to dog owners; housetraining - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

to dog owners; housetraining help?

for those of you who remember how you did it.....a little help?

we have a 6 month old male cairn terrier who has been neutered. he's a great playful guy but this potty training is killing me. i crate trained the first one, and she is now 2.5 years old. she is great and asks me to go out by head butting my leg or scratching my back or pulling the covers off me in the morning! she is great and she just got it one day.

we have this other guy in the kitchen with the wee wee pads and he hits them most of the time and has been waiting till the morning to go outside (coincidence?) when we wake up to take the both of them out. we're on the 3rd story apartment.

i tried a few things with the other dog and one of them was taking her out every hour every day! that was 12 times a day easily. right now my job doesn't warrant that.

anyway, what we are doing now is taking him out to go and when not doing that, leaving him in the kitchen and he goes pee on the pads and immediately goes to the gate as if to say DADDY I DID BY BIZ NOW LET ME OUT TO PLAY! an hour later i put him in the kitchen again and he runs right to the pad, pee's and gets to the gate....hey i just went....let me out!

but if he is out of the kitchen and has to go, there is pee on the floor most of the time if we don't put him back in the kitchen.

anyway, any thoughts on this? i need to figure out how to bridge that gap. taking the pads outside does nothing. he's too busy playing or investigating. i wasn't going to post but i am at the end of my rope. he just doesn't seem to "get it." i have done many hours of researching. yes we both work 8 hours a day and he is in the kitchen during that time. i'm relying on mother nature to help out by waiting till his bladder is fully-developed....couple months more.

Last edited by shredmaster; 05-25-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 05:40 PM

Re: to dog owners; housetraining

couple of ideas:

crate training. as a general rule, a dog will not do it's business where it sleeps. get a crate which is roughly the size of your dog so that it doesn't have the option of soiling one end and then sleeping at the other. straight after eating or drinking, take your dog outside to where you want it to go. if it doesn't respond, take it inside and put it in it's crate for 30 minutes. then try again. it's a fairly effective method, and has the benefit of acclimatising your dog to periods in the crate when you go out, etc.

also, a dog's ability to hold it's bladder increases with age. i find my 110 pound malamute can go 8 hours without peeing now at 2 years of age. he was crate trained, but unfortunately some of his training is being lost as a result of his anti-seizure medication.

in happier days: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ow171204_4.jpg
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the response! gorgeous dog.

we tried crate training with him and he howls like crazy when in it....regardless if it's a minute or an hour....he never stops. we are also gone 8 hours a day and i wouldn't and you shouldn't cage an animal for more than 3 hours at a time.

i was able to cage train with the female since i worked 3rd shift 2 miles from home. i would come home for dinner at 4am.

our girl who is 2.5 years old has the run of the place and can hold it for 12 hours if she has to. that is amazing.

i'm hoping that he will just GET IT one of these days. in the meantime we take him outside as much as we can and keep him in the kitchen.

i fully understand the entire part of dogs will not soil where they eat and sleep but it just won't work for him.

anyone with paper training success? and how long did it take, realizing all dogs are different.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 06:15 PM

I've had dogs for than 20 years now. The best way for them to learn not to do their business (IMHO) is to tell them in a firm loud (partly loud) voice that what did is wrong (not hitting or anything). Once they recognise that voice they will know what they did was wrong, at that point they usually figure rest out by themselves. There are of course cases where this doesn't appply like our last dog (greenland sledgedog). It took 1 ˝ years for he to understand that see should not do her business inside. She had a system the beginning: play outside, pee inside . She was a dog with personality, if we didn't acknowledge that she needed to go outside, she would just do her business inside, didn't care at all.

Regards

André

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 05:27 AM

Just a quick one, Our pup (yeah i know i kept one) is toilet trained, mum taught him much, but we still have to "ask" if he needs wee etc. I'd quickly suggest putting the "pee pads?" we use newspaper Outside when he's eaten/drunk and then praise him when he goes outside.

Essentially, dogs respond to praise and learn more quickly, IF you must punish your pup, firm loud(ish) voice to let him/her know that the pup is in the wrong. Then take away any toys. Let the dog know YOUR top dog, And won't tolerate any naughtiness.

Worked with all our pets so far

Rob
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
Just a quick one, Our pup (yeah i know i kept one) is toilet trained, mum taught him much, but we still have to "ask" if he needs wee etc. I'd quickly suggest putting the "pee pads?" we use newspaper Outside when he's eaten/drunk and then praise him when he goes outside.

Essentially, dogs respond to praise and learn more quickly, IF you must punish your pup, firm loud(ish) voice to let him/her know that the pup is in the wrong. Then take away any toys. Let the dog know YOUR top dog, And won't tolerate any naughtiness.

Rob
BINGO!!!

Regards

André

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 09:02 AM

this is why i have cats
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy43
this is why i have cats
Yea, cats just go out and crap in everyone elses gardens
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK

Rob
I have to agree with all of this. And you should loose the "pee pads". You are just teaching the pooch to piss inside by still using them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode