Epiphone and Squier. Cheap copies or good value? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Epiphone and Squier. Cheap copies or good value?

What do you think of these kind of guitars? Just cheap knock off guitars or just as good as the "real" one's?
I personally think that both Epiphone and Squier offer guitars that are great for what they cost, but can never reach the kind of quality you've come to expect from a Fender or Gibson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 03:49 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: Epiphone and Squier. Cheap copies or good value?

i don't know about epiphone but squier yes mainly because on a guitar at around the 270 price range you can get duncan designed pickups which are far better then most pickups made by fender in my opinion
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

You can get the pick ups for much less, but I don't think that there are guitars under 350$ that feature good Seymour Duncan pups
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:39 AM

Reviews: 120

The Squiers aren't too bad these days. Of course they aren't quite in the Fender territory, but you can get a nice instrument.

I picked out a Squier Affinity series Strat and I was impressed with the neck and body. They sound decent and feel good. Upgrade the pickups (done a hot Woo Sung Chorus strat rail humbucker in the bridge so far), and it sounds amazing. I'd play it all day long if it were mine. Pickup was less than $30AUD too.

If you are looking for some great pickups for minimal cash jump on the Woo Sung Chorus ones, very nice.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

I'm buying a squier black & chrome fat as back up soon, and I'll probably just replace the humbucker with some emg and the single coils with dimarzios. I'm pretty sure I could get a better guitar for the price it's going to cost me with the pups, but I like the feel and the looks of the guitar.
Epiphones and Squiers allways seemed like an excellent value to me.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 03:48 PM

Reviews: 120

I'd go with the Affinity because it's an alder bodied one as opposed to the basswood that the fat Strat is made of. The alder sounds better to me. You can get one with a humbucker in the bridge if you want. Plenty of decent pickups for little cash too.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 04:07 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReTr093 View Post
You can get the pick ups for much less, but I don't think that there are guitars under 350$ that feature good Seymour Duncan pups
there are guitar's by squier with good duncans under 350$ for 280$ you can get a squier with hot rail pickups and you see dave murray from iron maiden playing guitar's with hot rail pickups allot not squier but still
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:47 PM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I'd go with the Affinity because it's an alder bodied one as opposed to the basswood that the fat Strat is made of. The alder sounds better to me. You can get one with a humbucker in the bridge if you want. Plenty of decent pickups for little cash too.
Exactly what I would do. Alder is a better wood for a traditional strat type sound.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 07:07 AM

I think squiers are good value, and a great platform to build on. With a few mods, you can make one sound pretty excellent. That's what i did with my first guitar and it sounds pretty awesome for how much it costs.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 03:26 PM

Reviews: 12

Both are excellent value if i'm honest. Probably The epi's are the more notable as they had a pupose built factory built by gibson and had full gibbo usa trainging given and as far as i'm aware the factory is run by one of gibsons head honcho's over there.
Squier are pretty good as well you cant fault something thats a fender strat in all but name!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 10:46 AM

Reviews: 26

Squier Vintage Modified and, Deluxe and Classic Vibe series are really a great value in guitars. My number one guitar, out of over fifty that I have, is now a Classic Vibe 50s Strat. I did a mod that removes the tone from the middle pickup and puts it on the bridge. Otherwise it's all stock and awesome, and this is the one that gets played at gigs.

Some of the current MIC Epiphones are really good as well. But like any manufacturer you still need to look around for the really good ones that speak to you and feel good to you. I have a MIC limited edition Epi Birdseye LP that is a really sweet guitar. This one also goes to gigs. The older Korean Epis are really good too. Still, you have to hunt for something that truly makes your mouth water and you fall in love with.

Both companies are making good stuff. It's just up to us to find it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:11 PM

Reviews: 57

If you can find a Squire from the late 80's and 90's, they're actually really well made, at least some of them. I think they were making them in Japan then, and they're very comparable to some of the low end USA Fender stuff.

Tags
iguitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode