Evilbay Trend - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Evilbay Trend

Hey guys

I noticed a trend on evilbay auctions, whenever I ask the seller a question about the item, there are a couple of users that have no feedback and jack the price up by the hundreds

Are the bidders all the same person?

I dont think they are scammers but the are jacking up their price so they can get a high price on it

Anybody else experience that or notice it?

Wildchild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 07:26 AM

Re: Evilbay Trend

Hard to say. I see alot of acutions get bids for 0 feedback bidders. Yes the price goes up but without seeing ip's I won't directly accuse the seller of doing so. I tend to stay away from auctions if possible and prefer BIN items for a reasonable price. When I do auctions I have my top price I will pay and if it goes over that I don't buy it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:27 AM

Yeh there was a beat up LNG on the Bay recently, it was at around 500 for most of the time, then I zero feedback bidder pumped it up to around 1800 I would laugh if some muppet actually paid that price for it
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 09:41 AM

Reviews: 1

Happens all the time, but you can't prove it as Cosmic said, without some IP addys.
I will try avoiding that, just by waiting until the last few seconds to bid. People get PO'ed when you snipe something out from under them, but it helps reduce the amount of shill bidding by holding off.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 AM

You cannot do it from the same IP address. Try it and see what happens . It's called shill bidding and 3bay will suspend you for 2 weeks on the first offense & perma-ban you on the 2nd. How do I know this? I had an old Leica lens up and a guy told me it was a Russian copy. After research I agreed and wanted to pull the item. Not knowing what would happen when I pulled it, I had a friend log on my computer and become the high bidder, then I closed the auction. All my stuff was pulled (30 items right in the middle of the 7 day auction) and I was banned for 2 weeks. Even though I documented that the auction was ended within 3 minutes after the "shill" bid, they didn't care a bit and basically told me to f off. Now you can still shill bid, but you can't do it from the same IP that the main account has logged in on.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 05:33 PM

A lot of people get friends to bid on their items. Their friends act as their reserve price. Tell your friend to bid i.e. $1500, if it goes above that, great, for them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode