Family in my garden - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Family in my garden

My beagle found this little family in the yard this morning. My daughters have nearly lost their minds with joy and excitement at this nearly unthinkable happening! No sign of Mom, as Rick 'Hunter' Wakeman (the beagle) may have scared her off for the time being. I'll keep an eye out for her, and make sure Rick keeps his nose out of their business.
I don't know how old they are, but they are nearly full sized at about 2 inches each. They are chipmunks, and at least one has been named Alvin at this point ;-) There are 5 in this pic, and that's the lot of them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:17 AM

Re: Family in my garden

Aw, look at them so cute Me want me want
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:32 AM

Tasty with chilli sauce
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:59 AM

^+1

Blakky
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:02 PM

Are you sure those are chipmunks? B/c they look like wild baby rabbits to me, my grandmother raised wild baby rabbits all my life and these are identical to those......I have about 4 chipmunks by my house that I see everyday, everything chipmunk I have ever seen has a dark stripe down their back and are a rust color
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:04 PM

yeah, you have baby rabbits dude. very cute and of course you know not to touch them or the mom will more than likely never return to them once she smells your scent on them.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:06 PM

Change Alvin's name to Thumper.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Ack, they are indeed rabbits then I guess. We have rabbits all over the place, but these are right up against the house. I'm sure the girls have touched them as well. I thought they were cute, but I don't know if they're eyedropper and baby formula cute. I guess we just opened a nursery!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS
Are you sure those are chipmunks? B/c they look like wild baby rabbits to me, my grandmother raised wild baby rabbits all my life and these are identical to those......I have about 4 chipmunks by my house that I see everyday, everything chipmunk I have ever seen has a dark stripe down their back and are a rust color
Any ideas what your grandmother would do with these? I can't have them starving in my yard, I just can't. Whatever I need to do for these rascals I need to do.

thanks!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster
yeah, you have baby rabbits dude. very cute and of course you know not to touch them or the mom will more than likely never return to them once she smells your scent on them.
Thats true, I hope you haven't already touched them. Wild baby rabbits are virtually impossible to tame, even tho they may seem tame now, they naturally start getting wild and real scared when being handled once their about 2-3 months old.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

I found this so if I need to take them inside I'll follow the instructions to make sure they get back out again.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
Change Alvin's name to Thumper.

Very cute Jim

Definetly rabbits. I'm kinda of surprised they let your daughters touch them. Just make sure your daughters remember that baby rabbits grow up

BTW - From the title of the thread I was almost expecting to see a "Jems in Paradise" type thread
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Any ideas what your grandmother would do with these? I can't have them starving in my yard, I just can't. Whatever I need to do for these rascals I need to do.

thanks!
My grandmother would be more than happy to raise them and their life would be heaven for a rabbit. You of course would have to ship them, and I honestly don't know how you go about shipping animals. She has about 10 cages, 1 rabbit per cage. The cages are huge, each cage is about the size of a car, they have mesh on the top bottom and sides and she keeps the floor of the cage covered with fresh grass. Her life literally revoloves around her rabbits, and she has raised them since she was 12, I'd say she knows more about them than practically anybody, especially wild ones. She has about 6 of them right now, which are identical to the ones you have. Usually she gets them from people like you, who find them either in their yard via the dog, or aound the road. She cuts a bag full of fresh grass and clover for them every single day, even in the winter she finds grass and clover for them everyday, she says the love clover the best, and that grass that kinda looks like cabbage, and she usually gives them a dessert of carrotts haha. She has to keep them seperated b/c for some reason if you put rabbits together in a cage they fight each other, regardless if they've been in their together since they were born. She did tell me not to touch one unless I planned on giving it to her b/c the mom will abandon them when they smell the scent. They are believe it or not fairly high maintance as far as keeping them clean water, grass, and their pen cleaned out. They usually live for quite a few years tho, I'd say 4-8 years depending. The rabbits usually get to know her from her feeding them everyday and usually shes the only one that can handle them. Its crazy, they'll come to her and let her pick them up and pet them, but if anybody else trys to pet them they start hopping around like crazy and they WILL bite you if you try to pick them up.....once their not a baby that is, it seems like their real nice til they get about 3-4 months old. I tell her she shouldn't keep rabbits, that she should release them into the wild, and she won't have any of it. She says she can't stand the thought of a dog, wolf or snake eating one of her rabbits. I do have to say her rabbits probably live alot longer than your average rabbit, and their definitely not starving for food. All the cages have roofs so they don't get wet or too hot, and all the sides are mesh wire so they can still see each other, just not fight each other. She has a few of them she actually takes out of the cage sometimes and lets them play in the house, haha, its name is Sneaky, b/c it gets in the house and when she isn't looking runs and hides, or gets into stuff (prowls) hence the name Sneaky. A pet rabbit you buy in the store is very easy to take care of and would be a great pet for your daughters, but wild ones on the other hand would not. Alot of the ones she has she cannot tame, and don't like to be petted, one of them actualy died right in her hands when she picked it up, she thinks it had a heart attack, it was about 2 months old, its the only one that has died on her like that, like i said, most of them usually live to be about 4-8 years. She gets to know their pesonality and she knows what each one likes best to eat, which ones like to be petted, etc.....

Let me know if you would like to give them a good home, I'm sure your daughters would beg you otherwise but I'm just being totally honest with you, unless they plan on revolving their lives around that rabbit for the next 4-8 years it would be better to let someone have them who would. They all almost always get wild, no matter how much you pet them, and will not allow anyone to pet them unless its somebody like my grandmother who has rabbit blood in her veins haha. If your daughters kept them, in about 2-3 months when they start getting wild they will either A) run from you or try to bite you when you try to pet them, or B) Scare them half to death trying to pet them.

If you let them back in the wild, without the help of their mom its hard to say if they would ever make it.

Last edited by PatrickSimsCustomShopUSA; 06-16-2006 at 02:10 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
BTW - From the title of the thread I was almost expecting to see a "Jems in Paradise" type thread
From the title of the thread I was expecting to hear about someone finding bones in their garden or something when they tilled it haha

Last edited by PatrickSimsCustomShopUSA; 06-16-2006 at 02:11 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 02:07 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

very cute rabbits... thankfully artie bucco is not around ...glen

ps - you really should let them alone they'll dispurse over time assuming they're cared for (they should sleep alot and feed in the evening)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode