Driving test (gah) - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Driving test (gah)

Right, failed for the 2nd time today.

This time it was for being too assertive at junctions, last time it was for 'undue caution' at junctions/roundabouts.

I'll admit the undue caution in my first test, I was trying to be overly cautious so that I didn't bugger up majorly, like pulling out infront of someone - I thought that's what they wanted, but I guess not. I guess nerves really got the better of me in that test, but I thought I'd learnt from it.

This 2nd test, I feel the examiner was overly harsh - but maybe that's because I was over his personal 'area of comfort'. I didn't, at any point in the test, feel like I was pushing in, or driving too offensively - Maybe I was, but that's how I drive in my lessons, and my instructor says he wouldn't mark me for it. I was courteous to others at junctions, and never approached as if I was going to go straight out.

I feel like my first examiner wanted me to be more offensive and assertive, and my second one wanted me to drive more defensively, which may be down to preference by the examiner - but how can you tell what to drive like if there are a different set of rules for this 'grey' area for each examiner?

I'm not whining about failing, that doesn't bother me, (the £90 for each test bothers my bank account though lol) I'd just like some advice from people who have had this problem. When whether you pass or fail is down to what each examiner is comfortable with, how do you know how to drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 07:47 AM

Lightbulb Re: Driving test (gah)

Let me first say that I have a Dutch driver's license, as well as a USA (Cali.) license, I got my dutch first (at 18 the earliest possible here) and my Cali later (100% score) I have also lived in the UK (albeit while driving my own LHD car) So I know a fair bit about your traffic and tests.

I also remember how stressed I was about the first time (luckily passing) the examiner (f) was very strange, at one point she asked me to take my foot off the accelerator, and she pushed it to the floor; "it *does* work" she remarked. (exam cars have dual control btw)

So I said to her: "why didn't you ask me to go a bit faster?", as my instructor had spent the last couple of weeks getting me to drive slower ...She did let me pass, probably because I did the rest well enough. A driving exam here is about 30mins and includes several special ops (reverese parallel, 3point turn) so it requires you to be prepared for a lot of stuff. She also made the error to have me parallel-park twice! Good thing that was one of my favorite manouvres.

It's fair to say that no two people should drive exactly the same, no two examiners will either, so how *do* you drive?
-within the given rules,
-adjusted for traffic conditions,
-prepared (for the worst or anything traffic or the examiner can throw at you)
-in complete control of the car
-totally aware of the situation
at the same time being:
-relaxed
-intuitive (not a robot)
-assured

the latter are particularly hard in an examination situation. Some of the first you can learn or practice, others some people will never learn. I am pretty sure you can pass without being perfect, or while being nervous.

BTW In the netherlands you can have your instructer join you on the exam. The test is very strict so many people fail, and your errors will need to be corrected later. It may also help, especially when people are unnecessarily nervous. Lastly, the examiner can confer with your instructor after the test.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 07:50 AM

Re: Driving test (gah)

i know a few people who failed a few then changed instructor and passed next time with very few minors, cos your driving gets looked at in new light when you go with a new instructor.
basically you just have to drive how you are used to driving, no different, just make sure you are very aware of whats going on and focus on not doing anything stupid! at least that way you fail cos of your driving and not trying to drive an a way thats not you which is inevitably going to be a way your not fully used to so you wind up taking your eye off the ball a lil bit.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 08:25 AM

It's all a big scam to get money for the DVLA.

I passed my test about 6 months ago on my second attempt. Basically, on the first one a van pulled around a corner from a main road and went down a one way THE WRONG WAY, so I (being the only car around) moved out of the guys way and continued with my test. The guy failed me because he said I should've sat and waited for the van to reverse back onto the main road (which is ILLEGAL!!) but everything else was perfect. I could've beaten the crap out of him right there and then.

The ridiculous thing is for Mylo, is that he was told not to be assertive, yet when you do your pass plus scheme you are taught to be assertive!!

Another thing, if you were a nice looking young female I guarantee you'd get away with mistakes left right and centre. It's ridiculous.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 08:26 AM

Yikes.

I have my permit, and haven't driven above 45 MPH. It's scary. I almost got hit by a truck that "didnt' see me" yesterday. Scary stuff!

~ Katrina
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 09:06 AM

driving tests do suck lots, you cant really judge somebody on a test and everyone drives differently after it anyway, so surely some hesitance during your test is a good thing cos thats the kinda thing you will lose afterwards!

and Katrina im sure youll break 45 sooner or later
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 01:19 PM

My brother got his about month and that was on his first try. Better luck next time dude!

Regards

André

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 01:43 PM

wow, mine was so easy, go up this street, make a 3-point turn, go back to DMV...done. the worst part is the State Cop that sits in the back seat, but you gotta remember, he doesn't want to be there either.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 02:01 PM

It's insane to let kids drive at the age of 16, as in the US. After all, a car is a heavy, powerful machine. For many even 18 is too early...

Bad luck Mylo. There is a saying about three and a charm.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 02:11 PM

maybe you were on the wrong side of the road

Damn Brits!
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina View Post
Yikes.

I have my permit, and haven't driven above 45 MPH. It's scary. I almost got hit by a truck that "didnt' see me" yesterday. Scary stuff!

~ Katrina

Drivers who go too slow cause as many accidents as those going too fast, alot of the times, trucks dont expect you to be going so slow cos you should be going faster than them.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
It's insane to let kids drive at the age of 16, as in the US. After all, a car is a heavy, powerful machine. For many even 18 is too early...

18 is OK, if your old enough to die for your Country..you know how that goes.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 02:47 PM

Ah Driving tests...I failed 3 times just after my dad had died which effed me up a bit and damn was I nervous. A couple of years later I tried again. I passed the optional preliminary test and the driving test with the same examiner. The guy was a racist SoB ex-immigration cop (according to my instructor) so it was pretty funny driving around Adolf Hitler on a bright sunny day. At the driving test he wanted to flunk me at first because of my enthusiastic driving style but I guess I improved later on. Traffic was a mess at 3:30 pm but I didn't make any mistakes except for accelerating a bit to squeeze through at one point earlier on in the test. When we got back my instructor said it was a close call because it took so long. AS IF THERE WAS ANYTHING WRONG WITH MY DRIVING!?! He taught me for crying out loud.
My instructor always tries to bribe the examiners with a bag of candy in the door compartment(?), during preliminary tests.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 03:04 PM

it is very odd ! the test is too subjective and if the examiner is having a bad day then youre fooked

on my test - some time ago - the examiner knew his area and took me through loads of backstreet roadworks making pull out of a junction while on the wrong side of the road on a blind bend :@

needless to say, although I was cautious - as soon as I pulled out a car came round the corner (it was a 60mph limit) - I had to max the car out to avoid an accident...

He later accused me of putting myself in that situation and of "accelerating wildly" but he DID pass me first time out

examiners can be right tosssers - even if they pass you

driving tests have changed a lot since then and I think that they are tougher on tests these days.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
It's all a big scam to get money for the DVLA.

The ridiculous thing is for Mylo, is that he was told not to be assertive, yet when you do your pass plus scheme you are taught to be assertive!!

Another thing, if you were a nice looking young female I guarantee you'd get away with mistakes left right and centre. It's ridiculous.
Sometimes I do believe they are heavy-handed to 17/18 year old guys and quite leniant to young girls, but maybe thats because I'm a guy lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post

Best start believing then hadn't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe View Post
maybe you were on the wrong side of the road

Damn Brits!
Lol you should try driving in an area where there are Americans who have just PCS'ed here and are trying to drive into town to get something. The look of confusion on their faces at the roundabouts... It's classic sometimes.

BTW, are there *really* no roundabouts in the states...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisshredding View Post
it is very odd ! the test is too subjective and if the examiner is having a bad day then youre fooked
That's exactly how I feel. What's good for one examiner is bad with another. Ah well, I'll just keep trying til I pass or get the same examiner.

I like what eviltwin said about the instructor sitting in on the test aswell - I wish that could happen here. Atleast I'd know for certain that it was entirely my fault and that the examiner wasn't just having a bad day/didn't like my approach/didn't like the look of me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode