Female guitarists... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Angry Female guitarists...

Seem to get a LOT more attention then guys. Orianthi for instance... At best a mediocre guitarist, but has a TON of publicity. I watched her do her EVH cover solo for "Beat It" and was not impressed, but the guys watching her were basically saying it was the greatest guitar work ever performed.

Likewise, I see a LOT of hugely talented guitarists with little to no recognition, and they are constantly being flamed for having "no soul" or "feeling" in their music. Whats the difference I ask.

Some chick on youtube has like 50 million views, and frankly her skills are average? I can appreciate the marketability of a hot chick playing guitar, but lets call it what it is... a hot chick playing guitar. I've heard orianthi the "next clapton", worse yet "equal to Steve Vai" (I about puked... she has a song duet with vai... very simple phrasing, nothing extraordinary about it), etc.

Kind of a rant thread, but Im curious what the concensus of this is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 AM

Re: Female guitarists...

Here's a 16 year old girl with the finesse and phrasing not only beyond her years but beyond most female guitarists I've ever heard:

http://www.guitarnoize.com/blog/comm...ng-fine-by-ale
post #3 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnoize View Post
Here's a 16 year old girl with the finesse and phrasing not only beyond her years but beyond most female guitarists I've ever heard:

http://www.guitarnoize.com/blog/comm...ng-fine-by-ale
dont get me wrong. Some excellent female guitarists (Kat for example) are out there. Im just saying a vast majority of them are over rated for the wrong reasons (i.e. they have tits and a cute face...)
post #4 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 07:39 AM

Anybody remembers Jennifer Batten?
post #5 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:26 AM

Wow, you brought up so many pointless arguments and conflated them all into such a mess, I don't know where to begin. "soul v. technique," "overrated/deserving of fame," and of course, sexism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
. . . , but Im curious what the concensus of this is.
There's no consensus, people like what they like and . . . it's okay. They're allowed. They don't need your permission or approval.

The world of music is not a skills competition; most listeners are not going to demand a bpm count before they judge a song or a solo. And again, it's okay if performers use sex appeal to sell their performance. Been goin' on a long, long time, and it will be going on after we are gone. Women are capable of as much musical achievement as men are.

Now, for Orianthi in particular, I am surprised at the reaction to her on this board. In case some of you haven't noticed, she is one of the few people who are playing guitar who are reaching a very young, very large, and very mainstream audience. We should be happy for her success because it's good for electric guitar music.

Peace

Mike
post #6 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Female guitarists...

I agree with Mikey!

There are countless undeserving male players too! Either due to sloppy playing, or bad attitudes. It's all about being in the right place at the right time...

Orianthi however is an extremely good player!

A few (not in order) of over rated sloppy crap players, IMO who receive more accolades than they deserve!

1-Jimi Hendrix
2-Jimmy Page
3-Eric Clapton
4-BB King
5-Ace Frehley
6-Pete Townshend

The thing is though, taste is a personal opinion. I'd rather see Lita Ford any day of the week over these craptastic douche bags! But that's just me...
post #7 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Wow, you brought up so many pointless arguments and conflated them all into such a mess, I don't know where to begin. "soul v. technique," "overrated/deserving of fame," and of course, sexism.

There's no consensus, people like what they like and . . . it's okay. They're allowed. They don't need your permission or approval.

The world of music is not a skills competition; most listeners are not going to demand a bpm count before they judge a song or a solo. And again, it's okay if performers use sex appeal to sell their performance. Been goin' on a long, long time, and it will be going on after we are gone. Women are capable of as much musical achievement as men are.

Now, for Orianthi in particular, I am surprised at the reaction to her on this board. In case some of you haven't noticed, she is one of the few people who are playing guitar who are reaching a very young, very large, and very mainstream audience. We should be happy for her success because it's good for electric guitar music.

Peace

Mike

+1 on all of it.
post #8 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:43 AM

If you're a guitarist worried or peeved by another's success, you need to get off the internet/facebook/youtube pick up your guitar and friggin' practice more/harder.
post #9 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 AM

It doesn't matter how good you are, but how good the music you produce is.

If you get big on a three chord wonder with no solos, then more power to you. I prefer the more musical songs but three chord hits are sometimes better. For example, I've always loved The Cult's music. Very simple, very easy, very awesome. Now, Yngwie Malmsteen may be able to run rings around the Cult's guitarist, but Malmsteen's music is very samey.

All guitarists are cool, from beginners to Steve Vai.
post #10 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

You guys are totally missing the point of my post.....

Im not questioning the talent of a certain few females.... Im questioning why females in general are held to a higher esteem then males... If you youtube guitarists on ebay, you will find hundreds of virtuosos on the guitar, and most of them are flamed to death by people giving them ****.

some chick in a tube top comes on and plays a marginal at best solo, and shes claimed to be equal to vai.... THATS my problem.

Its actually reverse sexism. Orianthi didnt get her gig with Michael Jackson(a personal hero of mine) because of her "talent" on the guitar. She IS talented, but there are hundreds of better, male, guitarists that would have sufficed. She got hired because she was hot and young. Kudos. That doesnt make her equal to vai's playing.

Thats my question... stop reading too much into things mikey... You should also read up the definition of "consensus".

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
I agree with Mikey!

There are countless undeserving male players too! Either due to sloppy playing, or bad attitudes. It's all about being in the right place at the right time...

Orianthi however is an extremely good player!

A few (not in order) of over rated sloppy crap players, IMO who receive more accolades than they deserve!

The thing is though, taste is a personal opinion. I'd rather see Lita Ford any day of the week over these craptastic douche bags! But that's just me...
This was actually my point....

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanrio View Post
If you're a guitarist worried or peeved by another's success, you need to get off the internet/facebook/youtube pick up your guitar and friggin' practice more/harder.

you totally and completely misunderstood my post or didnt read it all the way through lol

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 02-02-2011 at 10:24 AM.
post #11 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Its actually reverse sexism. Orianthi didnt get her gig with Michael Jackson(a personal hero of mine) because of her "talent" on the guitar. She IS talented, but there are hundreds of better, male, guitarists that would have sufficed.
I don't understand why you have a problem with that. Her playing doesn't impress me but I don't really care who she plays with or who she's compared to.... the same way I don't care what Britney Spears is up to or if rap is now popular music.

My point is keep your eye on the ball if you want to play a good game, and maybe win.
post #12 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:34 AM

Reviews: 1

They're held in higher esteem because they are
#1) the exception to the rule
#2) bring in sexual attraction and emotion to the male listener,
#3) are far more marketable as the majority of the buying/playing public is male, and finally #4) it's cool as hell to watch a really good female guitarist.

Guitar is Big Business and marketing is the key to success. Satch and Steve have done a fabulous job at recognizing, developing and executing the business model - Steve has always been a proponant and supporter of female players- he thinks like a record-label owner as well as a player.

~j
post #13 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
#3) are far more marketable as the majority of the buying/playing public is male, and finally #4) it's cool as hell to watch a really good female guitarist.

Guitar is Big Business and marketing is the key to success. Satch and Steve have done a fabulous job at recognizing, developing and executing the business model.

~j
Amen, couldn't be explained better.
post #14 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post

Guitar is Big Business and marketing is the key to success. Satch and Steve have done a fabulous job at recognizing, developing and executing the business model.

~j
Im not questioning the marketability of the matter. Sex sells! But, why are average female guitarists ("shredders" if you will) held to a higher esteem? Thats MY curiousity. Why is orianthi widely regarded as "vai's equal"? Thats my question!!!

hot chicks playing guitars is awesome, not ever going debate that.
post #15 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
She IS talented, but there are hundreds of better
The better guitarist... Start a thread about who is best. Always good reading. If she is able to play what she's told to play, she's good enough. The fact that people can stand to look at her through a concert/music video - even better!

She = any female guitarist.

Tags
greas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode