Federal election today . . . - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Federal election today . . .

Hey - for any of you Canadians - make sure you get out and vote today - tomorrow we find out who the new Prime Minister is. I'm gonna go after dinner . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 03:46 PM

Re: Federal election today . . .

Sounds exciting, get out and vote Canada!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Well - it's looking like another Conservative minority. For those of you in the states - the conservatives called this election EARLY to try and win a majority. But nothing changed. We just have millions of dollars less to spend on important things because of their campaigning.

Warning - this election is looking to have the LOWEST VOTER TURNOUT in a long time. All you Americans - GET OUT AND VOTE. It's the only way politicians will ever listen to you.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 11:13 AM

It seems 48% of eligible Canadians voted. I don't know whether to be sad for Canada or jealous of Canada! I think it may be too much to hope for that we'll see that percentage of voter turnout ourselves.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Federal election today . . .

Yeah, that would be "Rock The Vote" eh...hoser!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 11:49 AM

The Conservatives called this early because the polls showed they would get a majority. Then the stock market crashed...

The opposition accused the conservatives of not fixing the economy (personally, I think the U.S. economy has a lot more control over the Canadian economy than the government does). The polls reflected this campaigning.

It's sad that so few people voted. Political panelists are saying it is because it was called so early (2 1/2 years into a 4 year term). There's no excuse not to vote. I don't know how it works in the U.S., but in Canada, employees are given a couple of paid hours to go vote during working hours.

For the people that don't vote, you have no right to complain about how your country is run. If you did vote and you don't like how things are going, well then bitch away...

I hope the U.S. election has a good turnout and the voters make well-informed decisions. After all, when the U.S. is doing well, so is Canada.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Well it turns out about 59% of Canadians voted - which is the lowest turnout in a long time. But considering the Conservatives have a minority, the ruling party has essentially been elected by 20-25% of the voting population. BS I say. Many I've talked to say there were no real issues to divide the parties this election (and thus stimulate voters), and that the Conservative platform was to pretty much just badmouth the other parties, and never mention any of their own policies. I guess it worked . . .

But the election didn't change much, except taxpayers are $300 million out of pocket.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode