Ever bought a guitar and hated it? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Ever bought a guitar and hated it?

Has anyone else bought a guitar and then wound up wanting to throw it out a window? Long story short, I bought a 7 string to play some Liquid Tension Experiment with a drummer I work with. The local music store had 3 7 stringers to choose from. I should have bought the K-7, but I went with the S7320. It won't hold a setup. The action above the 12th fret is horrid. While it's not a bad guitar, it's not the shred machine I wanted, it's hard to play, and I can't give this thing away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 11:29 AM

Reviews: 15
Re: Ever bought a guitar and hated it?

What do you mean that it wont hold a setup? With new guitars there is a period of adjustment where the setup needs to be done a few times as the wood settles into it's new position. It's not a "one and done" situation.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Reviews: 11

your right, you should have gotten the K7 hahaha

and ive never bought any (so far, knock on wood) but i certainly hate mine once in a while. my edge pro 7 has to be the hardest bridge ive ever had to work with. so i just finally said f**k it and i took the tremol-no out on my rg570 and put it into the 1527. problem solved!!
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:32 PM

Reviews: 2
Smile Re: Ever bought a guitar and hated it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Daniels View Post
Has anyone else bought a guitar and then wound up wanting to throw it out a window? Long story short, I bought a 7 string to play some Liquid Tension Experiment with a drummer I work with. The local music store had 3 7 stringers to choose from. I should have bought the K-7, but I went with the S7320. It won't hold a setup. The action above the 12th fret is horrid. While it's not a bad guitar, it's not the shred machine I wanted, it's hard to play, and I can't give this thing away.
I'd love to buy your guitar but I live far away in Romania.

All she needs is love and a proper set-up. LOL!

Last edited by Orochimaru; 04-04-2011 at 05:52 AM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 03:56 AM

Reviews: 3

Never bought one I hated, but sure have played a few...
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:51 AM

I've bought a few guitars I thought I would love and just never bonded with at all. For example, every single J Custom I've had was just a soul less chunk of wood to me. Very nicely executed, but clearly meant for someone else. I haven't bought any that i canthink of that I hated, fortunately, and I've gone through 100's in the 37 years I've been playing.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Ever bought a guitar and hated it?

Never hated any guitars! However, I love the oddly shaped bodies, but just can't seem to get comfortable with them...

I had a few Rhoads V's, a Kelly, Gorky Park, Warlocks, Iceman, etc...And non strat styled guitars are difficult for me to get comfortable with... Too bad cause I love a weird body!!!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:43 AM

there a long list :
1. Edwards ECY 130D, hate everything in there.
2. Jacksonstars SL2J, Hate the way it sounds.
3. Ibanez RGRT47DX, I still have no idea why did I buy this..
4. Squire Strat, junk.
5. Les paul copy, another junk.
6. Yamaha APX500 acoustic, can't play accoustic.

now, Guitar that I want to buy but I'm prety sure end up hating it :24 frets Yamaha Pacifica custom or Yamaha RGX 821 something...
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:55 AM

Every guitar i've bought i have loved and have been awesome sounding guitars, i'll buy guitars like i buy a car though: test drive it and everything before purchase so i've never had any problems with not liking them, even the two jem777's i bought online sounded amazing and it was love at first site with both of them (but you can't go wrong with a 777)
never know though man it might grow on you once you have solved those problems.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 06:23 AM

Reviews: 13

My Jem 555. This guitar has given me many years of post purchase cognitive dissonance. Years ago (2000) I bought it because I wanted a Jem. I did no research and didn't realise that it wasn't a MIJ 'proper' version of a Jem, I thought that the $1500.00 price tag sounded reasonable or an Ibanez Jem, I had the money, so I got it. After a couple of months of pride in my new 'Jem' (or what I thought was a real Jem), I then stumbled on this site. It was then that I realised the error of my ways and initially felt quite cheated. The guitar looks great, has great pick ups and plays well from the neck but I am scared of the trem. I can't sell the guitar because I don't think I would get anywhere near my money back. It looks cool on the wall next to my 'real' Jems (great contrast with the 7VWH) so thats about where it will live for the rest of it's days, or until my boy wants a mid level guitar. The guitar looks cool but if I had my time again...........

-Wolfram
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:59 AM

Ibanez EX360 First big name brand guitar and biggest piece of garbage I ever owned

Gibson 50th Anniv. Explorer - Saw the picture and specs online and knew it was a limited edition moidel. Had to have it so I called my guy months before it was released got a price from him and paid it off, when it got there I found out it had a smaller than regular body and that ruined it for me.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Nope, I never bought a guitar without playing it first.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 03:35 PM

PRS custom22 .
Major disappointment .
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 03:50 PM

I hated the trem on my EX170 and have always felt that it hampered my learning, and that made me not like the guitar. As a kid, I was always fiddling with it, and thus going out of tune. If my first guitar had been a hardtail I think I would have started better. But....in the late 1980's and as a EVH fan there was no way I'd buy one.

When I was shopping for my first "expensive" guitar (that's relative, to me it was $800) I went into GC and played everything. I went with the "I don't care what it looks like, if it plays well buy it". I walked out with a Dean Dimebag tribute Dean From Hell. Played great, loved the sound....but the look just eventually got to me. I just couldn't get over the thought of everyone expecting me to bust out Cowboys From Hell. So I traded it on an explorer.

Last edited by Displaced Hokie; 05-08-2011 at 04:46 PM.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Hokie View Post
I just couldn't get over the thought of everyone expecting me to bust out Cowboys From Hell. So I traded it on an explorer.
That's the major problem with signatures or models which are too attached to their players.
Jems ARE Vai so when you play a jem people expect to hear Vai lol
About 4 years ago I went to a weeding....oops wedding( ) party of a friend of mine and there was a crap band playing stupid wedding songs(you all know those songs they always play in weddings ), guitarist had a white jem and the only thought that came to my mind was = poor guitar,it tought it'd be played by Vai but it's in Brazil playing stupid wedding songs with a terrible digitech something tone bwahahahahahahahahahaha
That's why I never bought a signature.
When you have your own music you don't have anything in your playing and lookings connected to another player

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode