Eye Strain because of monitor TV. - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Gex

Eye Strain because of monitor TV.

Alright, well, I have a fairly new Samsung SyncMaster 910mp flatscreen LCD TV/Monitor.

Thats the one.

I love it, its very high tech, it replaced my 1982 Spectracon (What the hell is spectracon? long gone brand) TV, so Its a huge improvment for me.

The only thing I use it for is to watch movies and play my Playstation 2 on. Ive been playing a bit more PS2 than usual. (I usually dont play at all! I work on geetar chops, but Ive been feelin lazy lately)

But. . .Ive noticed. . . Ive been getting some annoying, painful eye strain. I dont know why, Im sitting 2-3 feet away, and it IS a computer monitor. . .so its not like your supposed to sit far away. I used to sit alot closer to my Spectracon (because the screen was tiny)

I've had to wear sunglasses when driving to avoid pain to my eyes from the glare of the road for the past 2-3 days. I dont know why, but my monitor seems to be irritating my eyes.

I can sit on my computer (Winbook Laptop) for hours and not feel any strain. But . .after my pain had subsided pretty good, I went and played Playstation again. . .my eyes started hurting again after about 15 minutes, so I've pinpointed the problem as being the monitor.

What can I do? I want to use my TV and play my games and such. I remember hearing something about a refresh rate, but I thought that applied only to cathode-ray-tube monitors.

Thanks for any input, I'm stumped by this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 09:09 PM

Re: Eye Strain because of monitor TV.

Refresh rate applies to LCD monitors as well...right click your desktop, go to the settings tab and click advanced. from there you click the monitor tab and you should be able to play around with the refresh rate settings and see what works best for you.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Gex

Ah, I dont have a computer hooked up to it. (I bought it primarily for the TV function, just so I could have a really compact, flat TV, that could be expanded if I ever got a desktop. I'm planning on getting an Apple G5, I hope its compatable.)

I thought the refresh rate was a feature on the monitor, I didn't realize it was the computer.

Thanks though, that eliminates that possiblity.

After tinkering though menu items, the only parameters I can change are

Contrast (very high)
Brightness (middle)
Sharpness (Pretty High)
Color (full)
Tint (50%)

Perhaps contrast is the key to this?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 11:13 PM

Haha, my bad!

Having the contrast up all the way could be the problem, for sure, but sometimes the image looks best like that...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 11:51 PM

I have the same prob. I bought a Benq LCD monitor and it hurts my eyes. After an hour or so I can hardly stand it. I'm thinking of getting rid of it and trying another brand. Too bad too cause it looks great.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 11:51 PM

Simple......

Go Fishing GEX

Or anything else to just get your eyes AWAY from the monitor for a while. Stay away a day if you can. It'll work wonders

I've spent years around monitors, TV screens. Sometimes you just need a little time off bro
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Gex

Yeah, i was thinking that JJEMMER777.

But. . .its interesting that its just this monitor. I can sit in-front of my Laptop all day (what kind of screens do laptops usually have? I thought they were LCD too) and it doesnt bother me, never has. Regular TV's as well.

Now. . for the first time I've tried to use my LCD screen for an extended time. . .it kills! Ow! I'll just wear my sunglasses all tomorrow and get back to the woodshed and work on Extreme songs.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Gex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
I have the same prob. I bought a Benq LCD monitor and it hurts my eyes. After an hour or so I can hardly stand it. I'm thinking of getting rid of it and trying another brand. Too bad too cause it looks great.

Very interesting Rotti.

Very STRANGE.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 12:51 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

turn down the contrast and brightness... these are often WAAAY to brite.

the "brand" probably won't matter given the fact that samsung and one other company makes most of these LCD panels for everyone... glen
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Gex

I'll try that, thanks.

In the meantime. . .I'll be sporting the Aviators for a day or so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode