Dumb / useless laws. What's the dumbest you've heard? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Dumb / useless laws. What's the dumbest you've heard?

I've found there are some pretty stupid and pointless laws out there made by the government, especially those made for "political correctness".

Here's two over here in Australia:

"Singing of the song 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' in public is no longer politically correct and is prohibited, as the word 'black' is racist."

and

"The Fairy Penguin (a small penguin species living off the coast of Western Australia) must now be called the 'Little Penguin', due to the word 'Fairy' being tied to homosexuality."

Those are two very pathetic laws.

I still hear kids singing 'Baa baa black sheep', and everyone except the government and media still calls the Fairy Penguins by their original name.

And I don't blame them... they have a right to, and it's not like the government is going to start arresting everyone who sings a song or calls a penguin by its name.

So my questions to you is: What are the dumbest laws you've heard of, and what country did they come from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 01:30 AM

Re: Dumb / useless laws. What's the dumbest you've heard?

LOL, we have another here in Oz... Santa Claus is not allowed to say "Hoe Hoe Hoe" anymore. How dare that fat man be so politically incorrect
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 01:53 AM

Reviews: 2

You cannot PARK your ELEPHANT on any public street in Illinois or Granite City....I forget how it is.
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 03:02 AM

Every Englishman must practise with his Bow on the village green each Sunday for at least 1 hour - law still stands..

I do of course follow the law to the letter and cant seem to work out why the rozzers pick me up every sunday afternoon and take me for a nice cup of tea and a chat at their lovely station
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 03:10 AM

Reviews: 4

I say our santa, sheep and penguin laws are the most pathetic and politically INcorrect laws I've ever seen, it just seems to me that the 'dirtiness' of those sayings that they changed are in the eyes of the beholder, which leads me to believe that the politicians that passed these laws are going around being racist, hurtful and scaring young children!
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 04:47 AM

its illegal to sell alcohol to a moose in canada i think lol..
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 09:33 AM

Reviews: 1

In Joliet IL. It is illegal to mispronounce the city's name, "Jah-lee-et", it must be said "Joe-lee-et"
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 AM

see MJ thread

edit: maybe not

Last edited by southpaw_lefty; 04-04-2009 at 09:45 AM.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 09:59 AM

How about anytime you hear of someone doing a break and enter hurt themselves in the victims house and they end up suing them. What's that about?

If you are illegally in someone elses house and you trip over and break a leg, tough sh!t I say.

Every couple of months the media picks up on something like this, but the laws never seem to change.

Rock on!
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned

Helmet laws. Drug laws. Well, pretty much any law that allows one man or group of men to control another man, or group of men.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 08:36 PM

there's a ton here, but I'll repeat a few anyway:

- Alabama:
1. It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.

- Alaska:
1. It is illegal to push a live moose out of a moving airplane.

- California:
1. Community leaders passed an ordinance that makes it illegal for anyone to try and stop a child from playfully jumping over puddles of water.

- Oklahoma:
1. Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in groups of three or more on private property

- West Virginia:
1. No children may attend school with their breath smelling of "wild onions."
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 09:34 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuit View Post
I've found there are some pretty stupid and pointless laws out there made by the government, especially those made for "political correctness".

Here's two over here in Australia:

"Singing of the song 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' in public is no longer politically correct and is prohibited, as the word 'black' is racist."

and

"The Fairy Penguin (a small penguin species living off the coast of Western Australia) must now be called the 'Little Penguin', due to the word 'Fairy' being tied to homosexuality."

Those are two very pathetic laws.

I still hear kids singing 'Baa baa black sheep', and everyone except the government and media still calls the Fairy Penguins by their original name.

And I don't blame them... they have a right to, and it's not like the government is going to start arresting everyone who sings a song or calls a penguin by its name.

So my questions to you is: What are the dumbest laws you've heard of, and what country did they come from?
Ummm where are they listed as law? What legislation covers this? I think someones pulled your leg. The Ho Ho Ho Santa thing is not a law either. From memory it's was banned at shopping centre or something, but it's not law.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 09:35 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Helmet laws. Drug laws. Well, pretty much any law that allows one man or group of men to control another man, or group of men.
Come on, grow up and get off it!

Do you feel the same about the 10 commandments? They are a law laid down by and entity for a group of men to judge on......
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 10:43 PM

Reviews: 22

In erwin NC (here) you cannot
A). Bathe your donkey in a bathtub in your house.
B). Cannot snore loud enough to wake your neighbor.

and everyone tells me every position but missionary is illegal here.....
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 01:30 AM

In the Netherlands:

You can't smoke a cigarette in a bar or restaurant. Okay, that's a good thing imo.

But you can smoke a joint in a bar where they sell soft drugs.

Tags
dumbest. , laws , useless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode