Do effect pedals make a difference? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Do effect pedals make a difference?

I personally love effects. Although I have scaled back recently. The whammy and a robotalk pedal are the "strangest" modulations I own. I have an octave, a couple different overdrive/distortions, analog univibe, delay and a wah pedal. Previously I had an MM4 and FM4, but I've tried to cut down on the digital effects.

I just ordered a compressor, and after reading reviews, began to wonder-how much of your tone is playing/technique, and how much is helped by pedals?

Obviously, there are some players who could play a (insert crap guitar name here), into a (insert crap amp name here) and it would sound good. However, I think it would sound even better with a good rig.

Anyone have thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:31 PM

Re: Do effect pedals make a difference?

Man, this opened a can of worms a few years ago. I am of the opinion that it makes a difference. I think it is 50/50, your fingers and your gear. Eddie would not have gotten that brown sound with Jack White's rig if you know what I mean. But he will still sound pretty much like Eddie (although I would argue that it wouldn't be his "tone", it would be his "style"). The argument is really the definition of 'tone'.

I say if you get some effects (or a new guitar, amp, etc) that inspire you to try something new, or make you want to sit down and play with it for hours, that can not be a bad thing.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:36 PM

Reviews: 18

I disagree. The tone you can get comes from your fingers and your soul. All the other stuff (while important), is not necessary. Search on youtube for a satriani video in which he's playing a crappy rig (amp, guitar and effects processor) and he still sounds like joe.

Jimmy
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:39 PM

Whatver it takes to inspire you. I know I play better if I'm digging the tone. The more I dig it, the more creative I am and the better I play.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:40 PM

Thumbs up Re: Do effect pedals make a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
I disagree. The tone you can get comes from your fingers and your soul.
Jimmy
My soul is angry. So I need lots of distortion to get it out.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:41 PM

I like a decent overdrive and a better than good chorus and I'm set. I have no use for uber gain amps, as I much prefer a clean one I can dirty up to my liking. I just got another RP1, so I'll likely see if I can switch back to that from my current setup of two overdrives and two chorus pedals. So, pedals allow me the freedom to cover all of the bases I like to cover, and that's why I use them. I don't hide sloppy play behind fuzz boxes (well, not anymore anyway!) and a good chorus is a great addition to anyone's bag of tricks.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:43 PM

Dear God it is time for this thread again already?

These discussions always get lost in semantic arguments about the difference between tone and sound etc. Ultimately, player and equipment combine to make the sound you hear coming out of the speaker. How much each contributes is hugely variable.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:52 PM

Of course they make a difference!!! If your playing a clean channel and step on a distortion pedal.....surely everyone can hear the difference!! If not, pay your doctor a visit

Whether or not you can make nice noises with those sounds is another matter altogether They make a difference to the sound...but not to your own ability!! That takes a bit more effort than plugging in a pedal

So....how long 'til this gets ugly and locked
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
Dear God it is time for this thread again already?

These discussions always get lost in semantic arguments about the difference between tone and sound etc.
I didn't want to cause problems!

I am leaning with the few who say pedals can inspire you. Then again, would the others argue the inspiration you feel is making you play better not the sound the pedal is making...
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 03:49 PM

So the other day I put my DD7 on the Hold setting, and bust out a very simple rhythm, and let it repeat endlessly. I then played over that rhythm with some lead stuff that I was really digging. did that for about an hour. Kicking on a Phase 90 at times and using a wah with some controlled bends. It was very addicting and a lot of fun. So yeah, I definitely think that effects can have an inspirational aspect to them.

But on different days, a simple clean tone can do the same.

I've been on the same quest (as I'm sure many here have) buying up effects, then ditching them all, then adding new ones one by one in search of that ever elusive 'perfect tone". I went from pedals to a rack multiprocessor, to nothing, and am currently adding back analog pedals.

It's all part of the journey. Enjoy the ride.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Banned

If you play covers, you may NEED pedals to cover particular songs accurately. But, it seems all that delay, verb and chorus we sometimes like at bedroom levels is almost useless live. Verb does bury your guitar in the mix. Don't use it live. Delay can bury it and will muddy it if used incorrectly, use it sparingly. Chorus is nice for clean if it's sparkly. Tone that doesn't lend itself to bedroom playing can work perfectly in a live band situation.

At least that's been my experience over the many years.

A line 6 that you can rip and shred on at home wont even show up in the mix live. A Triple Rectifier that is unplayable in your bedroom will sound huge and in your face in a live mix.

Pedals are fun, I use a compressor almost ALL the time. And I prefer gain pedals to gain channels most the time.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 04:57 PM

Here's the video one of you was refering to : http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v5e1TTwts&fmt=18 , I guess it still sounds like Satch even on that 400 dollar rig. Anyhow better than whatever I could come up with with better gear. Doesn't hold him back from using high end gear and loads of pedals live and in the studio and still sound like Satch.

I personnaly think effects are great (especially the satchurator :P ) but obvisously it is best to first develop good technique and more importantly one's style and tone, and then use effects to 'smoothen' out the tone we hear in our head. Alot of beginners to intermediate players (and I guess I am still very much part of the second group) cover up their flaws or lack of own personality in a "tone storm' provided by loads of pedals and processing, which not only doesn't help improve but might also actually hinder you develop your own style, when the colour of the effects you use make you disappear in the sound ...

At Paul Gilbert's VIP we were all jamming, him included, straight through a Marshall JVM. he had zero effects, an Ibanez he semi-hollow he bought on **** for 1700 dollars and well, sounded like him (... amazing). Didn't prevent him from using half a dozen pedals later on throught his gig, but still sounded like himself.

Not sure if I am clear in what I am trying to say lol !
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
Whatver it takes to inspire you. I know I play better if I'm digging the tone. The more I dig it, the more creative I am and the better I play.
Likewise.
When I found, that a tube screamer AND thrash metal used simultaneously could allow me to sound cooler (at first it made me sloppier) there was no turning back! But, on a regular basis, I only use a couple of basic effects - delay, wahwah etc. Equalizer is next on the menu, but... I almost forgot - noise gate! A good one is "a must".

Last edited by Gary Qwa; 12-01-2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: typo. And now it's gone...
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 06:43 PM

It makes a difference in that when you have different effects you come up with different ideas for songs and sounds.

But, playing wise I can't see it making a difference. If you play well, then you play well. Going through a rig as expensive as Petrucci's isn't gonna make you play like a guitar god.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:11 PM

Only on the internet can one site have people argue to the death that something like fretboard wood effects sound in the same place that someone would say that your fingers and soul are responsible for the sound.

Tags
effects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode