Down the toliet with being "Politically Correct" - Page 4 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 07:41 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Down the toliet with being "Politically Correct"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
There used to be a time in which you could talk to a complete stranger on the street and hold a normal conversation. What ever happened to those people? Why has society become this way?
Those people still exist but we're being constantly told by the fear mongering media that there is someone or something that will hurt us. We've started to think that nearly everyone we pass on the street is going to attack us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 07:46 AM

I am a muslim. Seeing the festive C-word made me cry. Then someone mentioned pigs!!!!! I was so offended, seriously. It's wrong for me to recognise their existence. As far as my children are concerned, pigs don't exist.

Seriously, does that sound like something a real person would EVER say!?!?!
post #48 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 07:58 AM

Reviews: 18

I don't know Danny but, pigs are animals just like lambs or chickens. Perhaps there may be an alternative to teaching your children about them. Not necessarily because people eat them but, because they are a part of this world and there's nothing you or anyone can really do to deny their existence.

May I ask why the Christmas celebration made you cry?

I have some muslim friends whom I went to high school with but, they never had a problem wishing me a merry christmas and vice versa. Unfortunately, there are many many people in the world with many religions. Perhaps if we, as a species, worried less about what their religion was and worried more about being in harmony, this world would be a better place.

Jimmy
post #49 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 08:52 AM

I think dannymills was merely presenting an example.
post #50 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 09:45 AM

We don't realize just how diluted each segment of society is becoming when boundaries suddenly disappear due to the "information age" we live in. We no longer have the advantage or luxury of time to allow ourselves to adapt and "learn" to accept something different. We're suddenly forced to deal with cultural difference we don't understand..... leading to conflict.

Along with this blending of culture our "cultural traditions" get cast aside or deemed as useless or discriminative by others. They should be cherished and respected by all. Even if they don't parallel our own.

Someone mentioned freedom of speech...... remember not all of us have that. It's not recognized as a "given right" throughout the entire world. Those that do have it need to use it wisely, with thought and understanding behind it.... not just to gain instant satisfaction when things get tough or you disagree with an adversary or to gain power.

Dealing with the fact that change is the only permanent thing can be a rather daunting task, but heap on the instant world we live in and we'd all do a lot better just taking a deep breath before responding to others. Perception is reality..... but when you don't or can't take the time to confirm and resolve your perception of things, reality becomes clouded with doubt and mistrust and we'll continue to act based on that.

We all belong to one race..... the human race. It's the only race without a finish line.
post #51 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 11:04 AM

There are two points I'd like to make clear on my behalf.

Number one: common sense when it comes to freedom of speech. Be sensible, ffs. One example of "freedom of speech" gone bat**** insane was the whole Mohammed-charicature deal. Granted, the whole aftermath with violence, death and economical boycotting was way over the top, and two wrongs do not make it right - but if someone is to be blamed, it's the stupidity of those who decided to publish that article, and even moreso when things were so volatile in the region back then!

That being said: I've got a bit of a cantankerous personality which hasn't been an issue with people until I started studying at the uni. I'm almost certain that if I were to let a doctor diagnose our class, half the people would be clinically diagnosed with a stick of their ass. Zero understanding of sacrasm, however mild, no flexibility of personality whatsoever... A minute example: I was sitting next to some girl in class. She was looking towards me, at the door, pretty much EVERYWHERE, a lot. So when she did that once, I turned to her with a sly smile and asked, "Are you spying on me?". With the reaction I got, I could have just as well told her to go **** herself. That's a certifiable stick up the ass.

My final two cents is that people need to stand off a little bit and see what's what with who they're talking about. You don't joke about things like personal faith and death unless you're pretty sure on what the forum's (I'm not talking about internet boards here, I'm talking about the social circles and places you all are parts of) opinion is like concerning the aforementioned topics. People do have feelings.

That being said: grow some bloody skin. The world is harsh, but it's no fine line between fraternal jokes and regular jargon and utter rudeness. There's a big frickin' wall in between the two. People walk around like eggshells for nothing, like they have a reason to be vulnerable and constantly socially depressed. Like I said, grow some skin. I've been bullied, and if there's one good thing to come out of it, it's the ability to clearly tell whether something occurs in fraternal spirit or not, not to mention whether someone's reaction usually depends on excessive fragility or rudeness on behalf of the utterer.
post #52 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 11:05 AM

Thumbs up Re: Down the toliet with being "Politically Correct"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
There are two points I'd like to make clear on my behalf.

Number one: common sense when it comes to freedom of speech. Be sensible, ffs. One example of "freedom of speech" gone bat**** insane was the whole Mohammed-charicature deal. Granted, the whole aftermath with violence, death and economical boycotting was way over the top, and two wrongs do not make it right - but if someone is to be blamed, it's the stupidity of those who decided to publish that article, and even moreso when things were so volatile in the region back then!

That being said: I've got a bit of a cantankerous personality which hasn't been an issue with people until I started studying at the uni. I'm almost certain that if I were to let a doctor diagnose our class, half the people would be clinically diagnosed with a stick of their ass. Zero understanding of sacrasm, however mild, no flexibility of personality whatsoever... A minute example: I was sitting next to some girl in class. She was looking towards me, at the door, pretty much EVERYWHERE, a lot. So when she did that once, I turned to her with a sly smile and asked, "Are you spying on me?". With the reaction I got, I could have just as well told her to go **** herself. That's a certifiable stick up the ass.

My final two cents is that people need to stand off a little bit and see what's what with who they're talking about. You don't joke about things like personal faith and death unless you're pretty sure on what the forum's (I'm not talking about internet boards here, I'm talking about the social circles and places you all are parts of) opinion is like concerning the aforementioned topics. People do have feelings.

That being said: grow some bloody skin. The world is harsh, but it's no fine line between fraternal jokes and regular jargon and utter rudeness. There's a big frickin' wall in between the two. People walk around like eggshells for nothing, like they have a reason to be vulnerable and constantly socially depressed. Like I said, grow some skin. I've been bullied, and if there's one good thing to come out of it, it's the ability to clearly tell whether something occurs in fraternal spirit or not, not to mention whether someone's reaction usually depends on excessive fragility or rudeness on behalf of the utterer.
Well Said!

Regards,

JP
post #53 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 11:18 AM

I am so offended by this whole thread
post #54 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
I am so offended by this whole thread
Lawsuit! Do it!
post #55 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermau View Post
Lawsuit! Do it!
I take offence to that
post #56 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
I don't know Danny but, pigs are animals just like lambs or chickens. Perhaps there may be an alternative to teaching your children about them. Not necessarily because people eat them but, because they are a part of this world and there's nothing you or anyone can really do to deny their existence.

May I ask why the Christmas celebration made you cry?

I have some muslim friends whom I went to high school with but, they never had a problem wishing me a merry christmas and vice versa. Unfortunately, there are many many people in the world with many religions. Perhaps if we, as a species, worried less about what their religion was and worried more about being in harmony, this world would be a better place.

Jimmy

Lol, dude, I was posing an example! I'm not a Muslim, but I'm sure Muslims recognise that pigs exist.
post #57 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 01:34 PM

Even though I'm a liberal minded person politically, I stand strongly against the politically correct. I understand where it came from. It started out as a way to combat discriminating stereotypes and broad generalizations. But I think the beast has grown out of control.
I worked at a Wal-Mart store when we got the memo about saying "Happy Holidays". When I would say it to customers as they were leaving every last damn one of them would say something like "It's okay to wish me a Merry Christmas".
The funny thing is, a holiday like Christmas is celebrated by non-Christians too. It has grown from the celebration of the birth of Jesus to a holiday where it's all about the spirit of giving and fellowship. I know plenty of non-Christians that celebrate the holiday.
I also get tired about having to avoid any issue that can be seen as a "racial" issue. I was talking about Detroit with some people and about how it's really getting rundown. Then the word "ghetto" came up and all of a sudden the conversation was taboo. I wasn't allowed to talk about the black-onblack crime and what not. Despite this, you could ask any person that lives in a ghetto anywhere, and they would tell you that they themselves don't want to live there.
The same thing with profiling. If there was a threat and the police were looking for a skinny white male in his twenties with glasses, I would expect them to search me, and I would fully understand why. But when Al-Qaeda is planning a bombing or something, the airline security and police get threatened with law suits for profiling certain individuals. It's completely stupid and generally unsafe to get in the way of police doing their jobs.
If the police put out an APB right after a crime was commited, and they were looking for a black male, but pulled over an Asian female or White female and were searching them, I would be pissed. It's completely illogical.

I'm sure we could all think of countless stories of political correctness run amok, and that's sad.
post #58 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I take offence to that
See you in court then!!!
post #59 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 03:18 PM

I work for a pretty good size company and have a high toer managment position.

The problem I face is that, things that are said on levels below me can be overlooked and laughed at. But as a Manager, I have to be very careful to ensure the company is not held liable.

In the past you could get to know the people you worked with and their habits and their lifestyles and you would have things to talk about.

Now you cannot ask anything.
Human Resources has now become the Nazi's of the business world.

Another example of people being to sensitive:
I am not allowed to give ideas on placement of money in our 401K.
People ask me all of the time how I do so well, each quarter. I don't say a word. Because if I give them information and they lose even the smallest amount of money, they can hold me and the company accountable for that loss.

Political correctness has created nothing but money for lawyers and fear in the business world.
post #60 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Wow.....some great posts here and all SPOT on!! Thanks for your input everyone Now I don't feel so bad and it's nice to know I'm not alone in my thoughts. Judging from your responses, just possibly, the majority of the folks thing the same. How bout we start a petition??? Somebody's gotta step up and change this crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezGirl View Post
Gone are the days of knowing everyone in the stores and stopping for a friendly chat. Oh yeah, and god forbid if you stop someone in the street and ask them the time.
Exactly, Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I know this is very politically incorrect of me, but this morning I read in the paper that a play called something like "my little piggie" was changed to "my little baby" as not to offend the religions who do not eat pork
OMG - Please tell me you're kidding, good Chimp??

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermau View Post
Lawsuit! Do it!

Hey......I thought you were on our side

Mikey......you either type VERY fast or you have a LOT of time on your hands lately

Nice post by the way! I guess old age has it's advantages

Tags
guitar playing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode