The Fan: What Bands and Companys Forget - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

The Fan: What Bands and Companys Forget

What can make a break a Band or Company is there fan base. Sometimes in this world, I believe companys and bands sometimes forget who got them to where they are today, The Fan.

We as a human, are naturally influenced by others around us. And it seems that when a Band or Company gets to a point in there career they forget who put them on the map, The Fan. With out us they wouldnt be here. Now that said company or band becomes a household name they tend to forget fan involvement and go into a direction of how to take advantage of the situation.

Lets give an example of a band that has an incredible fan base and reasons why. For sake of argument I will pick the Dave Matthews Band. DMB has always been fan based, since there inception they allowed taping of there shows, this was a incredible piece of there success. It involved fans, it spread there music to the masses. There fans are devote and follow them around the world. Same goes for the Grateful Dead, Phish, etc etc.

With out the fans bands like these would never have the success they currently have. And I think sometimes Bands and Companys forget who is responsable for there success..

Bands need to bring back audience/fan interaction. Not restricting there fanbase

Companys need to listen more to there fanbase. Instead of just releasing something on a whim and it doing mediocre, when they could easily listen to what people are wanting which will continue to have fan support.

I know im ranting but it just seems lately that alot of us our beginning to lose respect and beginning to find alternatives to some of our favorite bands/companys.

Confused,
Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 10:49 AM

Re: The Fan: What Bands and Companys Forget

I've got a feeling this one's going to get heated...

lol
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 10:58 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

this is human nature & the self-absorbed nature of "performers". lets face facts that many, many "performers" and "artists" are narcissistic (LOOK AT ME PERFORM!!!!) and have a brain that works with "art/music" not public relations, math, business, etc.

DMB is probably the exception to the rule. Now go to a "satch" aftershow and tell me what you think when you leave.

Enhancing this effect is the business relationship between the studio/riaa and the artist. in short the artists become slaves to lawyers of the studio who receives most of the $$$ compensation from the artist's music. The "bands" $$$ is from marketing, endorsement, merchandise and hence even "interacting" with the band now costs $$$ for a premium package (soundcheck, ticket, aftershow package). again it's human nature to allow this to trickle down.... glen
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

I agree to a point Glen that alot of it is politics and also legalitys. But the Band/Artist/Company is who the legal dept, marketing, studio, etc works for. An artist can bring forth a change, the artist can make demands prior to entering into a legal contract which would enable fan support not throw them to the wayside.

The fans are who there targeting if im not mistaken we buy the cds, dvds, books, products. So why you have to ask yourself would an artist/band/company not care what the fans have to say?

Imagine if you will a world tour without fans. A company with products no one buys. both would never happen.

We are the soul reason they exist. We are what puts money in there bank accounts. We are why they do what they do. Without us they are a player in his/her bedroom, or a product out in a garage.

It doesnt take much to get fans involved, but lately it seems we are thrown to the waist side to marketing gimmicks.

again I will bring up DMB they recently did a Free Concert in Central Park.. FREE.. Now they did turn that around and make it profitable for themselves, they released a DVD of the show and also a CD set of the performance. Which sold out immediatly and still is selling to this day. They also added shows to there Red Rocks Co, performances and all proceeds went to help disaster reliefs. THAT IS WHY THERE FANS are loyal and all most cult like.

Im not asking for bands/artists/companys to do as we please, im asking them to at least listen to what we have to say.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:14 AM

I must admit that I've always thought that it's fine to watch a bootleg so long as you support the artist/band by buying their merchandise.

I'm not knocking Vai here because like Glen says, it's probably beyond Vai himself, but considering we spend literally thousands and thousands on merchandise when we buy his guitars, DVDs, CDs, T-shirts, etc. It does kind of irritate you when you aren't allowed to watch a taping of footage that was on TV in another country.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:20 AM
site founder 0% owner

I hear you but i think most POPULAR artists are incapable of such ponderings, if even there was the need.

How many artist (or pro athletes) could hold a highly-successful job in the real world? You're using logic and ideas that many cannot or don't want to comprehend & ponder. Some just want the "freedom" to be an artist and not deal with anything else (or deal with that stuff as little as possible via allowing their mgmt/agents/lawyers deal with everything).

Finally, since the "music" and "performances" are their livelihood, it is natural to be highly defensive about these... especially when you're GROSSLY MISLEAD as a group by your leaders (MPAA/RIAA)... glen
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

its not just that Ibanez249 and I would prefer if you edited your post this wasnt pointed at that situation. Its a general synopsis(sp) of the way things are now a days.

Last edited by ibanezcollector; 01-30-2006 at 11:25 AM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:23 AM

Which situation?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

the one in your post LOL
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:26 AM

I sort of think it's relevent though, all things considered...
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

OK its just I dont want people to think this is just about Vai.com's decision on that.

Were talking about others too..
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector
I would prefer if you edited your post this wasnt pointed at that situation
telling a moderator to edit their post.........HA! seriously though, i think a lot of the reason for your disgust in artists/companies is that music is a BUSINESS.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:41 AM

glen, I really wonder what happens in Satch aftershow? Is he a narcissist? I never thought of him that way before... Could you please tell?

Cheers
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:48 AM
site founder 0% owner

two satch aftershow experiences here...

1. didn't show up... skipped it (G3 w/ Kenny Wayne)

2. had "fans" stand in line where he stood at the door (to the aftershow room) to shake hands or sign something quickly and be dismissed (solo tour circa 2000).

YMMV... glen
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette6600
telling a moderator to edit their post.........HA! seriously though, i think a lot of the reason for your disgust in artists/companies is that music is a BUSINESS.
I'm not a mod, but that would've been funny, lol

Tags
billy sheehan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode