bike (pedals) and just bike across the country or something.
I can relate to that! Hope things turn around soon for you elcid!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 08:28 AM

ELCID!
OMG!
GUESS WHAT??
Okay, my school is downtown, I dont' live there but that's where the school is.ANYWAYS.
There's this hotel right next to it and guess what it's called?
EL CID!!!

I JUST now noticed that.....
The building is old, the windows are boarded up..
But I just thought I'd let you know!

~ Katrina
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 08:32 AM

In the words of the great Sinatra (and later DLR in That's Life)

"Each time that I find myself flat on my face, I pick myself up and get back in the race".

If you can't beg or borrow the $600 post an appeal and I'm sure you'd be able to raise some cash from your fellow jemsiters.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Well, we got the INS charge down to $280, which is good, but I still can't believe we have to pay for their mistake. You would think they would send something like a green card secured instead of just dropping it in a mailbox and not require a signature for it's delivery. I also had a second interview at a job I'm really hoping to get. The guy says he'll let me know next week, but he's been pretty bad about getting back to me this far. We'll see what happens.
Thanks again for all your support

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode