Elite XC on CBS - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Elite XC on CBS

Did anyone else watch it?

I was dissapointed in the fights.
The problem is that, because it's on network TV, as soon someone started bleeding or got knocked areoud, the fights were stopped.

The fight with Robbie Lawler was stopped to early. It was the best fight of the night.

How about that ear on the dude who fought Kimbo.

If you have the VS channel, There is going to be a great fight on tonite.

Urijah Faber V/S Jens Pulver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 10:17 AM

Re: Elite XC on CBS

I missed it, because where I am right now we have no TV, but I heard the Kimbo fight was BS. I wish I could have gotten to see it.

Keep us (at least me) updated on the Faber/Pulver fight tonight. I have a feeling the California Kid is going to take it to him, but it ought to be a good one.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblanch View Post
Did anyone else watch it?

I was dissapointed in the fights.
The problem is that, because it's on network TV, as soon someone started bleeding or got knocked areoud, the fights were stopped.

The fight with Robbie Lawler was stopped to early. It was the best fight of the night.

How about that ear on the dude who fought Kimbo.

If you have the VS channel, There is going to be a great fight on tonite.

Urijah Faber V/S Jens Pulver.
Yeah, faber has a butt chin, but he is a bad f'er. The chris ferguson (kimbo) fight was absolute crap. I have never seen a guy the size of the guy kimbo fought with so little power in his punches. They weren't even slaps, they were absolutely pathetic.

UFC is becoming a joke to me, Elite usually has pretty damn good fights, if they would only get kimbo out of the picture, and VS. is really on the rise.

Pride is still my favorite though
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 04:11 AM

Yeah, Kimbo (Kevin Ferguson) definitely needs to work his ground game more. I would have thought that a year with Bas Rutten would have done more for him but his striking is still good for a man of that size. James Thompson was supposed to be a tuna can but if the fight would have gone the distance he would have won on the score cards. I gotta say though, his freaking ear exploded. That was nasty. It was hanging like a dishrag spewing blood and then he got caught with about 3 or 4 unanswered power shots to the face and head. I don't think it would have lasted much longer anyway but wow was Kimbo gassed after. Anyway, way too much blood for network tv.
Same same for Carano. That turned out to be a pretty good fight. They both took and gave some pretty serious shots at different points. I didn't see her eye after they called it between rounds though so no idea.
Faber is going to walk right through Pulver unless he makes a very serious mistake. It would probably take a few serious mistakes in a row actually. Urijah is as good on the ground at his weight as BJ is at his and look what he did to Pulver on the ground. Jens had his day and great win over Cub Swanson but he is nowhere near, nor has he ever been, in Urijah Faber's league. BTW, Faber's parents are these hippy holistic types and growing up, he never had an innoculation shot of any kind, was (and still is I believe) a vegetarian, never took any medication of any kind, all that.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 06:50 AM

Umm...*ahem*...

I see the Urijah Faber vs Jens Pulver match happened a few days ago.

Anyhoo, surprised it went the full 5 rounds but Faber dominated every round. I laughed when the announcers were calling him "Little Fedor". At this weight Faber is an absolute tank. Pulver did a lot better than I thought he would though.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 06:53 AM

I thought Kimbo looked okay all things considered. He is still VERY new to the sport. He managed to do some moves on the ground against a really big guy that has some experience. His conditioning is not where it needs to be but I think people are taking for granted the kind of conditioning and skill that the top fighters now have. You are not going to get there in a year.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 07:28 AM

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that Faber/Pulver went the distance. I like them both, but I just had a feeling Faber would really dominate.

From what I saw on youtube, it looked like Kimba gased pretty hard, and like Rotti said, it is not easy to get to the level of conditioning some of the top fighters have.

I read somewhere, it may have even been Bas that said it, that it takes about two years for someone with natural athletic ability and drive to become a pretty damn good MMA fighter. I'd be curious to see where Kimbo is at in a year.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 07:51 AM

Very good point!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 AM

If you like kimbo, that's perfectly fine, but as a fighter myself, not to mention a fan, I feel kimbo shouldn't even be seen on tv yet. This is not WWE, you shouldn't get top billing cause you beat some guys up behind a piggly wiggly a few years ago. I can't stand them putting him in with low opposition, and then raking in the money from morons that think he's the best thing since tyson.

Kimbo can punch, no doubt about it, but he hasn't earned his spot in that sport yet.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 08:46 AM

Very true. Kimbo has a long way to go but he has potential and that certain something that makes people want to tune in. And you know fighters don't have to be the best in the sport to put on a good show either. As long as the fight is competetive and the fighters really go at it two very average fighters can have a great fight. (Gatti vs Ward fights for example) Just as two great fighters can have a very boring fight. We've seen that many times. So as long as they make interesting matchups for Kimbo I'll watch.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

The Elite XC on CBS reminded me of the Vince McMahon football debacle.
All fluff and no substance.

They had fireworks and music and girls dancing. I dont want to see that crap. All I want to see is quality fighting, like the WEC and UFC.
WEC has surprised me lately with the caliber of fighters they are getting and the production of their shows.

The thing I would really like to see is Urijah Faber fight some of the guys in UFC. Urijah is the toughest and the best fighter there is. I just wish Urijah had the medium and publicity that UFC fighters get.

I have watched Urijah for years and until he fought Jens Pulver he did not get the publicity and recognition of some of the bigger name fighters.

Also, if Kimbo were to fight a real ground and pound guy, he would have a real awakening on what it takes to be at the top in this sport.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 09:29 AM

WEC has really got it going on. I am very impressed. They seem to have a plethora of high-caliber fighters that you can tell have been training MMA for years, and that know their stuff. I think the WEC is going to start getting a lot of recognition.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
WEC has really got it going on. I am very impressed. They seem to have a plethora of high-caliber fighters that you can tell have been training MMA for years, and that know their stuff. I think the WEC is going to start getting a lot of recognition.
Unfortunately, I doubt it. UFC is buying up all the competition. Although I'd love to see them succeed.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblanch View Post
Also, if Kimbo were to fight a real ground and pound guy, he would have a real awakening on what it takes to be at the top in this sport.
I don't think anyone would argue that. Kimbo would be the first to admit he has a lot to learn. They are doing the right thing taking easier fights for him. MMA is a tough place to learn on the job.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
I don't think anyone would argue that. Kimbo would be the first to admit he has a lot to learn. They are doing the right thing taking easier fights for him. MMA is a tough place to learn on the job.
very true, which is why I still can't understand why he is top billing when there are actual skilled pros that deserve the attention more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode