Even more prolific than the 27 club - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Even more prolific than the 27 club

When I think of the 27 club there's Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, and Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones and it's astonishing how many rock stars died at 27. Kurt Cobain, Amy Winehouse, Kristen Pfaff, and the list goes on.

But what astonished me more was that even though the 27 club has a lot of rock stars who are on the list, the list of heroin addict jazz musicians not only surprisingly surpasses any rock and rollers I can think of, it's almost a who's who of the jazz genre. I remember hearing Dave Mustaine blame his own heroin addiction on the fact that two jazzers he brought into Megadeth did the common jazz thing which was shoot up. He didn't know many rockers who did it but with jazz it seemed prevalent and he picked up that jazz players bad habit.

But what gives with jazz and heroin?

One of the jazz teachers at the local school also suffered with the habit but didn't have the income of the famous names so I have no idea how he kept it up as it's not exactly cheap.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/headph...eroin_addicts/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 12:21 PM

Re: Even more prolific than the 27 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
...as it's not exactly cheap.[/url]
It is, actually, which is one of the reasons we're seeing a rising heroin pandemic these days. I don't know exactly what the pricing is for very obvious reasons, but a lot of people are getting hooked on opiate based prescription painkillers (percoset, for example) and either having their prescriptions run out, or realizing that the same dose that costs them $60 on the black market in pill form can be had via heroin (which is now increasingly smoked rather than injected) for something like $5. You often find people either switching when they go into withdrawal after their prescription is up (and you can become chemically dependent in as little as two weeks, and opiates are often prescribed longer), or continuing to get opiates via prescription, but selling them and buying the much-cheaper heroin for their own needs.

Heroin was big in jazz circles, near as I can tell, for two reasons - because it was cheap (and many working musicians weren't exactly raking in the dough), and for the same reason coke was so big in hair metal in the 80s - because it was just everywhere, and everyone else was doing it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 01:21 PM
Vendor

Let's not dismiss the creative mode it puts the mind in, which is why you find a lot of artistic people snorting a few rails before they "work".
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
It is, actually, which is one of the reasons we're seeing a rising heroin pandemic these days. I don't know exactly what the pricing is for very obvious reasons, but a lot of people are getting hooked on opiate based prescription painkillers (percoset, for example) and either having their prescriptions run out, or realizing that the same dose that costs them $60 on the black market in pill form can be had via heroin (which is now increasingly smoked rather than injected) for something like $5. You often find people either switching when they go into withdrawal after their prescription is up (and you can become chemically dependent in as little as two weeks, and opiates are often prescribed longer), or continuing to get opiates via prescription, but selling them and buying the much-cheaper heroin for their own needs.

Heroin was big in jazz circles, near as I can tell, for two reasons - because it was cheap (and many working musicians weren't exactly raking in the dough), and for the same reason coke was so big in hair metal in the 80s - because it was just everywhere, and everyone else was doing it.
I didn't see the painkiller thing coming and it has devastated entire communities. It's so bad in Ohio that there's been legislation targeted directly to attack this problem. There's a lot of blame to go around but certainly to the medical community who may not have seen this coming, either.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 06:53 AM

whow!!!! am not much into jazz, so didn`t know of these guys being into Heroin.
Where I live, it is actually quite cheap, compared to some other drugs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode