External harddrives without internal fans? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Question External harddrives without internal fans?

Hi,

I thought it was a bad idea not to have some sort of internal cooling system, in the form of, for instance, a fan when using a harddrive? I've been looking at external harddrives, and there seem to plenty who don't have fans.

What am I missing here? Do they have some other kind of cooling system? Or don't they need to be cooled, because they're not used as intensely as an internal harddrive?

I'm just curious.

Alwin

Last edited by Myst and rain; 04-04-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Added a comma after the word 'system' in the first sentance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 03:02 PM

Re: External harddrives without internal fans?

If it is just a hard drive in the box, then heat isn't that much of a problem, even if they are being used intensively. Heat will dissipate quickly enough through the case. Inside a PC you have an environment that is hotter to begin with.

Also, look at early generation MP3 players; they all had internal hard drives running all the time and no cooling fan.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 03:04 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

avoid the fans as they're cheap, small, noisy and will squeek in short order. real PITA (unless you're getting a real nice multi-drive rack).

Get a metal case which will dissipate the heat nicely... glen
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
avoid the fans as they're cheap, small, noisy and will squeek in short order. real PITA (unless you're getting a real nice multi-drive rack).

Get a metal case which will dissipate the heat nicely... glen
+1

Metal enclosures act as a heatsink, and should wick away excess heat from the drive. Usually, this isn't a problem for external drives, though.

You could always go with flash memory, though. Noiseless, heatless, no moving parts. Certainly not practical for backing up entire hard drives, naturally, but you can get 16GB flash drives for around $40 now. Crazy stuff.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 03:11 PM

I agree with Glen and chaos731, but I also have 2 different maxtor drives on my network that have fans in and they've stayed silent enough for 2 years now. Admittedly they are probably better made than the average USB hard drive.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

That's super interesting. I don't know much about technical stuff.

Anyway, I've bought one without a fan. I've ordered a 400GB external drive from Freecom. Kind of like the ones you see here.

I'm also upgrading my internal RAM from 512MB to 2GB! I'm very excited!

Alwin
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

I've got it. It's amazing!

Alwin
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:56 AM

Most external enclosures that have a 40mm fan also have a sensor so the fun runs only when the temperature in the enclosure is higher than normal, which rarely happens because there are no other components adding heat (unlike in a Desktop).

I don't like the idea of external hard drives so instead I set up a NAS device with dual 500GB drives, so now I have a central file server and dedicated media server which I can access from any computer on my wireless network. The NAS device also acts as an FTP server so I can access files remotely even while I'm not home
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Wow, that sounds amazing! Being able to acces data from out of your home like that, is something that can come in handy, for sure.

How come you don't like the idea of external HDs, then?

Alwin
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 10:28 AM

External HDD's have only one function, storage, and they don't work standalone. A NAS device is standalone and is permanently hooked up to my router, which enables me to use it as a file server, media streaming server, ftp server (web server, download and print server as well, if required ).

Trouble is I have 3 computers and found myself duplicating my data and work, to such an extent that I had to version control them lol. Now they all sit on this central file server and can be accessed by any wifi-enabled device.

It's a great investment and very flexible because you can keep upgrading the hard drive/s in them.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

I see.

That's pretty amazing stuff you've got there, axemanrio.

Alwin
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 03:10 PM

is there any enclosures you can buy to stick a sata drive in it, with previous data on it...or does any enclosure that you add a drive in - with it require a reformat..??

i have a couple drives that i want to remove movies an etc...and usually i swap em out of my computer in and out and it will access anything like a regular drive.....will any enlosures do this..??
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 04:36 PM

You can get a SATA enclosure for that and it will not require a format for the data to be read/copied. Install the drive in your enclosure, copy data and swap it out.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 07:15 PM

can you suggest a reliable model for me cheap would work too
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 07:16 PM

ive been interested in the NAS ones so i can have a two drive setup for my two 350g sata drives - but everyone tells me the nas ones even tho sata forces a reformat..hmmmm

i wish i could find a model that would do it for me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode