Driving Test Next Week! Tips/Advice? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Driving Test Next Week! Tips/Advice?

Heya Guys,

Got my driving test next friday (26th). I just wondered if any of you had any experiences or tips/advice you wanted to give?

I am confident, and not nervous in the slightest. But you know it is, you never have 100% confidence do ya. So any tips or whatever please go ahead.

Thanks.
Gary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 09:52 AM

If at some point you feel like you are no longer driving on pavement and you look outside the window and you see grass and trees everywhere - you probably failed the test. (unless you're taking an offroad driving test...)

Seriousely, keep it on the road, look far (not 1 but 3 or 4 cars ahead) and you should be just fine.

Good luck.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:15 AM

calm, cool, and collected

and expect the instructor to have a permanent 'what the f$ck is this kid doing' look on his face. They always do.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:40 AM

Remain calm and get plenty of practice. I know things are different than when I took my test. I had to do a 3-point turn on a road wide enough to to a u-turn on, and I didn't have to parallel park! It's been said that some instructors pass or fail someone based on their confidence level.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:41 AM

All the usual tips like dont speed , look in your mirrors lots etc but you know these of course , I would recommend doing your best to look like a nerd , 80% of the time examiners will fail townies because they wear burberry hats and give off a bad impression. Very stupid and hard to believe but its true Make sure your very polite , make a nice impression etc , good luck matey
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:46 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
rent Ferris Bueller's Day Off

be smart & safe that is what instructors want. good luck... glen
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 11:13 AM

The little pedal on the right makes it go.

But seriously, Anton has a point, be careful and polite.
Greg
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 12:19 PM

Reviews: 3
Floor it and don't look back.

Have a few beers beforehand to take the edge off.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 12:45 PM

dont crash

Actually, when you climb into the car KNOW you are going to pass... don't just THINK you are going to pass.... I did that with my highschool exams and came out with straight A's
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Fry

Drive like there's a cop on your ass.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 01:30 PM
Vendor

Borrow the smallest car you can to take the test in, always makes K turns and parallel parking a breeze
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 01:33 PM

Well,I had no problems with my test, but my friend made a left turn on a red light, moron almost got himself killed....so yeah, don't do that
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 01:47 PM

I knew a guy who did a driving test last year, started off real conservative, did everything neccessary, made sure he wasn't speeding, was looking both ways etc, being safe and passive....

he did however make one mistake, I forgot what it was, but they told him he wasn't quite ready to drive, and that they were going to fail him this time around, but that he should come back soon for a retest.

Well, this really angered him because he was supposed to drive out to a camping trip that weekend, and it was now off. So seeing as they were in HIS car for the test, as soon as the instructor failed him he cranked Anthrax up on his stereo, and gunned into 140kmp/h back to the test centre LOL!

The instructor almost had a heartattack!
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys, alot of people say it is down to luck on the day. And the instructor you get etc etc..... But it shouldnt be like this surely. If someone is good enough they should pass! I think they have gotten alot harder over recent years, and certainly alot harsher. You can get failed for the most stupid little things. And yet I know some people that mounted kerbs and all sorts......and yet still passed! How does it all work? God knows, I just hope I have some luck!

Keep the replies and stuffs comin.
Gary.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 03:44 PM

Basically it does all come down to luck. If you know how to drive, and don't have to question yourself when driving, then you should be able to pass fairly easily. It also depends on Rush hour and other drivers too.

Tags
darren wilson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode