Does This Happen to you?? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Does This Happen to you??

I notice when i play the guitar, or when i play tennis for a while and then don't play it for a few days or even a week, i seem to be able to play just that little bit better like, i can chage chords faster or even get a riff that i thought i could never get, just simple things. So does this happen to anyone else?, leave something and when you get back to it your slightly better at it or you can do something that you thought you'd never be able to get the hang of. This doesn't have to apply just for the guitar it can be anything. Any comments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 07:58 AM

Re: Does This Happen to you??

i'm the opposite, i have recently started making sure i play guitar for atleast 2 hours a day and i'm noticing i'm getting alot better than when i used to only play guitar at practise and gigs.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 08:04 AM

Yeah it happens to me with a lot of things. Strangely enough, snooker is a top one

When I don't play for a week or so and I pick my guitar up, my fingers feel much more... umm.. co-ordinated? that's probably the best word.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 11:35 AM

When i stay away from Tennis for a week, my timing goes out the window
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 06:13 PM

When I dont play guitar for a week, my fingers get stiff. It takes about 1 hour of practising before they get back to normal.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 10:38 PM

Happens to me too, I rest for a few days and everything is just perfect, maybe when we practise too much our brains get tired and all.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 10:55 PM

Our brains remember long term better than short term.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 10:58 PM

Which means?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 11:03 PM

There was a thing on TV before where they tested peoples long and short term memories and the people remembered things better after a long period of time. So if you're learning a song and keep forgetting bits as you're trying to play it, you'll probably remember it better after a few days.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:30 AM

ive always notice that you can struggle with something for hours and wait a few days and it soaks in and is easy again...regular breaks ive found are good for that and keeping your creativity fresh
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 04:00 PM

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. Like if I'm having a problem with a song. I'll give it two days and it's right as rain!

Reece
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 04:21 PM

I'm the same too. I try to play as little as possible before a gig as I feel fresher, more relaxed and more energetic with my playing if I'm not "all played out".
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 04:35 AM

Talking Re: Does This Happen to you??

Yup yu yup, all the time!!!>

it's called Recovery,well, at least it is for me!!!

i play all the time professionally, and my hands get pretty beat w/ all the hours i put in, so before a "Big" show, i'll usually take a day or 2 off, if possible, to let the muscles in my hands recover!!!

OH, and to avoid too much fatigue, i actually do most of my "practicing" in my head!!!>
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 04:48 AM

I have had this happen a lot, where I improve after a hiatus. My running improves 10 fold after some time off. The key for me is not too much time off, especially with the guitar. If I go more than a few days, I do play better, but I forget the songs that I have memorized and have to relearn them.

With the guitar, I will struggle with a certain technique for a while, like pull-offs, and then after a little break I do it just like I'm breathing. Maybe thinking about things too hard is a self-defeating road block.

BTW-I'm having a hard time pulling-off and not catching the string below. Can anyone give me any tips on how to avoid this. Pulling off the bottom string is obviously not a problem.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 05:35 AM

Talking Re: Does This Happen to you??

Yo,Guitar Chick!!!
sounds like You need to work on Yer string muting!!! if i'm doing pulloffs to open strings, i'll mute the unwanted strings w/ the fingers of my right(picking) hand!!! if i'm doing pulloffs to non open strings(scales or arpeggios) then i use a combination of palm muting, left hand muting,and right hand finger muting, whichever seems natural at the time!!!

OR, You might try a guitar w/ a wider neck!!!

the electric guitars that i play have the string spacing of a classical guitar!!!
this gives the fingers more room so Ya don't cramp up so much, and also helps me to avoid unwanted muting fr my stubby lil paws!!!>

Tags
electric guitar , palm muting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

what happen to musoland
what happen with guitarbt?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode