Do you have to like the guys you play with? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Red face Do you have to like the guys you play with?

I often run across guys who tell me they're in music for "fun", or "to have fun". And while they may think they take it seriously, I always disagree...

I will happily play any song, of any genre, by any artist at any time with musicians I absolutely can't stand, as long as I'm getting paid. But I always run across the guys who have to like the music and musicians they play with, and for me I just have to be able to make good music with them...

I am in no way the best musician out there, in fact due to my eccentricities, I am probably quite flawed, however I always show up on time for gigs, having learned the songs, never drink when I play, no longer use drugs, keep any mistakes to a minimum to where the audience would never know, and I am easy to get along with because I accept people for who they are, and not what I want them to be, or wish I was.

I never learned how to do anything like normal guys do. When everyone else was taking wood shop, auto shop, or metal shop, I was off playing guitar. I dropped out of college, when my band had gotten signed. Subsequently I was involved in 2 different development deals. Most of the musicians in these bands weren't very close, and some of us actually quite disliked each other, but when we got in a room together we were magic. The amount of work that goes into writing/playing/promoting/gigging at that level (and it wasn't even that high of a level in comparison) was extremely intense, and I developed a distaste for playing for fun! It became a job to me, and yes, one that I loved. I did enjoy creating music, but it was my job to do so...Obviously I wasn't very good at it or I'd be really famous right?

So I find myself now not having any emotional attachment to the musicians I play with, as long as they're doing the right job for the situation, I'm happy! I don't want to hang out, and have a few drinks, or mingle with families. I just want to put in my time, and go home...

My question is: Do you have to like the guys you play with or can you separate the emotional from the business. After all, it is a business, not a friendness right?

Just curious if it's just me being the @sshole my wife says I am or not...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Do you have to like the guys you play with?

1- I'd prefer playing with guys and music I like.

2- If money comes in I'm with you,I could play EVEN with Slash and Axel screaming in my ears.

The difference between being pro(professional) and a hobby player is professional musicians pay their bills playing while hobby players have other jobs to pay their bills.
I often see hobby players calling pro musicians by SNOBS,that's a dumb mistake cause pro have nothing to do with quality or technique,you could be a pro like Oasis guys but still suck at guitar.
Pro(professional) = musicians who pay their bills playing.

So if to pay my bills I'd have to play with people or music I don't like,I'd do it faster as a bullet cause money doesn't fall from the skies BUT if I was a hobby player and playing wasn't about paying my bills,I'd never play with Slash and Axel LOL

So far I see myself as a really lucky player cause all my bandmates from my cover bands are like brothers.We're a long time together so it's like a marriage but of course all the times we had to find a new member we tried to keep it as a brotherhood,just like any relationship there'll be always fightings but we never lose respect for each others
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Reviews: 57

I enjoy playing, and can usually make any situation work so long as everyone is courteous and professional about it, and can perform well enough. I don't have to "like" the music or the people, I get off on playing so that's enough for me.

I do know the type you're referring to though. I have a few friends like that. They will rip on me for playing in a cover band, or for doing some "pop" songs and the like. They will only play original music and think cover bands or covering songs is the work of the devil. Like we're ripping off someone else. At the end of the day though, I get to play a lot more then they do, and paid to do it usually. Sorry friends, most people do not want to hear death metal, or shred.

I can still do original material or certain types of music I like in different settings. The all or nothing mentality is pointless.

You sound like exactly the kind of guy I'd want to play with. Know your material, show up on time, keep it professional and do the job well. I'd take the over 100 guys who are amazing players but total flakes.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 03:23 PM

Reviews: 10

I totally understand and appreciate the fact that if you're relying on playing music to pay your bills then you may have to play with people you don't necessarily like or want to hang out with after - it's no different in any job - sometimes you have to work with or for people that you don't necessarilty like but if that's what it takes to get the job done then so be it.

With that said, I believe that regardless of whether you play for money or not, I think you will make better music with people that you connect with naturally...they call that synergy. that doesn't mean that you will make better music with less talented people just because you like them - but I believe that if you take 2 groups of musicians of equal caliber and one group gets along and connects well and the other group doesn't then I believe the group that gets along and connects well will make better music. Chemistry is a part of making music...just my 2 cents...
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Red face Re: Do you have to like the guys you play with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
With that said, I believe that regardless of whether you play for money or not, I think you will make better music with people that you connect with naturally...they call that synergy. that doesn't mean that you will make better music with less talented people just because you like them - but I believe that if you take 2 groups of musicians of equal caliber and one group gets along and connects well and the other group doesn't then I believe the group that gets along and connects well will make better music. Chemistry is a part of making music...just my 2 cents...
And see, I agree with this...

I do love playing with people I like, who wouldn't? It's just not a prerequisite...

Currently I play with some real nice guys. I still don't like to hang out with them though, not because of them, just that I prefer the time spent away from my family to be either making money, or the pursuit of it...

We had another guitarist I know from playing with, schedule a tryout, and he was just full of so much negativity! Adamant about not playing certain songs, not wanting to gig too often, and just wanting to have a "fun" time...He wound up canceling on us and the reason was that he had problems with other musicians I know and occasionally sit in with to make $$$
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
Chemistry to make your own (original) music = YES
But I don't need chemistry to play covers cause we are not creating, I only need musicians who can play our set list,they come already knowing what they have to play.
The only chemistry I want is come sober and knowing your part but of course if somebody has a personality that makes the whole band "angry" we'd have to work on it.

Creating original music = 100% about chemistry and personal ideas.
Covers = 100% about doing your part.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 06:12 PM

I can't even do the job I'm paid to do if I don't like the guys I'm working with.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I can't even do the job I'm paid to do if I don't like the guys I'm working with.
+1 not doing everything for money.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 07:30 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
no doubt - it sure makes things alot harder...
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 PM

Reviews: 25

Im just happy to plug my amp in and play at a volume louder then 2 Obviously you wouldnt sit in a room with people you hate.

What if the band was paying you to play, but they were all nazi skin heads, would you still play ? not me
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
What if the band was paying you to play, but they were all nazi skin heads, would you still play ?
I'd play some Nu-Metal with Nazi skin heads, take my $$$, go to my KKK banquet play some country and take my $$$, stop out at the Black Panther fundraiser, funk out with my brothers for a set and collect my $$$, then hit my Muslim brothers for a round of Cat Stevens covers at the Islamic Songwriters convention, collect my $$$, and go home to my wife and laugh all the way to the bank the next day...Just saying!! I mean if there have to be these groups in the world, I prefer to get paid!

DISCLAIMER*This in no way is meant in a malicious manner and anyone offended, I apologize for ahead of time. These groups were not singled out for any other reason than for comedic effect! Thank you...DT666
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:09 PM

Well maybe if your family had been killed by the nazis, you might not want to be paid to further there causes.. I dont need the money that bad...

p.s. I was not offended by your comments, just showing my side.

Cheers !!
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Well maybe if your family had been killed by the nazis, you might not want to be paid to further there causes.. I dont need the money that bad...

p.s. I was not offended by your comments, just showing my side.

Cheers !!
Very true! And they were horrible, but nazi skin heads are usually hate filled young men with no intelligence beyond anger! So I truly meant no disrespect to anyone...I'd also of course play a Bat Mitzvah or a briss!
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Banned

Playing with people I don't like/care is really different than playing with nazis.
For real I don't see nazis as humans so I'd never play with them.
BIG difference between someone you don't like to the crappest people on earth.
I thought we were talking about normal people and not killers,rapers,nazis,psychos etc.
Some guys have certain behaviours I don't aprove like cheating on their gfs/wives etc but as those behaviours don't affect my life cause they're not at the stage,I can tolerate them.
Hey who in the world works ONLY with people he loves?
Probably.................nobody.
Even when you love somebody you cannot agreed to everything that person do or think.
But seriously comparing nazis to someone you don't like is the same as comparing an annoying neighbour who listen to Bieber at high volumes to ................Hitler !
Different worlds.

I have a big tolerance for differences as long they don't hurt myself or other people.
And playing as a job only means I have to stay with those guys for about 1 hour at the stage where we almost don't speak to each others SO is really easier tolerating someone you don't like for 1 hour than an 8 hours dayjob.
What's worse, having to tolerate someone you don't like or don't have money to pay your bills or buy food/medicine for your family?
Well I guess the answer is obvious.

For a hobby player is easy to say I'll not play with someone I don't like but for a pro musician who needs to play to make money...............different story

How many guys here in Jemsite would leave their jobs only because they don't like someone?
Would you throw your job or career in the trash because your boss or co-worker is annoying to you?
Seriously only because you don't like someone?
Or you're rich or you're crazy.
That's not real life.

Last edited by 6fingers; 03-14-2011 at 09:50 PM.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:38 PM

Job satisfaction is rated higher then money.. I have quit countless jobs in the past for just that reason, and its always been the best choice... now I am happy doing what im doing and im glad i chose being happy over making money. Because now im happy and making money...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode