Down the toliet with being "Politically Correct" - Page 2 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:36 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Down the toliet with being "Politically Correct"

The human race's technology has advanced but we have not evolved to cope with it. We've become smarter but not wiser. Our brains are getting any bigger but our egos are. We think we're so great but we're not better than those that came before us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:36 PM

I totally agree. The world is a bass-ackwards place...

Somehow, I think this whole "I don't want to offend anybody" attitude carries onto guitar playing. No one (besides the select few whom we idolize around here - Gilbert, Lane, ect) wants to play anything remotely loud or flashy anymore. I think that contributes to the fact that we don't see as many people playing through a wall of Marshall stacks, etc. Everyone is scared of "offending" one another. Granted, I don't ALWAYs want to see balls to the wall hard rock, but quite frankly, I'm getting sick of all these "tone" people who insist playing with no effects or distortion through a tiny little combo about 6" x 6" big...

"Ooooh, the tone, oooh the tone, oooooh the tone, he plays with so much feel, ooooh the tone...the tone....he only uses Strats through little combos, so his tone must be good, oooh the tone..."

^That's what it's like, for the most part, here in Memphis. I don't know about the rest of you, but it gets damn annoying.

Last edited by waylay00; 03-15-2007 at 10:41 PM.
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:43 PM

The Merry Christmas Happy Holidays debate is just plain stupid.
Either way people are just being nice, to get offended because they weren't nice int he way you wanted is dumb. Not everyone celebrates Christmas and even if you do Christmas and NEw Years are both holidays that occur within a week of each other. If being wished happy holidays offends you, my advice would be to get bent. December 25 has nothing to do with the birth of Chirst, it was the day chosen because there were already 2 pagan holiday celebrated then.

From allabout jesus.org

There is no evidence for this date. So then, who decided that Jesus' birth would be celebrated on that date? The early Christian church did not celebrate Jesus' birth. It wasn't until A.D. 440 that the church officially proclaimed December 25 as the birth of Christ. This was not based on any religious evidence but on a pagan feast. Saturnalia was a tradition inherited by the Roman pagans from an earlier Babylonian priesthood. December 25 was used as a celebration of the birthday of the sun god. It was observed near the winter solstice
post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
Since not every celebrates the Christian holiday, just say "Happy Holidays". That covers you for Christmas, Kwanza, Hanukkah and even Festivus.

Thank you for the compliment JJemmer777.
Your welcome and you've just proven more of my point with your above statement.

I don't care if anyone says "Happy Hanukkah" "Kwanza" "Festivus" "Yule" or whatever.

I DON'T CARE! Say it freely! More power to ya

But don't get all butt-hurt when someone calls the "said" holiday what it's most commonly been referred here over most of the span of the existance of this country
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
The Merry Christmas Happy Holidays debate is just plain stupid.
Either way people are just being nice, to get offended because they weren't nice int he way you wanted is dumb. Not everyone celebrates Christmas and even if you do Christmas and NEw Years are both holidays that occur within a week of each other. If being wished happy holidays offends you, my advice would be to get bent. December 25 has nothing to do with the birth of Chirst, it was the day chosen because there were already 2 pagan holiday celebrated then.

From allabout jesus.org

There is no evidence for this date. So then, who decided that Jesus' birth would be celebrated on that date? The early Christian church did not celebrate Jesus' birth. It wasn't until A.D. 440 that the church officially proclaimed December 25 as the birth of Christ. This was not based on any religious evidence but on a pagan feast. Saturnalia was a tradition inherited by the Roman pagans from an earlier Babylonian priesthood. December 25 was used as a celebration of the birthday of the sun god. It was observed near the winter solstice
However, the whole debate was started when a bunch of non-Christians were offended when schools referred to the two week holiday as the "Christmas" holiday.

So, technically, they should be the ones who should get bent, since they are the ones complaining. I could care less what someone says.
post #21 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:56 PM

Technically everyone should get bent, it's nothing worth getting worked up over, but it's that kind of complaining from both sides that give the whole PC thing any kind of momentum. The non Christians dont want it said for whatever stupid reason, then the Christians start crying about "The War on Christianity" when someone chooses not to say Merry Christmas.
The moral of the story is everyone is a ****er.
post #22 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
However, the whole debate was started when a bunch of non-Christians were offended when schools referred to the two week holiday as the "Christmas" holiday.
I thought discussion of religoin wasn't allowed on this site.
post #23 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

**THIS IS NOT A RELIGIOUS DEBATE**

Sorry, I shouldn't have used merry christmas as an example

My bad! (wow)

I think "toneboy" has hit the nail on the head with a lot of his statements

Nice to know that I'm not alone in my feelings toward the general "state of humanity" these days.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed....or cares????
post #24 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 11:27 PM

I did not intend to start a religious debate, it's just a matter of fact. It wouldn't have mattered if it were Islam, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Buddhism, Atheism, etc, etc

But with that said, it's better to not even remotely go near religion.
post #25 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 11:34 PM

Oh yeah, I notice this shiz all the time.

My neighbor's kid just started soccer, she's 8 years old. He tells me the league doesn't recognize "winners or losers". I guess some poor kids' "feelings" might get hurt if he loses the game.

WHAT THE FUGG!!!!?????

Society has gone soft and I think it sucks ass. I lost when I was a kid, and I won too. What the hell are we teaching these kids?
post #26 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Just wondering if anybody else has noticed this or am I just delusional???????
You certainly aren't delusional -- at least on this topic

People are becoming aggravatingly sensitive and get offended at the drop of that hat. We really should make an effort to take what's said in the spirit of what is said. For example, as the "Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays" debate has already popped up, why should anyone get offended if someone says "merry Christmas" or "happy Channakuh (sp?)"? Let's face it, when someone says "merry Christmas" or any other similar sentiment, are they trying to offend you? No! They're wishing you well. Accept it and move on!
post #27 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 11:44 PM

Here's one for you... (added not for the religious connotation, but as another example of ridiculous back-bending to accomodate something that even the accomodated recognize as ridiculous).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nislam116.xml
post #28 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111 View Post
You certainly aren't delusional -- at least on this topic
Well thanks.........I think

And I hear ya, Mau, what the hell is the point of playing a game if you can't win or lose???

Again - PLEASE, this ISN'T about religion! It has nothing to do with it. It's about the joke known as society and the whiney little programmed closed minds that dwell within it's parameters

Guess it didn't help that Political is in the title and I mentioned Merry Christmas

My bad
post #29 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 12:37 AM

I am a wicked smart ass and I like to think I have a pretty good sense of humor, however it gets harder to enjoy it because so many are just way to uptight about everything. I am the father of two daughters (6 and 8 ), and as I meet more and more of the parents of my daughters school mates, I am convinced the whole world has gone mad.

**** emí if they canít take a joke.
post #30 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
I did not intend to start a religious debate . . .
Rest of post proceeds to make it a religious debate, which I'd like to respond to, but cannot, as the rules of the board forbid it.
(For the record, I don't like those rules, but I abide by them.)

Tags
guitar playing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode