electronic cigarettes? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

electronic cigarettes?

So does anyone have any experience with one of these? I've been a heavy smoker for years, and this sounds like the best idea ever for kicking the habit.

There's hundreds of different manufacturers out there, and the online reviews are all over the freaking map. Anyone out here swear by one?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Vendor

Re: electronic cigarettes?

An old friend of mine "quit" using one. I played a round of golf with him in Florida last month, and everytime I turned around there was "smoke" coming out of his mouth. For somebody that "quit", he sure was sucking on that thing all day long
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 12:00 AM

Reviews: 25

Yeah I heard about it, but after having quit on my own with no help for 5 years almost... I reckon its just something else to spend your money on that the makers hope will be your next crutch...

nothing is better then human will power...

The thing that got me to quit, was a nicorette commercial "nicotene patch company in Australia" their commercial stated 5x that of human will power. and I said to that who the fark do they think they are, and how do they know how much my will power is...

The best way to quit is to realise that you have more will power then a ciggy....
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 09:50 AM

Reviews: 11

Its certainly healthier. I plan on switching over soon, I;ll let you know how it is.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 AM

Reviews: 21

I smoked for 18 years and April 1st was my 4 year anniversary of quitting. I used to use some (the original plan was ALL, LOL!) of the money I saved to buy a new guitar each year. Currently, if I had smoked this year vs my old 1 pack a day habit, I saved about $2,200 I think.
I used the patch to step down. HANDS DOWN quitting is the hardest thing you'll do; no question. Once you're through, I promise, you feel no different than when you were smoking. It's an addiction that creates its own need.

The trick is.... you need to envision living your life as a non-smoker.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

So... no ecig people eh?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 11:25 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
nothing is better then human will power...
While I personally have never had to deal with addiction, everybody I know who has successfully quit and not relapsed quit entirely based off their own will power.

Although Mike's post would directly contradict mine and he lived it, so I'd trust him!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Reviews: 4

My dad was doing 2-3 packs for over 15 years. last september he bought some "E-cigs", and was completely finished in about 2 weeks. in fact, he still has 5 (out of of the replacement filters left over! He said they were very close to the real thing and satisfied his needs, and stepped down over the 2 weeks. they come in different amounts of nicotene as well, there is full nicotine, which is approximately as much as a real cig, and various grades until there is a nicotine free filter. the filters also come in various flavors, from normal tobacco and marlboro, to chocolate and bubble gum!

I'ts also really quite a bit cheaper then normal cigarretes, too. My dad only used two filters over 2 weeks, each filter is equal to several boxes of cigs, and the starter pack is only 80 dollars IIRC, and it has all the extra chargers (USB, car and wall), two E-cigs, and either 8 or 10 filters. imo pretty good for what my dad called a "great analog to cigarretes", and i would consider him to be a bit of a connoisseur!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Awesome, any idea what brand he used? There's about a thousand different ones..
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 12:27 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
While I personally have never had to deal with addiction, everybody I know who has successfully quit and not relapsed quit entirely based off their own will power.

Although Mike's post would directly contradict mine and he lived it, so I'd trust him!
Not at all. Willpower is EVERYTHING. The patch only helped moderately.
Other things that helped, I think:
I worked out a lot, running especially. Get out and enjoy the outdoors.
Sleep. I tried to sleep more than normal. It helped a little with withdrawl, I think. Don't sleep with the patch on if you use it. You'll have some funky dreams.
Ultimately, I think the reason I failed on all my previous attempts is because I couldn't truly visualize myself as a non-smoker. I'd try to quit, but somewhere in the back of my head I doomed myself to fail. I'd tell myself this is an "attempt" to quit, rather than the actual final process. I don't know if that makes sense. You really have to SEE yourself living life as a non-smoker. No smoke with coffee. None on the morning drive. None after sex. None after dinner. NONE! This was a very tough thing, both psychologically and chemically but it CAN BE DONE. Believe it!
I wanted to quit too. No one coerced me. Not family, girls, friends... nothing. I just was smoking a cigarette one day and was tired of how nasty they tasted. A close friend of mine had quit a month prior so it helps having a friend going through the same thing.
I try to help my friends out who want to quit. I will drop what I'm doing at a given moment if someone needs a "talking down".
Anyone here is welcome to PM me too. I'll put my e-mail up later if it isn't in my profile. I would be more than glad to help!
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 03:46 PM

I know of four people who recently quit smoking by using Chantix. It's a prescription drug that blocks certain receptors or something. Some of the people I know that have quit by using this had tried many times before without success. Chantix is definately worth a shot if the e-cig doesn't do it for you.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 07:00 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
Awesome, any idea what brand he used? There's about a thousand different ones..
ah, yes. The are called "smoke tips" I believe.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
I know of four people who recently quit smoking by using Chantix. It's a prescription drug that blocks certain receptors or something. Some of the people I know that have quit by using this had tried many times before without success. Chantix is definately worth a shot if the e-cig doesn't do it for you.
Yea up there in Canook land that is an option, here in the states no medical ins. will cover elective drugs, (for the few who even have insurance) and Chantix is over $1000 a month last I heard.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 07:20 PM

Reviews: 3

They are great, but you have to get the right kind. Don't go for the chinese crap at the mall. I would suggest www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/, or www.altsmoke.com for great products, advice, and tutorials. I stopped smoking cigarettes 2 years ago, and have never looked back. I must mention though, that I am just as addicted to nicotine as ever. The e cigs were just a smoking replacement for me, not smoking cessation. BUT, its not the nicotine that kills you, its all the tar etc... I feel much more healthy and spend a vast amount less money since the switch.

Last edited by leathermonkey7; 04-12-2011 at 07:25 PM.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 08:07 PM

Reviews: 25

I can tell you I quit at a time where all my friends and some family were smoking around me. I picked the hardest time to quit. My mind chant was that "I CONTROL MY LIFE" nothing or no one else has control. Nothing worse then knowing that you are not in control of your life.

I get to say if I turn left or right in life and that goes for putting a burning stick in my mouth. My quiting annoyed many of my friends. Not like they were upset with me, but they all deep down want to quit also and it really shook up the circle, and people are still struggling, because they still havent grasped the idea that in life if you want to do something you just need to will it to happen and thats it. Its that easy....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode