The end of music? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

The end of music?

Hey guys, I am really in need of articles discussing whether music has a future, or if we are running out of ideas, and if its possible that one day (possibly soon) we will run out of new music. I cant find very many so if you happen to know any please give a link.

Also for the sake of the thread, what do you think? will music run out? do you think theres enough innovation and ideas we havent done yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:08 PM

Re: The end of music?

the usage, combination and order of notes, rhythms and lyrics has to be nearly infinite.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:21 PM

Reviews: 25

Music has been copying itself since the first person made music and the first person heard music being played and then tried to replicate it..

There are infinite combinations, and take 2 live performances of the same song with the same band in the same hall and it will still never be the exact same performance..

I dont think we have anything to worry about.

Thats why music is so popular, because a new song no matter how similar to another is still new ...

But I could be wrong
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:04 PM

Yeah I certainly would not say that music is "at an end" or anything like that. I keep on discovering new bands that are truly excellent. I'm VERY picky with what I like in music and I don't ever find myself at a loss for something new and cool to listen to.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 PM

It would seem obvious that art will always have a future as long as there is freedom of expression.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 01:20 AM

Reviews: 2

Yeah music is nowhere near an end. Especially with all the digital instruments and editing. You can so much more options for tailoring your music to be exactly what you want it to be. More so now then ever.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Hahaha I knew this would happen.

Im on the side of 'music isnt going to end', but I need a few arguments that it will. This is obviously going to be a tough presentation to do... maybe I should try to get a different topic.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Illusions View Post
Also for the sake of the thread, what do you think? will music run out? do you think theres enough innovation and ideas we havent done yet?
That's a good question. I just thought about this the other day, actually.

A while ago I saw a singer on TV who was talking about plagiarism. And during the conversation he said this: there are only so many notes under the sun. I think that's true. So that means that there are only so many combinations of notes possible, as well. Now, the amount of possible combinations is vast. But not infinite, I think.

I also think about the term 'writing' sometimes. I don't know who coined that. But 'discovering' is a more fitting word, I think. I mean, the possibilities regarding music that can be written have always been there to be discovered. I write music. And I feel I can't really take credit for the existence of these possibilities. I mean, I didn't create the universe, you see? The only thing I can take credit for really, is discovering them, I feel. And recording them so that they can be heard.

Anyway, I think the ideas will run out at some point. But this will probably be in the year 1000000000 or something.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 AM

I'd have to agree that music isn't going out like the dinosaurs, but think of new genres of music - sure there are infinite combinations of notes, but can they be presented in a style that is new and inventive? Does it require new types of instruments, new tunings, new rhythm styles, etc? I think music will always be around, but maybe the number of really innovative artists will decrease . . .
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst and rain View Post
So that means that there are only so many combinations of notes possible, as well. Now, the amount of possible combinations is vast. But not infinite, I think.
This is correct.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 11:22 AM

It's ok.....i'm going to invent some new secret notes
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Illusions View Post
Hahaha I knew this would happen.

Im on the side of 'music isnt going to end', but I need a few arguments that it will. This is obviously going to be a tough presentation to do... maybe I should try to get a different topic.
Thought so; this has the reek of "idiot teacher" all over it. I would request something that actually has a chance of happening rather than something that certainly won't happen. It's like asking if everything that's ever going to be invented has already been invented...how could you possibly back that up with an assertion that doesn't come off as absurd? You can't find an expert opinion that nmusic has hit a dead end, but I suppose if you really need some moronic opinions I guess we could gen a few up for you off the cuff. They'd be stupid though.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst and rain View Post
there are only so many notes under the sun.
I've heard that thrown around a bit. It's one of those things that sounds smart if you don't think about it.

It is completely and utterly false.

To be true it would have to be said something like this:
There are only so many pitches that most people's ears can hear under the sun.

A note is a combination of pitch and rhythm. And there are an infinite amount of rhythms limited only by the players ability. Also with extended range instruments starting to exist(7 string violins, 10+ string guitars) more instruments are having more pitches available on them.

I suppose that if musical technology was to stop innovated that maybe in a couple million centruies we want have exhasuted all possibilites within music. But that would only happen if the musicians stopped pushing the technology. Which will never happen.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:28 PM

If we run out we will just use half and quarter tones
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:47 PM

In one measure of 4/4 with a sixteenth note subdivision and the snare drum on 2 and 4, there are 2^14 or 16,384 possible bass drum patterns. That's 2^28 or 268,435,356 possibilities for two measures of 4/4. Now if we add pitches, the possibility of playing 6-8 notes per strum, and playing on 2 & 4, different tempos, having multi-layers of other instruments, etc. I don't think the possibilities will end in my lifetime.

Tags
chord progressions , innovation , melodies. , new music

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode