economy killed used guitar prices. - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 37
Unhappy economy killed used guitar prices.

I have noticed that in the last 3 years ibanez used prices dropped badly.
I always surf the bay and the rg550 in bad shape was always 500.00
Now its just terrible.
its good for buyers , but sellers are really hurting from this.

I wonder will they go back up.I think it is hurting the vintage guitar appeal for me also.
I used to think that the old rg guitars were the best , but with the prices you can't tell.

And now that they are so cheap , they are sure to be chopped up , scalloped to death, amateur swirled and just ravaged. lol

god save the vintage japan ibby's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:41 AM

Reviews: 21
Re: economy killed used guitar prices.

Downward pressure on price will always be applied simply because of the name on the headstock. Unless it's a collectors item, something wickedly famous, or limited in number you'll be hard pressed to sell for good money.
The economy, in general, made the entire used market tough but an RG570 is a tough sell as it is. The good news is you may see a lot of pent up demand on the upswing. Lots of guys who were forced to sell their guitar collections may be ready to buy back with a vengeance once they get back on their feet.
If I'm not mistaken, there's a general trend back towards teles, LP's, and more "vintage" instruments as well, making the sale a bit tougher.
Personally, I've always bought Ibanez's because I love them. I don't ever expect to get a good resale value from them, even from my RG 20th. IMO if you want to make money in the used market, chase LP's, SG's, and old Fenders.
Good luck!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 09:14 AM

Reviews: 2

This is a tough one, because in the past I have bought RG 550, 570, 520, 620,......... (you get the idea) for around the 200 - 250 price range over here in the UK. I buy loads of these for swirling and then sell them on for decent'ish money. The other day I had a 570 and two 550's in my watched list, the 570 went for 370 +30 postage, one 550 was pick up only, no postage and sold for 275. the other 550 went for a staggering 442.x amount of pence. + 20 postage!!! So there you go thats my recent experience of second hand RG prices. Great for sellers and not so great for buyers......... It may be worth me mentioning I decided to jump on the band wagon and sell two of my swirl custom guitars I just hope I get a good price for them.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy mills View Post
This is a tough one, because in the past I have bought RG 550, 570, 520, 620,......... (you get the idea) for around the 200 - 250 price range over here in the UK. I buy loads of these for swirling and then sell them on for decent'ish money. The other day I had a 570 and two 550's in my watched list, the 570 went for 370 +30 postage, one 550 was pick up only, no postage and sold for 275. the other 550 went for a staggering 442.x amount of pence. + 20 postage!!! So there you go thats my recent experience of second hand RG prices. Great for sellers and not so great for buyers......... It may be worth me mentioning I decided to jump on the band wagon and sell two of my swirl custom guitars I just hope I get a good price for them.
Like all of your work those 2 you have up for sale at the mo are beauties, watching them.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:20 AM

Reviews: 3

The entire market is down. Not just guitars. A lot of folks are very frustrated with trying to sell used gear. Put a real value, as in one that someone will pay and it will sell if it's a desirable model regardless of maker. I see so many people putting super mint pricing on a players piece and then getting upset when it does not sell.... I hear the same thing. I saw it on Ebay at this price. My reply is always the same, did it sell?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
. . .
And now that they are so cheap , they are sure to be chopped up , scalloped to death, amateur swirled and just ravaged. lol

god save the vintage japan ibby's.
For everybody who sells one cheap because they need the money, there are also people out there who might sell, but are holding on because prices are depressed.

And human nature has not changed. Sellers always want too much money, and buyers want the world for free.

Peace

Mike
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 11:54 AM

Yup, lots of sacrilege happening to Ibbys on this board.
In the words of Rodney Dangerfield, NO RESPECT.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 PM

all guitar prices are down - I picked up a very nice acoustic 12 string for $149.00 over the weekend
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 02:52 PM

Reviews: 2

It's great if you ask me, I picked a bunch of PRS really cheap!

It took me ages to sell my gear at a decent price though...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:57 PM

If you have a job now's a great time to buy.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:44 PM

Reviews: 1

It goes in cycles, and we're in a down-cycle now but it always comes back around.

Tags
bad economy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode