Donations humbly requested - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Donations humbly requested

To all my guitar playing brothers and sisters. This topic may be skirting the "no guitar talk" for this forum, if so maybe Admin will move it someplace more suitable.

I am seeking donations to aid in getting a new guitar to help Jeff Bauman the young man who lost both his legs in the Boston Marathon bombing I know all of you know how important our guitars are to us. It is an extension to who we are and sometimes our voices in anguish. I know personally how important my guitar was in my recovery when I suffered a brain injury many years back. I also know as guitar players we don't have enough money to buy the guitars we want, but perhaps collectively we can help one of us get ONE.

While he already has a guitar, one like this as a gift from those who care will always have a special place, especially if it helps to get through the darker days Jeff has lying ahead.

Please consider donating $5 or more if you can spare it. We all know the healing power of friends, music, and 5 strings or more! Thanks for your consideration!

http://www.gofundme.com/2maud4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 03:49 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: Donations humbly requested

What kind of guitar you looking to get?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 04:15 PM

What about doing a charity custom build, where many of us can donate parts? A few of these have been done here on Jemsite...
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfssdude View Post
What about doing a charity custom build, where many of us can donate parts? A few of these have been done here on Jemsite...
This would be way cooler imo.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 PM

Reviews: 18

How about if we send him 6fingers' guitar? He doesn't deserve it anyway

Jimmy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 04:29 PM

We've got some great luthiers and swirlers on here. If the OP knows the victim personally, we might even be able to do a build more or less to their "dream guitar" specs?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 04:31 PM

I'd be in for a charity build. I have so many (Ibanez) spare and used parts lying around...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 04:56 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
I'd be in for a charity build. I have so many (Ibanez) spare and used parts lying around...
If the OP is into it...... I'm in!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

That is really generous guys. Here is the story, I do not know Jeff personally, I was moved by his story and when I found out he played guitar I was moved to try and raise money for a guitar. I am a huge Ibanez fan (have and have owned many) my next guitar I thought would be a Les Paul so my original thought was an LP. But I also posted in the donation site whatever guitar he liked best.
I am in touch with Jeffs people so I could find out. Right now he's still in the hospital fighting, so probably not the best time to ask! But I will, because frankly I think a community like this donating parts and some of the luthiers donating skills means a lot!!!
Seriously as I write this I realize how much more touching this is. So I shall work on this. Bless all of ya's! Guitar players rule!!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 05:09 PM

I hate to sound negative, but is this a scam?

Just saying that there is an official support page for this guy with an already established fund.

https://www.facebook.com/supportjeffandfamily?fref=ts
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Takin a ride, I do understand your apprehension. I can assure you however this is no scam. I started the fund myself this past Tuesday I think. While not a serial poster, I have been part of this community for a few years.
I had wished that I had enough money that I could help these people. Then I read about Jeff playing guitar and it hit me that maybe I could use one of those crowdfunding sites to help. there are several sites and people taking donations for Jeff. In this case I thought getting him a guitar, even if he already had one (I mean c'mon, which of us only has one guitar?!?) would be a great way to show support, especially those days during his recovery when a guitar could really help. I think you all know what I mean about that! So like I said this is no scam. Feel free to contact me if you would like.
Thanks again, Adam

By the way I contacted the people who started that site you linked and got their blessing on my fundraising attempt. Feel free to ask them. Thanks again.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

After I posted this reply I went to my FB page and had gotten this message from the aforementioned FB link:
"don't give up on the guitar idea! i think it's great! he's already getting gifts and stuff so don't be shy I'm sure he'll appreciate any guitar that came from people who cared about him. "

Just sayin....
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 09:40 PM

Have we figured out what kind of guitar the dude even likes yet? I
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 AM

I love the idea and, when the time comes, I'll contribute however I can!

But I have to add, there are other people that got hurt. And I believe one child that died.

I don't know how well I feel about just singleing one guy out. Especially one who "has already recieved many gifts". But I also know that we can't help everyone and this DOES hit a bit closer to home (and we have a great idea to help because of it).

I dunno. I guess I'm torn. But, as I said, I'll help regardless.

Tags
boston marathon , injury , recovery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode