Does anyone own a Dodge Ram Diesel? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Does anyone own a Dodge Ram Diesel?

I have the 2004 1500 Hemi. It's a speedy truck, but not the best for pulling a trailer. I pull a trailer 90% of the time. I'm getting ready to buy a friends 2005 2500 diesel, with half the miles I have on my truck. I put 71000 on my truck in 2 1/2 years, which is kind a lot. So the long life, heavier duty unit seem like a better choice. I am only considering this particular truck at the moment. I know that the Duramax is a great truck, but I'm not really interested in Chevy.....at all.

So, anyone own one of these bad boys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 07:26 PM

Re: Does anyone own a Dodge Ram Diesel?

My brother has a diesel F350 and the thing wont die. He has well over 150K on it, and is a construction worker, so the thing has never been babied.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 07:39 PM

I have been a Mechanic in the Transmission Field for 20yrs. I hold certifications from eight organizations. The one thing I tell everyone is to religiously maintain their vehicles. The quicky Lubes are decent enough places but for transmission go to a Trans shop and so on. Each manufacture of autos has their “issues” but nice out of ten times if you take care of your ride it will take care of you.

When towing in a truck with overdrive Trans turn overdrive off until your on a long level road. If your going up mountains or in town stop and go keep it off. Every third fuel fill up do a good check of your fluids. Use mindful common sense and you should have a long and happy life with your ride.

FYI, mechanics HATE air fresheners . I just love getting in a car with a dozen little stinking trees hanging in it.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
FYI, mechanics HATE air fresheners . I just love getting in a car with a dozen little stinking trees hanging in it.
What's worse the little trees or eggfarts?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
What's worse the little trees or eggfarts?
Eggfarts disapate quickly most times. F those dang trees.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:06 AM

i hung one of those trees in my humvee in afghanland, the afghan's thought it was great ( one of the only things that smelled decent in the whole country )
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:36 AM

I also have a 2004 1500 Hemi Ram and love it (especially the sound when you kick it down to pass someone-that V8 rumble just can't be beat), but you're right about having a diesel for towing. The gas engines just don't have the lugging power that a diesel does, especially climbing hills. The heavier chassis and firmer suspension of the 2500 and 3500 is nice when you have a loaded trailer behind you.

My good friend owns a Dodge dealership with a large number of their truck sales being deisels to farmers and ranchers (many of whom usually don't maintain their trucks very well). In all the years of working on the Cummins, they have only to do a complete teardown a handful of times. The transmissions also seem to be quite solid. I guess if they have one complaint about the Cummins (prior to the 2007) is they seem to be quite a bit noisier that the Fords and Chevs. They seem to have rectified this in the 2007s.

My dad runs a 2006 Ford F250 powerstroke for his farming operation and his lumberyard. He routinely pulls a 30' 5th wheel flatdeck loaded with building materials and has had no issues with his truck although I have read publications that the powerstrokes did have a higher warranty work rate than Cummins and Duramax.

Another friend of mine just got back from a snowmobile trip into the Rocky Mountains with 4 snowmobiles on a trailer (averaging probably 550 lbs each plus the trailer) behind his 2006 Duramax, and he doesn't think the transmission downshifted once, even on the 10% inclines you encounter in the mountains.

Although Dodge is closest to my heart, I don't think that you will make a mistake buying any one of the 3 North American diesels. You can usually put a lot more miles on a diesel, and they usually maintain a higher resale value compared to gasoline trucks.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunlew View Post
i hung one of those trees in my humvee in afghanland, the afghan's thought it was great ( one of the only things that smelled decent in the whole country )
Well anyone one who fights for the freedom I enjoy can have anything in their ride they wish.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Well anyone one who fights for the freedom I enjoy can have anything in their ride they wish.
I wish that was true, i kept asking for a rockin sound system in there, got turned down everytime. Or the idea i had of putting subs and spinners ( aghan pimp my ride ) on the humvee, that got shot down as well.....
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunlew View Post
I wish that was true, i kept asking for a rockin sound system in there, got turned down everytime. Or the idea i had of putting subs and spinners ( aghan pimp my ride ) on the humvee, that got shot down as well.....
Hehe lol
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 12:29 PM

darin, I have an '05 Hemi. I use an edge power programmer, a K&N cold air kit, and a boerla exahust kit on my truck. I pull my 28' 9000lb. trailer like it is an aluminum fishing boat.

The power upgrades will be cheaper than a new truck, plus save you on registration every year.

PS, I got my stuff off of Jegs.com
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Does anyone own a Dodge Ram Diesel?

semi trucks and trains and buses use deisels for a reason. not only is the torque tremendously higher, but they are far more efficient. my buddy got 28mpg in his cummins 3500 on the highway with cruis control on. the brake, axles and susp are all heavier duty on the 3500/2500 over the 1500. that's reason enough for me to upgrade my truck, going to deisel is also an effeciency choice as well as torque choice. the 345hp in the Ram is like sports car HP. all the HP with out all the torque. I think the hemi is aroun 350 ft/lbs while the cummins is 600 ft/lbs (about). and stump pulling torque is really what I'm after. we also have a 2 horse trailer.

thanks for all your input.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 02:10 PM

Reviews: 1

Not NO but Hell NO!!!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 02:11 PM

IH is my preference
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 02:12 PM

Power Stroke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

are diesel guitar pickups any good?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode